Belfast to Athlone?

Started by balladmaker, June 04, 2009, 12:23:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

Which is the best way to head from Belfast to Athlone?  I know the shortest route is via Monaghan > Cavan > Granard > Athlone, but have those roads been improved any in the last few years?

Would it make any sense heading the motorway to Dublin, and then Dublin to Athlone.  It's about 50 miles longer, a fair bit,but could it be just as quick as the cross country route?

Thanks in advance.

Eoghan Mag

Sure you're welcome to Athlone, 'tis lookinn' fine in this sunny weather! I don't drive so I can't give you any directions. I should go back the way you're coming but I feel the same way about Belfast as the last poster does about Athlone. Belfast does me head in.

The Real Laoislad

Dublin to Athlone takes a little over a hour now with the new motorway
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Treasurer

Googlemaps measures at 40 miles longer (177 miles) but 9 mins quicker via Dublin, if that's any help.

armaghniac

Dublin will involve 3 tolls, €7 or so and another €5 of petrol too.
It depends on whether you prefer a bit of variety driving or just sitting on a motorway, with the odd jam at the M50 and Newry.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

gerrykeegan

Laoislad
Dublin Athlone in just over an hour!  Its 123km. i assume the foot is to the floor
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: gerrykeegan on June 04, 2009, 12:28:59 PM
Laoislad
Dublin Athlone in just over an hour!  Its 123km. i assume the foot is to the floor

Sure you would only need to be doing 120km/hr or 75mph in old money!Thats hardly foot to the floor speed
Its a motorway all the way!
btw I meant from Lucan I wasn't adding in going through the city or down the m50
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Trevor Hill

If I was going to Athlone from Belfast I would go Belfast to the M1 just south of Dundalk and take the Ardee exit, then Ardee, Kells, Mullingar and on to Athlone. Some of the Road from Kells onwards has been upgraded, though not enough.

Treasurer

Quote from: Treasurer on June 04, 2009, 11:22:29 AM
Googlemaps measures at 40 miles longer (177 miles) but 9 mins quicker via Dublin, if that's any help.

Just realised taht googlemaps hasn't allowed for the new stretch of motorway, so the difference would be considerably  more than 9 mins

blast05

Quote from: Trevor Hill on June 04, 2009, 02:05:32 PM
If I was going to Athlone from Belfast I would go Belfast to the M1 just south of Dundalk and take the Ardee exit, then Ardee, Kells, Mullingar and on to Athlone. Some of the Road from Kells onwards has been upgraded, though not enough.

No way for me.
2 hours of driving on those shite roads that are not even close to National Primary Road standard versus 2 easy hours on motorway - a no brainer for me. You think you might be saving €10 or whatever by going on the back roads but the wear and tear on your car on those roads compared to the National Prim Roads - no comparison.
For what its worth i have taken both options in the past

Trevor Hill

The road from Ardee to Mullingar isnt that bad, there have been a lot of improvements lately. I use it quite often, though maybe I have got to know it quite well. If the OP is in any doubt he should go via Dublin, but the M50 can be hit and miss at times and he will have a few tolls to pay as well.

illdecide

Quote from: blast05 on June 04, 2009, 03:50:17 PM
Quote from: Trevor Hill on June 04, 2009, 02:05:32 PM

No way for me.
2 hours of driving on those shite roads that are not even close to National Primary Road standard versus 2 easy hours on motorway - a no brainer for me. You think you might be saving €10 or whatever by going on the back roads but the wear and tear on your car on those roads compared to the National Prim Roads - no comparison.
For what its worth i have taken both options in the past

Thats the way i'd go too...FFS driving on the motorways would put you to sleep, you'll be like a Zombie when you get there.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

AN other

Takes me 2 and a half hours to get from the south of the county to Belfast. It doesn't matter which road as long as I don't get caught in Newry or on the M50 it always takes nearly bang on 2 and a half hours...
Considering the three tolls involved I'll usually take the "back roads" in fine weather as long as it's light out. If it's dark, raining or both I wouldn't go near them roads through Kells/Ardee. Might be a bit quicker as far as Athlone because of the motorway. Let the weather decide!