Official QPR thread

Started by irunthev, June 04, 2009, 10:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irunthev

Okay, I know that this one is a bit left of centre for most of you, but as a life long QPR fan, first game was at Loftus Road against Leeds in 1978 (Stan Bowles, Phil Parkes, Gerry Francis et al, with Leeds including future R's legend Tony Currie) I think a thread to the Superhoops should be started, especially given that one of our own, Jim Magilton, has just jumped in through the revolving door that leads to the manager's office. Much was expected of the boys from the Bush after the big buy out a few years ago but as of yet they haven't delivered, although the constant sacking of managers and the questionable appointment of others hasn't helped matters. Let's see how Jim gets on. The Championship is going to be very interesting next season, there are a lot of big names in terms of clubs and managers down there.

Norf Tyrone

Chelsea's REAL nemisis.

I was at Loftus Rd a few years back, and watched QPR v York (League cup after York had beat United at OT). Nice wee ground. The best thing about the night was that I backed Barnes (I think) of York to score first, but QPR to win 3-1 just for an interest bet, and it came up!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

irunthev

Magilton's biggest challenge at the club will be making sure he stays on-side with the owners. They appear to have  a habit of being quite brutal with any descent from the manager, as the last boss found out when he questioned the loan transfer of the top scorer to Notts Forest, apparently without his knowledge or approval. It is unclear how much influence Briatore has in transfers, some would say that he decides who he wants while Briatore himself insists that he leaves transfers and team selection to the manager. Having said that though, he does however say that given that he is the one who is paying the wages and the bills, then he is entitled to an opinion.... and he would be quite right there. The trouble being of course is that traditionally that isn't how football clubs have operated in England. Briatore is a winner and he has helped to create four F1 championship winning teams so he knows about winning, the question is whether his F1 philosophies and practices transfer across to football. His intention is to create a boutique football club and Loftus Road and by all accounts they have made great strides in the up-market hospitality, although ticket prices did go up considerably,. Key to the plan is Premier League football, the trouble is the Championship just gets more and more competitive and with big name clubs like Newcastle down there trying to get out, solid promotion chasers like Sheffield Utd, Cardiff, WBA, Reading and Crystal Palace also there and then interesting individual club stories like Clough at Derby and Keane at Ipswich, the chances of QPR getting promoted, on the evidence of the last few seasons, are limited. And of course there will always be the chance of a Hull or Burnley emerging again next season.

irunthev

Less than a week to go to the new season and things haven't exactly been hotting up down at the Bush. Very modest transfer dealings so far which include bringing in a 30-something goalkeeper in Andy Marshall, a second division Italian striker Alessandro Pellicori and a Spurs loanee Abel Taarabt. Add to that the loss of last season's top scorer Dexter Blackstock to Forest and several other first teamers including Damien Delaney to Ipswich and most Hoops fans will be scratching their heads and wondering have Flavio and Bernie lost interest in their pet project? The pre-season has been littered with decent games against mostly modest opposition as well as an unfruitful trip to Slovakia. Hope Magilton does well, but it's going to be a struggle for him I think to get promotion.

Eastern_Pride

What happened to ''richest club in the world''?
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

DennistheMenace

Taarabt will beat the same player 3 times and go on a mazy run but won't pass.

Should be decent at that level though.

irunthev

Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 04, 2009, 03:52:52 PM

I think that honour was hijacked by the boys in light blue up in manxland. The club would need to be in the Premiership before the real money will be seen at Rangers. The problem is getting into the Premiership.

anportmorforjfc

Quote from: irunthev on August 04, 2009, 04:28:01 PM

I think that honour was hijacked by the boys in light blue up in manxland. The club would need to be in the Premiership before the real money will be seen at Rangers. The problem is getting into the Premiership.
[/b]

This year will be their year irunthev, believe.

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on August 04, 2009, 04:50:20 PM

[/b]

Isn't every year this decade?
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

irunthev

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on August 04, 2009, 04:50:20 PM

[/b]

I believe... I believe

irunthev

the Deel Rover

Quote from: irunthev on May 07, 2011, 04:55:15 PM
At last

Fair play irunthev glad to see your boys win the championship. Qpr play a nice brand of football . I'm hoping that there will be more posts on this thread than the past 19 months  ;) :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

laoislad

Don't like Warnock but great to see clubs like QPR back in the Premier League.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

irunthev

I think Warnock will be gone by next season. I think he was brought in to get them promoted and then say goodbye. Rumour was it was part of the deal, and that there would be a massive bonus in it for him if he got them up.
Papers seem to think that West Ham fancy him if they go down, which would be a good shout from them if it iis so. The board aren't that keen on Warnock at QPR but recognised that he was te best man for the job... A proper old style manager rather than a new breed coach that he likes of Magilton were.
I feel though that the Board will  start to meddle more now that they are in the big tme, Warnock even said this week that he could see an Italian in is job next season. Wait and see. Strangley Briatore kept a very low profile tis season after stepping down as Chairman, but more and more recently his name has been popping up. Ecclestone even said that if he was to decide to sell his shares, then Briatore would have first refusal. That's ominous. If so, expect a few more appearances before the FA if Fabio has any involvement!

Geoff Tipps

Can't stand Colin but fair play to him for getting them promoted.