Setanta Sport on the brink of collapse.

Started by mournerambler, June 08, 2009, 05:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred the red

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on July 07, 2009, 05:33:39 PM
ESPN to launch UK sports channel

The US broadcaster ESPN has announced plans to launch a new UK sports channel, called ESPN, on 3 August.

The channel will show 46 live Barclays Premier League football games, which were to have been shown by Setanta until it missed a payment deadline.

The channel will also show some of the US sports to which ESPN owns rights.

ESPN has reached an initial deal to have the channel shown on Sky, but it is in talks with all UK pay-TV platforms about carrying the service.

Sky will also be responsible for selling advertising on the new channel.

ESPN owns the rights to broadcast 46 live Premier League games in the 2009/10 season and 23 matches for each of the following three seasons.

Sky's residential customers will have to pay a premium of £9 a month for the new channel if they already pay for Sky Sports or £12 a month if they do not.

For commercial customers it will be part of the "ultimate" channel package.

The Premier League matches on ESPN will be produced by Sky Sports, although it will feature ESPN branding.

ESPN also owns rights to show American football, ice hockey, baseball and college football and basketball throughout Europe, which it used to show in the UK on its ESPN America channel.

ESPN is owned by The Walt Disney Company.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8138992.stm

Another £9 a month to watch the premiership this season then. Not sure if it will be worth it as they won't show as many sports as the Setanta package offered

does this mean that if you wanted to watch only this package, you have to subscribe to a sky package (maybe at £15/month for basic) plus £9 for the ESPN package?

bit of a raw deal for the consumer as it was only £13 a month on setanta

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on July 07, 2009, 05:51:34 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 07, 2009, 05:39:45 PM
Anyone know where all the PGA Golf tournaments are being shown?
They use to be on Setanta but obviously aren't anymore,so I wonder who has the rights now,Sky aren't showing anything other than what they already did

Seems to be Eurosport UK are showing it for the rest of the season.

http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/169762/us-pga-tour-be-broadcast-eurosport-uk

Cheers..I don't have that channel on my NTL though  >:( :'(
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: fred the red on July 07, 2009, 05:59:11 PM

does this mean that if you wanted to watch only this package, you have to subscribe to a sky package (maybe at £15/month for basic) plus £9 for the ESPN package?

bit of a raw deal for the consumer as it was only £13 a month on setanta

If you have Sky and subscribe to Sky Sports it will cost you £9 per month. If you have Sky and don't subscribe to Sky Sports, it will cost you £13 per month.
Im not sure if they will offer it through Freeview like Setanta did.

TacadoirArdMhacha

I see ESPN have bought up Setanta's EPL rights for Ireland as well.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8140190.stm

Does this mean Setanta Ireland are struggling as well? (they do still exist don't they?) What's going to happen to the 3pm Saturday matches? BBC story says this deal covers the matches that would on ESPN in Britain so I assume that doesn't include the 3pm kick offs on Saturdays.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Shortso79

Sky and ESPN have announced Premier League football fixtures :

http://www.premierleague.com/page/UKAndIreland/0,,12306,00.html

Whats the craic with ESPN - will their matches be pay per view ?

Shortso79

GalwayBayBoy

Setanta Ireland Secures Saturday afternoon Barclays Premier League Games for next Season

Setanta Sports announced today that they have been awarded the rights by the Premier League to show up to 33 live 3pm Saturday games in the Republic of Ireland next season. The addition of these Premier League games to Setanta's live sports programming has been warmly welcomed by the broadcaster.

Niall Cogley CEO of Setanta Sports Ireland commented "We are delighted to announce our success in winning back Saturday afternoon Barclays Premier League games for next season. Traditionally this has been the most popular and best performing slot for us of all of our sporting rights.

"We anticipate a high level of quality this season with 9 of our first 13 games featuring Top 4 teams including Manchester United at Wigan on Aug 22nd and Liverpool visiting Bolton on Aug 29th. Our opening game will see Carlos Tevez spearheading the new look Manchester City who kick- off their season at Blackburn."

Cogley went on to add "Although there has been some confusion about Setanta Sports in Ireland following recent developments in the UK we are now delighted to confirm that we will continue to provide our subscribers with the best value premium sports service in Ireland and the most attractive sports option for all television advertisers."

In addition to the Barclays Premier League, sports fans tuning into Setanta can continue to see live Magners League, Champions League, the new Europa League, Formula 1 and golf including The Augusta Masters and Padraig Harrington's historic title defence at this week's Open Championship as well as our domestic staples including the Setanta Sports Cup & Eircom League, the Allianz Leagues, and schools rugby.

fred the red

Sport presenter Stubbs leaves BBC 

BBC sports presenter Ray Stubbs is to leave the corporation to be the frontman of ESPN's live Premier League coverage, it has been announced.

Stubbs, who spent five years on the books at Tranmere Rovers, presented football, snooker, darts and other sports in his 25 years with the BBC.

"This was always going to be a difficult decision," he said.

"But a chance to join one of the world's top broadcasters on day one of a new channel was too good to reject."

Head of BBC TV Sport Philip Bernie said: "Ray has been a fantastic member of the BBC Sport team for many years and we wish him all the best for the future."

ESPN acquired the live rights for 46 Premier League matches next season following the collapse of Irish broadcaster Setanta.

Stubbs's first match fronting their coverage will be Everton v Arsenal at Goodison Park on 15 August.

Tankie

is ESPN a station or where will they be showing sport? its not the ESPN classic station is it?
Grand Slam Saturday!

Shortso79

Think its going to be a brand new channel - launched at the start of August

JohnDenver

http://www.sportspromedia.com/notes_and_insights/_a/manchester_united_liverpool_spurs_arsenal_matches_to_be_on_freeview_in_uk/

I wonder is this available on normal tv's with built in freeview, or do you need one of the specially adapted freeview sets that setanta used to supply?

deiseach

ESPN America no longer on freeview. Just as well, the Red Sox are turning back into crud :-\

Gaffer

I cancelled my Setanta subscription 2 months ago just after they collapsed. However I am still getting Celtic TV, Arsenal TV etc which were part of that package.

I am from the 6 counties. Anyone understand whts going on?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

slievegullion

Yeah, your probably getting LFC tv as well?

These channels are free for the moment because theres no deal set-up for anyone to charge for them so I suppose the choice was either close the channel down, charge a single premium for the channel which noone at this stage was likely to pay or just let it go free until they sort out what they're going to do.