Joyce axed from Galway panel

Started by An Fhairche Abu, June 08, 2009, 12:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 09, 2009, 08:43:16 AM
Is he really that much a loss?? I mean they still have the Meehan and P Joyce after-all.

I guess it depends on what you're using as a measuring stick Farrandeelin. Nicky Joyce could be the difference between Galway winning or losing an All-Ireland. For all the poor mouthing from Galway about midfield and what have you, they know well they're up there as All-Ireland contenders in the pool immediately after Kerry and Tyrone, along with Cork and Derry. Nicky Joyce is a huge loss for them.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: baoithe on June 09, 2009, 08:26:18 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 09, 2009, 07:49:24 AM
Quote from: paddypastit on June 09, 2009, 12:08:31 AM
This may sound daft but for all his talent which is undoubted Sligo might be disappointed as he is a player that, for the reasons mouview refers, they fancy being able to keep quiet and have done in the past.  How does the decision go down with the cousin?

The first 25mins of Connacht final he destroyed J Davey, our lads on the line were blind to it even though it was on the same wing as the dugout. Forde moved into the corner onto Harrison and finished his major involvement, for me that decision won us the Connacht final ;D so thats why i call Tommy Brehony a lucky manager more so than a good one, although i never said he was bad just average.

Whatever about the rest of your post Sligonian, you're spot on in respect of the skinning he was giving Davey that day. I couldn't believe it when Forde moved him into the corner and more so when he wasn't brought back out to the half forward line.

Everyone could see it during the game, I was getting very frustrated at the lack of action on the line is what im getting, im not saying I would taken J Davey off but I would at least switched Mcgovern over or at least did something but im glad we agree, and as for my criticism of TB, he went down in my estimation after that and even more so in the Cork game when it took 55 mins to get sweeney on, i felt he wasnt maximising our potential although the team was prepared well, thats why i have reservations about KW aswell with leaving costello on so long against Antrim despite not having his best day with gaughan waiting in the wings, in ways some managers have handicapped us with there lack of vision during games. Anyway at least Forde made up for him picking the wrong team in 02 which cost us dearly, not rocket science. It just shows you a manager is important and can cost teams in a big way.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

mannix

why would he not shut up and be like his cousin?class players they both are but pj knows the politically correct way of doing things it appears.

Massey-135

How do use fancy your chances this year anyway lads on the back of this news? Are Galway going far?

Jays I used to love going to Salthill for the holidays when I was a pup.

Duine Eile

Quote from: Massey-135 on June 09, 2009, 01:55:44 PM
How do use fancy your chances this year anyway lads on the back of this news? Are Galway going far? 

He is a big loss, no doubt about it, he's always good for 2 or 3 points a game and he's a deadly accurate free taker from the left side. There's added pressure on Mike Meehan and on Padraic Joyce now. Mike can have very quiet days, Padraic is setting up more than he scores these days so this is desperate news really. Awful pity, he was going great guns in a few challenge games, 1-04 in one game, 6 points in another. The likes of Sean Armstrong and Cormac Bane are going to have to step up to the plate now.

Duine Eile

Quote from: hardstation on June 09, 2009, 11:58:29 PM
Quote from: mannix on June 09, 2009, 11:19:07 AM
why would he not shut up and be like his cousin?class players they both are but pj knows the politically correct way of doing things it appears.
What? His cousin is the most cynical man still playing the game!!

???

mannix

i have watched him play and he is not as you say cynical. the man is class, end of story as far as i am concerned unless you wish to give an example.

Tubberman

Quotei have watched him play and he is not as you say cynical. the man is class, end of story as far as i am concerned unless you wish to give an example.

A class player no doubt, but he's not above pulling a few tricks to win frees for himself. He's very good at taking the defenders arm and pulling it across his shoulder to make it look like a foul.
That wouldn't make him the most cynical man still playing the game though nor anywhere near it...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

quiltylads

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 08, 2009, 12:53:36 PM
From Hoganstand.com:
Joyce axed from Galway panel

Galway's preparations for their Connacht SFC semi-final against Sligo later this month have been rocked by confirmation that Nicky Joyce has been dropped from the panel.

The highly-rated forward, who is a first cousin of fellow attacker Padraic, was dropped by manager Liam Sammon over the weekend for an alleged breach of discipline.

It remains to be seen if Joyce will be brought back into the panel later in the summer, but as it stands, he won't be involved for the provincial semi-final against Kevin Walsh's Sligo at Markievicz Park on June 28.

Joyce has threatened to emerge as one of the top forwards in the game over the past few years, but a series of injuries have prevented him from doing so.

---------------------------------

Any Galway lads have the full story regarding this?

Great display from him today. Galway's best forward.