Best Point Ever Scored

Started by corcaioch, June 09, 2009, 01:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

The Rock vs Limerick in 2001 - Near his own goal and stuck it over the bar
John Leahy vs Galway in 2000 - Faked a shot and flicked it over the head of Cathal Moore, before tapping it over
John Troy vs Kilkenny 1995 - Dribbled the ball along the ground before whipping it over the bar (should have been a goal)

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ludermor on June 09, 2009, 03:50:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9HyF9tDaJQ
love this point!

EDIT: Gl got their before me!

I was right behind it on the Hill that day.

Red Hurley

Ciaran Carey against Clare, outstanding point from one of the greatest.

maxpower

Ciaran Carey for me, had everything

from my own bias, Clute's goal v Offaly when on his knees was special
What happens next????

johnneycool

Quote from: INDIANA on June 09, 2009, 07:17:11 PM
Quote from: orangeman on June 09, 2009, 06:14:06 PM
Carey's was brilliant no doubt about that - but IMHO DJ's was pure skill, poetry in motion, AI final -

But everybody has a different opinion.

Wasn't there one that DJ scored whilst almost lying on the ground under the Cusack stand against Galway around 2001 ???

The other one people haven't mentioned  is one of the greatest team points of all time. Eddie probably won't want to be reminded of it. But in 1991 the leinster final was 2 mins into injury time and wexford were point up and kilkenny worked the ball up the pitch in a series of diagonal passes before eamonn morrissey delivered the coup de gras. Brilliant score.

Was at that game, unreal from the get go,  but if i remember correctly that point actually started out in the Kilkenny corner where the hill and the old cusack meet and with a series of short passes all the way up to Eamon Morrissey to put it over.
One of the best games I've seen back in the day when Leinster finals drew a crowd.

The GAA

Yeah, it has to be Ciaran Carey's for me too. The rock's was mighty too - the replay from behind his own goals ably demonstrates the power of the man.

mckieran

QuoteKevin Broderick V KK in 2001

or

Ciaran Carey v Clare in 1996
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fayiAfDvzgM

I remember Brodericks point and I really dont think TV shows just how good it was.

Carey's was also real inspirational stuff

Bing Crosby .

I was there and I'll never forget it .  After watching it there again on youtube the hair stood up on the back of my neck and my eyes flooded with tears .
Cairan Carey .

Tim Buzaglo

Quote from: Bing Crosby . on June 10, 2009, 01:16:50 PM

I was there and I'll never forget it .  After watching it there again on youtube the hair stood up on the back of my neck and my eyes flooded with tears .
Cairan Carey .

Fanny!
Will we ever see another one?

ceol agus peil

Sent from my iphone

didlyi

Quote from: Bing Crosby . on June 10, 2009, 01:16:50 PM

Cairan Carey .

I nearly cried too, but Im from Clare. That was the hardest defeat to take in my many years of following clare. The roar of the cowd after still rings in me ears.

muppet

Quote from: INDIANA on June 09, 2009, 05:59:54 PM
Some of you are completely mssing the idea of this. To be the greatest point of all time - it only counts if its in a tight game when the pressure is at its zenith. The likes of quigley's, the rock and DJ's points are all great scores but none of them were at the business end of  a tight game.
Ciaran Carey's by a mile. Brodericks probably next. But you couldn't beat Carey's - for skill, power, pace, drama and and then the pressure was its zenith. Unbelievable score.

I agree with all of that. Carey's was one of the best scores I've seen in any sport.

Graham Taylor famously showed a video of that match to his Watford (I think) team just before a crucial promotion game. The players enjoyed the game and afterwards Taylor asked the players why did they think he had showed them that video.

The players replied with words such as pride, determination, teamwork etc.

Taylor said that he had showed them the video because the hurlers were all amateurs and that if amateurs could produce intensity and commitment such as they did in that game then well played professionals such be able to do it when their team needed it.
MWWSI 2017

Premier Emperor

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 09, 2009, 09:52:23 PM
Quote from: ludermor on June 09, 2009, 03:50:50 PM
love this point!

EDIT: Gl got their before me!

I was right behind it on the Hill that day.
Its easy put them over when you have Philly Larkin puffing and wheezing behind you!
Kennedy at centre back was on a yellow card too, otherwise he'd have flattened Broderick.

Premier Emperor

Quote from: mckieran on June 10, 2009, 11:45:36 AM
Ciaran Carey v Clare in 1996
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fayiAfDvzgM

Carey's was also real inspirational stuff
[/quote]
The Clare defence were falling over like drunks on an ice rink there.
If he didn't get that point, he should have been ashamed of himself.

monny14

Would have to be Joe Canning for Portumna vs Ballyhale Shamrocks in 2009.He's soon to be king when henry shefflin retires.his auntie is  my babysitter.