Previous topic - Next topic

haveaharp

Quote from: Gnevin on June 05, 2009, 11:55:01 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 05, 2009, 11:47:50 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on June 05, 2009, 11:33:45 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 05, 2009, 11:30:59 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on June 05, 2009, 11:23:38 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 05, 2009, 11:20:17 PM
No harm no one hurt. Ive no time for oo or there culture. Sure what do the marches do, they should all be banned because all there out to do is raise tension. Its a case of scum attacking scum.
Just like the GAA matches are out to raise tension among the "prods" . Sure its a case of scum attacking GAA scum .

::) ::)

Are you saying the GAA are opposites on the other side to the OO, we play a game, they march celebrating battles past over us. Big Difference in how both sides celebrate our cultures and not comparable. Is it GAA associated people attacking Ohs, i doubt it.

Of course there is a difference but they march we name our clubs after "terrorist" and sing a "foreign anthem" before our games . Tey see if from the other side

We name our clubs after heroes who faught for our freedom from a tryant, how is it a foreign athem at GAA match, we dont guad the prods like they do on ther marches, they dont need to go to GAA matches and hear it if they dont want to, we dont go marching down roads that everyone knows are just to cause trouble. The oo are scum and i despise them, The GAA is completely different in every way and if what TB says is true then i obviously wouldnt want to see retribution in a GAA clubhouse getting targeted and tit for tat so they are idiots too but they mightn be GAA folk just troublemakers.
The point is the OO is a cultural organisation you might not like them but there are others of the orange side you feel the same . Your views are lowest common dominator .

Get the union jack down from the attic

nifan

Im very much not a fan of the OO, but as a few have said individual members can be dead on.

I have to say, (and it pains me to do so!), but pints is correct when he says that although the thugs may not always be in the OO, they have too often failed to even attempt to reign in the buckos in the bands for example, and when it comes to drumcree etc they are unwilling or afraid to try and call for calm heads when the trouble kicks off in many cases.

I do feel for the reasonable OO member - who maybe grew up in an area where it is very much a fraternal organisation and see it as a display of culture or whatever - but the organisation leaves itself open to the opinions held here.

haveaharp

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on June 06, 2009, 08:45:30 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on June 06, 2009, 08:40:33 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 06, 2009, 08:38:19 PM
and i'll state this again
QuoteI dont think anyone cares if the orange order parades as long as they stick to the areas they're wanted.  That's hardly too much to ask.
No it's not much to ask but as we've clarified before the OO is a bigoted and sectarian cultural  organisation who aren't really the caring types , in fact you and me both know the enjoy parading where they are not wanted .

I daresay you have no clue.  Have you ever visited Portadown around the 12th for example?

Try that and make sure they know you are a Dub and see what happens. 

Fellow unionists would enjoy each others company im sure

haveaharp

Quote from: nifan on June 08, 2009, 09:15:04 AM
Im very much not a fan of the OO, but as a few have said individual members can be dead on.

I have to say, (and it pains me to do so!), but pints is correct when he says that although the thugs may not always be in the OO, they have too often failed to even attempt to reign in the buckos in the bands for example, and when it comes to drumcree etc they are unwilling or afraid to try and call for calm heads when the trouble kicks off in many cases.

I do feel for the reasonable OO member - who maybe grew up in an area where it is very much a fraternal organisation and see it as a display of culture or whatever - but the organisation leaves itself open to the opinions held here.

"reasonable OO member" - is there such a thing ?. This is an organisation that is sectarian to its core so how can you say that?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: nifan on June 08, 2009, 09:15:04 AM

Agree, and when you had a situation like the Whiterock standoff and leaders of the OO coming out and basically inciting the crowd to riot (which was some of the worst rioting in years) you wonder are the inmates in charge of the asylum?
Tbc....

nifan

Quote from: haveaharp on June 08, 2009, 09:32:53 AM
"reasonable OO member" - is there such a thing ?. This is an organisation that is sectarian to its core so how can you say that?

from having met OO members.
Have you met many? Have they all been rabid sectarian bigots?

haveaharp

Quote from: nifan on June 08, 2009, 09:43:14 AM

A good few actually, and outwardly no they are not rabid sectarian bigots but surely the whole ethos of their organisation suggests otherwise ?

