Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

Anyone got any experience of the basque country ? I've seen plenty on TV (usually watching cycling) and looks amazing. Thinking about combining holiday with the end of the Vuelta the angliru stage. Any must see locations in the area anywhere from Santander across to Galicia that any of you may have visited ?

Avondhu star

Quote from: armaghniac on January 16, 2017, 04:48:29 PM

Whats wrong with Bray?
As a French student told me one time "It is known as the Irish Riviera"
Dawsons Amusements Chips and Cones What could go wrong?
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 17, 2017, 09:00:19 AM
Thanks a million everyone. Much appreciated. Hound, definitely would love to do a cruise, but I'm hoping to save up and do a bit of a spin around the Caribbean. I think this year it's more the standard sun for 10 days. Hotel, Pool, Beach, with activities for young lad and lady. Thanks again lads, I'll definitely take a look at all of those.
Yeah, Caribbean cruise was the first one I did and we'd a great time.
But if I'd a choice between doing another Caribbean cruise and another Med cruise, I'd definitely choose the latter. Just the destinantions are so much more interesting for me.

The Alaska cruise I did though was the absolute king (and most expensive of course!)

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Hound on January 17, 2017, 04:26:05 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 17, 2017, 09:00:19 AM
Thanks a million everyone. Much appreciated. Hound, definitely would love to do a cruise, but I'm hoping to save up and do a bit of a spin around the Caribbean. I think this year it's more the standard sun for 10 days. Hotel, Pool, Beach, with activities for young lad and lady. Thanks again lads, I'll definitely take a look at all of those.
Yeah, Caribbean cruise was the first one I did and we'd a great time.
But if I'd a choice between doing another Caribbean cruise and another Med cruise, I'd definitely choose the latter. Just the destinantions are so much more interesting for me.

The Alaska cruise I did though was the absolute king (and most expensive of course!)

What companies have you cruised with Hound? Note to others - need to pick the right cruises, as certain companies target different audiences (age groups etc), though there are also mixed bag cruises
Hasta la victoria siempre

BenDover

Heading to Breaffy House for 4 days over the 12th July week, but we'd like to go somewhere else for 3-4 days further down the country open to all suggestions. 3 youngsters 8, 4, and 1 to cater for. Any recommendations?

ballinaman

Quote from: BenDover on January 18, 2017, 02:02:31 PM
Heading to Breaffy House for 4 days over the 12th July week, but we'd like to go somewhere else for 3-4 days further down the country open to all suggestions. 3 youngsters 8, 4, and 1 to cater for. Any recommendations?
Westport house, few small attractions for kids.
Clare Island day trip
Newport to Mulranney greenway
Achill Island

BenDover

Quote from: ballinaman on January 18, 2017, 02:21:57 PM
Clare Island day trip
Achill Island

Thank for the tips on things to do Ballinaman, what i was really after is location + accommodation recommendations further south e.g. Cork, Waterford, Wexford that would be family friendly.

AZOffaly

Tramore? Kids love Tramore. Everyone loves Tramore.

Also, if you like west Cork, there's a 'Quality Hotel' in Clonakilty. It's not luxurious, but it is very family friendly and they do chalets on the grounds too. There's also a cinema on the grounds.

http://www.qualityclonakiltyhotel.com/

NAG1

Anyone any advice on car hire on the continent?
where or who is best value and anything to watch out for?

AZOffaly

I always used argus car hire. They seemed to have the best prices, and never had any issues with them. Used them in France and in Portugal.https://www.arguscarhire.com/#/searchcars

Franko

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 19, 2017, 01:22:30 PM

Also, if you like west Cork, there's a 'Quality Hotel' in Clonakilty. It's not luxurious, but it is very family friendly and they do chalets on the grounds too. There's also a cinema on the grounds.

Know nothing about this hotel but jaysus could they not have come up with something better for the name?

NAG1

Cheers AZ looks good

AZOffaly

Quote from: Franko on January 19, 2017, 01:44:33 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 19, 2017, 01:22:30 PM

Know nothing about this hotel but jaysus could they not have come up with something better for the name?

The Quality Hotel? I think it's a chain. The Quality Hotel Clonakilty, the Quality Hotel Youghal etc etc.

Avondhu star

Quote from: BenDover on January 19, 2017, 01:12:58 PM
Clare Island day trip
Achill Island

Thank for the tips on things to do Ballinaman, what i was really after is location + accommodation recommendations further south e.g. Cork, Waterford, Wexford that would be family friendly.

East Cork. Good beaches at Youghal Red Barn Ballycotton area. Fota Island is close by. Trabolgan for a day trip. It might be good for accommodation but not sure on prices. It is a short run to Cork city as well
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

AZOffaly

Quote from: Avondhu star on January 19, 2017, 02:03:35 PM
Quote from: BenDover on January 19, 2017, 01:12:58 PM
Clare Island day trip
Achill Island

East Cork. Good beaches at Youghal Red Barn Ballycotton area. Fota Island is close by. Trabolgan for a day trip. It might be good for accommodation but not sure on prices. It is a short run to Cork city as well

That's a good call too actually. And from East Cork, Tramore wouldn't be a million miles away either. Fota Island is nice for kids, and Trabolgan as well. Mind you it's been years since I was in Trabolgan so I'm not sure what state it is in now.

You could stay in Midleton as well as a base for around there, or Cobh.