DUP to reshuffle - just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!!!!!!!!

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, June 09, 2009, 02:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

It is believed an announcement on a new team could be made within days.

It is thought MP Nigel Dodds will remain at finance; Gregory Campbell and Sammy Wilson are likely to stand aside.

There is speculation that Nelson McCausland is a possibility to take Mr Campbell's post as culture minister.

Edwin Poots is viewed as a contender to succeed Mr Wilson in Environment.

Good god if there waas one other person on the face of this earth who could possibly be a worse culture minister then Campbell then it would be this fella!

Bad news (if confirmed) for the GAA and Irish language!
Tbc....

lynchbhoy

also prob will up the effort to convince folk that alstar skats is something real and indeed of some 'cultural' significance too as opposed to it being makey uppy... ;D

A Quinn Martin Production

I remember Nel-Boy standing in my old constituency of North Belfast years ago and getting about half a dozen votes.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 09, 2009, 02:49:28 PM
also prob will up the effort to convince folk that alstar skats is something real and indeed of some 'cultural' significance too as opposed to it being makey uppy... ;D

Lynchbhoy didn't know you could speak Ulster-scotch!
Tbc....

T Fearon

When will the British and Irish governments pull the plug on this farce and implement joint authority?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Tbc....

ziggysego

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 22, 2009, 12:50:08 PM
Sammy Wilson is new finance minister!! Holy f**k!

BREAKING NEWS: Sammy Wilson denies we are in a Recession.
Testing Accessibility

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

DUP reshuffle ministerial team 

Sammy Wilson becomes the new Stormont Finance Minister, replacing Nigel Dodds as part of a DUP reshuffle.

Edwin Poots takes on Mr Wilson's old job as Environment Minister, while Nelson McCausland replaces Gregory Campbell as Culture Minister.

Robin Newton, an East Belfast MLA replaces Jeffrey Donaldson as junior minister.

The DUP leader Peter Robinson had promised the reshuffle as a way to end so-called double jobbing.

Mr Robinson has made an exception in Sammy Wilson's case as he will remain a Stormont Minister and a Westminster MP.

More soon.

Tbc....

Maguire01

Regarding the Culture, Arts & Leisure portfolio - i'd assume that when the parties choose their departments, it would be well down the order of preferences. Should SF not try and secure this next time (i.e. after the next elections), given their supposed interest in GAA and the Irish language, to ensure the DUP don't hold onto it?

Maguire01

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 22, 2009, 12:50:08 PM
Sammy Wilson is new finance minister!! Holy f**k!
I suppose when the 'double jobbing' comes to an end, a lot of parties will struggle to appoint ministers of any calibre. But this really is pushing it.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Have to say I'm surprised that the DUP MPs all prefer their Westminster seats, which in reality have little or no power, to ministries at Stormont. Why would Dodds give up his ministerial post? Is that not likely affect his chances of becoming the next DUP leader? And why make the exception for Wilson but not Dodds? Whatever else about Doddsy, he's clearly more capable than Wilson.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Maguire01

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on June 22, 2009, 01:37:11 PM
And why make the exception for Wilson but not Dodds? Whatever else about Doddsy, he's clearly more capable than Wilson.
It's the phasing out of the double-jobbing, i'd imagine.
I heard reference to this being basically a work in progress up to the next Westminster elections. I'd imagine the plan is to introduce new ministers to the less critical departments (e.g. DCAL) and transfer those with some ministerial experience (regardless of how inept they may be) to the more critical departments (e.g. DFP).

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Sammy pants down will be the only DUP minister with a westminister seat (except for Robbo).

Said on the radio that Sammy was seen as the ideal candidate for finance as he was once an economics teacher!

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on June 22, 2009, 01:37:11 PM
Have to say I'm surprised that the DUP MPs all prefer their Westminster seats, which in reality have little or no power, to ministries at Stormont. Why would Dodds give up his ministerial post? Is that not likely affect his chances of becoming the next DUP leader? And why make the exception for Wilson but not Dodds? Whatever else about Doddsy, he's clearly more capable than Wilson.

They get paid more at Westminister.
Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Minister sparks row with GAA comments By Barry McCaffrey
23/06/09

New culture minister Nelson McCausland New culture minister Nelson McCausland last night insisted he would refuse to attend any events held in GAA grounds named after republicans.

In January last year then DUP culture, arts and leisure minister Edwin Poots made history when he attended a GAA match in Newry.

In February this year his successor Gregory Campbell held a function at Stormont for All-Ireland champions Tyrone.

However, in what is being seen as a concession to DUP hardliners following the party's disastrous European election result, North Belfast assembly member Nelson McCausland was yesterday named as Mr Campbell's replacement.

Other changes include Sammy Wilson replacing Nigel Dodds as finance minister, Edwin Poots taking over the environment portfolio from Mr Wilson and Robin Newton taking the place of Jeffrey Donaldson as junior minister.

Within hours of his appointment Mr McCausland, who has previously accused the GAA of having an "Irish republican political agenda", sparked controversy when he indicated he would not set foot in GAA grounds named after republicans.

Questioned if he would attend any GAA matches, he said: "Most GAA matches are played on a Sunday but because of my religious convictions I will not attend a GAA match on a Sunday.

"I hope to meet the GAA as soon as possible to learn more about their plans for the future."

Asked about events not held on a Sunday, he said: "I haven't taken up the position yet.

"I'm sure it's something which will be discussed when I meet the GAA."

In the past Mr McCausland, left, has publicly criticised the naming of GAA grounds and competitions after historic figures including Roger Casement and Sam Maguire.

Insisting he would not attend such grounds, he said last night: "I think it would be insensitive if they were to invite a unionist to such an occasion.

"I'm sure that will not happen. I want to share with them the concerns which unionists have about these matters.

"These are issues which must be discussed as part of any talks about a shared future."

Sinn Fein's Barry McElduff last night said Mr McCausland would not be allowed to "play politics" with the GAA.

"In the past Nelson McCausland has shown himself to be narrow-minded and intolerant when it came to the GAA and the Irish language," he said.

"He has an opportunity to adopt a different approach now that he is minister."

Mr McElduff said the DUP had a choice of continuing its power-sharing partnership at Stormont or continuing looking over its shoulder at former member Jim Allister.

"All of the decisions within the executive require cross-party support," he said.

"Nelson McCausland won't be allowed to get away with persecuting the GAA or the Irish language."

Tbc....

full back

He is a cnut
Cue more point scoring with the GAA being used as a pawn ::)