Lar Naparka

The unionists I know fairly well are all former rugby players that I played against about 25 years ago. We might meet up in my old clubhouse over an international weekend – that sort of thing.
Some are definitely in the OO, but that is one subject, by unspoken agreement on both sides, that never comes up. One or two might give us a few bars of the sash alright around closing time or crack a joke about Davy Tweed's latest antics but the Twalfth and the OO are offside topics.
Still, I would find it hard to imagine any of them inciting anyone to riot.
But I have seen another side too.
My sister nursed in Altanagelvin hospital in Derry a long time ago.
One time she brought a lad she was going steady with to our home in Mayo to meet the parents.
Andy, the latest boyfriend, was a hospital doctor and seemed so shy you'd think he was stupid. A lovely chap alright and there was no bother getting him to drive the younger kids around in his Morris Minor or get us all ice creams or chocolate. I overheard that he was in the OO but no one seemed too fussed about it.
I was fierce disappointed when I heard she had broken the line off.
Seems she getting a lift from another nurse when they were stopped at a checkpoint by some B Specials. It was coming up to an apprentice boy's march. The bold Andy was there in full rig out, gun and all. She was shocked that he never recognised her The pair of them was ordered out to the side of the road and the car was ransacked and then him and his mates hopped into their jeep and drove off.
The following day they met at work and he was dumbstruck when she told him to eff off.
He had no idea why she dropped him!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 08, 2009, 10:57:27 AM

The unionists I know fairly well are all former rugby players that I played against about 25 years ago. We might meet up in my old clubhouse over an international weekend – that sort of thing.
Some are definitely in the OO, but that is one subject, by unspoken agreement on both sides, that never comes up. One or two might give us a few bars of the sash alright around closing time or crack a joke about Davy Tweed's latest antics but the Twalfth and the OO are offside topics.
One time she brought a lad she was going steady with to our home in Mayo to meet the parents.
Andy, the latest boyfriend, was a hospital doctor and seemed so shy you'd think he was stupid. A lovely chap alright and there was no bother getting him to drive the younger kids around in his Morris Minor or get us all ice creams or chocolate. I overheard that he was in the OO but no one seemed too fussed about it.
Seems she getting a lift from another nurse when they were stopped at a checkpoint by some B Specials. It was coming up to an apprentice boy's march. The bold Andy was there in full rig out, gun and all. She was shocked that he never recognised her The pair of them was ordered out to the side of the road and the car was ransacked and then him and his mates hopped into their jeep and drove off.
The following day they met at work and he was dumbstruck when she told him to eff off.

Ive met a few in my time, one lad out here is OO through and through and the best way to describe him is a snake, he be as nice as pie to your face while behind everyones back he be shooting ya excuse the pun, cute and always pretends to be your best friend but underneath it all Ive never trusted people from that side of coin, unless its seriously earned. I'll put it this way they can hide it well but everyone knows what there like and its seems from my life experience most are of the same breed.

I was just thinking of analogy there, Imagine the Nazis won the war and were marching in Israel celebrating the winning battles. Thats the way I see there marches. How is that cultural ffs. Its like we took ye over and destroyed as much of the Irish culture as we could and we are going to celebrate that and we are supposed to take it. It sickens me even more that they march in rossnowlagh in donegal and nothing is done, at the very least the South should off limits to these scum.

Fair play to your Sister Lar, just pray she never takes me home to meet the family :D. A few mayolads didnt take long to cop im Sligonian over here when tp came up in conversation.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

I was watching Euronews of the D Day remebrance last weekend and aload of Briitish Soldiers were singing "its a long way to Tipperary" I vaguely remember some army was it a ran through Ireland from North and thats were the song I think came from...was it robert the bruce...they burned everything in sight...i dont know...anyone send me a pm on it, was just curious and lads on here seem to know Irish history better than me, i know its off topic.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

haveaharp

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 08, 2009, 11:26:32 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 08, 2009, 10:57:27 AM

Ive met a few in my time, one lad out here is OO through and through and the best way to describe him is a snake, he be as nice as pie to your face while behind everyones back he be shooting ya excuse the pun, cute and always pretends to be your best friend but underneath it all Ive never trusted people from that side of coin, unless its seriously earned. I'll put it this way they can hide it well but everyone knows what there like and its seems from my life experience most are of the same breed.

I was just thinking of analogy there, Imagine the Nazis won the war and were marching in Israel celebrating the winning battles. Thats the way I see there marches. How is that cultural ffs. Its like we took ye over and destroyed as much of the Irish culture as we could and we are going to celebrate that and we are supposed to take it. It sickens me even more that they march in rossnowlagh in donegal and nothing is done, at the very least the South should off limits to these scum.

Fair play to your Sister Lar, just pray she never takes me home to meet the family :D. A few mayolads didnt take long to cop im Sligonian over here when tp came up in conversation.

My brother in law is from a rural area that is heavily OO. He used to get a lift to tech everyday when he was about 16 from a part time RUC neighbour (also OO member) and all was sound. Couple of years later when the loyalists were blocking roads (1985 anglo irish etc) he managed to dodge around a blockade. The same neighbour rammed him and his first car into the ditch and called him for all the fenian c*** on earth. Now i defy any OO apologist on this board to say that the OO not only are the most bigotted sectarian bastards on this earth but they should be outlawed. But the Brit govt would never have the balls to do it.

T Fearon

I disagree with senseless attacks on Orange Halls. However sensible well planned attacks are a different matter entirely ;D

Tonto

Quote from: T Fearon on June 08, 2009, 11:48:23 AM
I disagree with senseless attacks on Orange Halls. However sensible well planned attacks are a different matter entirely ;D
Again, showing yourself up for what you are.

Evil Genius

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 08, 2009, 11:39:17 AM
I was watching Euronews of the D Day remebrance last weekend and aload of Briitish Soldiers were singing "its a long way to Tipperary" I vaguely remember some army was it a ran through Ireland from North and thats were the song I think came from...was it robert the bruce...they burned everything in sight...i dont know...anyone send me a pm on it, was just curious and lads on here seem to know Irish history better than me, i know its off topic.
Where do you get your information from?  ::)

It was originally a (comic) music hall song, adopted soon after by some Irish soldiers fighting in Flanders in WW1:

"It's a Long Way to Tipperary" is a British music hall and marching song written by Jack Judge and Harry Williams (Henry James Williams), a song that, allegedly, was written for a 5 shilling bet in Stalybridge, on the 30 January 1912 and performed the next night at the local music hall. Judge's parents were Irish, and his grandparents came from Tipperary.

During the First World War the Irish regiment the Connaught Rangers were witnessed singing this song as they marched through Boulogne on 13 August 1914 by the Daily Mail correspondent George Curnock, who reported the event in that newspaper on 18 August 1914. The song was then picked up by other units of the British Army. In November 1914 it was recorded by the well-known tenor John McCormack, which helped contribute to its world-wide popularity"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_a_Long_Way_to_Tipperary

P.S. There are no references to Robert The Bruce burning poor Mother Oireland in the lyrics, either:

Up to mighty London
    Came an Irishman one day
    As the streets are paved with gold
    Sure, everyone was gay
    Singing songs of Piccadilly,
    Strand and Leicester Square
    Till Paddy got excited
    And he shouted to them there...

It's a long way to Tipperary,
    It's a long way to go.
    It's a long way to Tipperary
    To the sweetest girl I know!
    Goodbye Piccadilly,
    Farewell Leicester Square!
    It's a long long way to Tipperary,
    But my heart's right there.

Paddy wrote a letter
    To his Irish Molly-O,
    Saying, "Should you not receive it
    Write and let me know!"
    "If I make mistakes in spelling,
    Molly dear," said he,
    "Remember, it's the pen that's bad,
    Don't lay the blame on me!

It's a long way to Tipperary...

Molly wrote a neat reply
    To Irish Paddy-O
    Saying Mike Maloney
    Wants to marry me and so
    Leave the Strand and Picadilly
    Or you'll be to blame
    For love has fairly drove me silly:
    Hoping you're the same!

It's a long way to Tipperary...

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Tonto on June 08, 2009, 12:49:17 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on June 08, 2009, 11:48:23 AM
Again, showing yourself up for what you are.
I wonder which "sensible" group arranged this attack on an Orange Hall? Or could they not at least have organised a ladder?

Shinner falls off Orange hall roof
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/Shinne ... 3163541.jp
By philip bradfield

Sinn Fein was last night at a loss to explain how a party member ended up in hospital after falling from the roof of a Newcastle Orange hall in the middle of the night.

The PSNI confirmed last night that they had responded to reports of "suspicious activity" at the hall on Shimna Road shortly before 2.45am on Saturday.
"It is believed that a male had fallen from the building," said a police spokeswoman. "A 17-year-old youth was taken to hospital by ambulance."

The Orange Order said a Union Flag was torn down from the roof and it is understood police will interview the injured party at a later stage.

Sinn Fein confirmed the injured person was a member of its youth wing. "He is a member of Ogra Sinn Fein, but to my knowledge he has not been charged with anything," said a spokesman.
"It is alleged that youths did take down a flag but I am not sure whether it is true or not. It is not the type of thing we would be condoning, we oppose attacks on Orange halls.
"He broke his wrist and hurt his back. We don't know if he was directly involved in taking the flag or not."

South Down DUP MLA Jim Wells asked: "What is a Sinn Fein member doing on top of an Orange hall at 2.45am in the morning? This will raise suspicions the party's condemnation of attacks on such halls are hollow. I believe attacks on halls are carried out by people who are strong Sinn Fein supporters."

Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland secretary Drew Nelson said the persistent pattern of attacks pointed to an orchestrated campaign.
"If Sinn Fein are really serious in their condemnation then why aren't they calling on their community to bring information to the police?" he asked.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"