Author Topic: Holidays  (Read 246993 times)

Rois

• View Profile
Re: Holidays
« Reply #1995 on: August 09, 2019, 08:36:57 PM »
We’re planning on hitting Big Bear! Prob is we’re not going til Oct, totally off season. Main part of our holiday will be up in Salt Lake City and Jackson Hole (maybe Yellowstone), then Cali for the sunshine.

Here’s a question - Huntington Beach or Laguna Beach?

ziggy90

• Waiting for manna coming from the west.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: August 09, 2019, 08:39:36 PM »
25 beers and 6 shots of 52% Slivovitz comes to €32 in Porac, Slovakia. Just saying like.

Presumably after downing 25 beers & 6 shots, you would have difficulty saying anything.

You would be 100% right in that presumption. However, seen as it was shared between five of us I got by with a bit of slurring.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

omaghjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: August 09, 2019, 09:59:22 PM »
We’re planning on hitting Big Bear! Prob is we’re not going til Oct, totally off season. Main part of our holiday will be up in Salt Lake City and Jackson Hole (maybe Yellowstone), then Cali for the sunshine.

Laguna all the way (for me)... but it depends

Laguna is a picturesque resort town, with cliffs and small beach, traditionally a genuine getaway from the city that was a community of artist and bohemians. As the city sprawl encroached this has changed somewhat but it is surrounded by mountains which limits it growth and makes it a little more difficult to get too and the residents fiercely push back against changes to the town character. Beach bars galleries restaurants cliff walks, lots of independently owned shops and restaurants plus they always have some sort of arty thing. Also if your interested in early California history Id recommend the Mission at San Juan Capistrano a few miles away

Huntington or (Hunington as the locals call it) is more suburbia turned resort. Its big and brash, it has high rise hotels, miles and mile of beach but its flat and wide and not picturesque. Its more of a beach scene altogether you could say... there's a board walk, there is thousands of people down the beach everyday, its got surfers and waves galore. The restaurants are mostly generic. All in all its more convenient style beach all around. It is more of the typical LA beach scene that you might be looking for tho and it is home to the https://www.facebook.com/socalwildgeeseif you fancy a match.

Most Socal residents would say Laguna for a stay as it feels like a bit of getaway, but if your only going to the beach to  (which I don't like much anyway) prob Huntington.

Also big bear is pretty nice whatever time of year, summers a relief from the heat, winter gets the snow.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 10:04:02 PM by omaghjoe »

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: August 09, 2019, 10:48:10 PM »

As above, Huntingdon Beach is a big spacious beach, Baywatch territory or maybe something like Spain. Laguna Beach is smaller and more trendy, art galleries, diverse restaurants and antique shops. San Juan Capistrano is worth a visit and nearby and San Diego not too far for an expedition.

Big Bear definitely worth a visit. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Brick Tamlin

• View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: August 12, 2019, 04:24:48 PM »
Killarney folks.

Wheres best for the pints and a feed and a night on town?
Id heard its a mecca for yanks and that but is there anywhere to avoid or stay away from.

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: August 15, 2019, 01:27:07 PM »
Killarney folks.

Wheres best for the pints and a feed and a night on town?
Id heard its a mecca for yanks and that but is there anywhere to avoid or stay away from.

Heading there soon too. Never been, so just playing it by ear.

Some say the prices are scandalous, but we’ll see I suppose.

Speaking of scandalous, it’s €100-€125 to land on the Skelligs. f**king Star Wars!

Walter Cronc

• UTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: August 16, 2019, 08:00:02 AM »
Folks, I'm due to fly with Ryanair next Friday night from Dublin. Apparently there's a 48 hour strike by Ryanair pilots from Thursday - Saturday. Any advice on what to do?  Should I go ahead and book a new single outbound flight now or wait?

If it's a strike am I eligible for a refund for my new or original booking?

lurganblue

• View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: August 16, 2019, 09:57:52 AM »
Folks, I'm due to fly with Ryanair next Friday night from Dublin. Apparently there's a 48 hour strike by Ryanair pilots from Thursday - Saturday. Any advice on what to do?  Should I go ahead and book a new single outbound flight now or wait?

Flybe cancelled our flight over for the Grand National last year due to staff shortages (not a strike though).  We got a refund and compensation a few weeks later.  The money back basically paid for our flights and hotel stay.  European flight cancellation regulations would be worth a we search on google to double check. 

BenDover

• View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: August 16, 2019, 01:35:53 PM »

There was a rep from RyanAir on TodayFM yesterday, impact on flights out of Ireland will be minimal he said. They're working to reshuffle some of their other flights to ensure holidaymakers (to/from sun destinations) were not impacted. Using their app is the best way to stay informed apparently.

Walter Cronc

• UTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: August 16, 2019, 04:46:07 PM »
Cheers guys. My flight is just to London but work related hence don't want any hassle.

Don Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: August 17, 2019, 09:24:52 AM »
Do you think car rental companies would share customer information with each other, or even care?

For example, if you were black listed with EuropCar do you think you could get a car from Hertz or Avis etc?

Eh, asking for a friend...

tintin25

• View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: August 21, 2019, 02:00:46 PM »
Folks, any suggestions for a solo traveller holiday in September, or even a few days away?

Booked two weeks off and rather than head away with a couple of friends which inevitable will lead to a 5/7 day boozing session, I'd rather take myself off and explore somewhere different and meet new people.

P.S I'm mid thirties, so not fussed with hostels anymore

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: August 21, 2019, 02:05:57 PM »
Folks, any suggestions for a solo traveller holiday in September, or even a few days away?

Booked two weeks off and rather than head away with a couple of friends which inevitable will lead to a 5/7 day boozing session, I'd rather take myself off and explore somewhere different and meet new people.

f**k! I'd love to do that! Oh and to be in my mid 30's
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Rois

• View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: August 21, 2019, 02:11:17 PM »

My OH used to go on group trips with G-Adventures - did Kilimanjaro, Patagonia, Costa Rica, lots of different ones.
Then he met me and I made him go to France and the US every year. 

But he really enjoyed those trips as a solo traveller - the better ones were because the groups were better craic, but you can't control that. 

TabClear

• View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: August 21, 2019, 03:33:10 PM »
Do you think car rental companies would share customer information with each other, or even care?

For example, if you were black listed with EuropCar do you think you could get a car from Hertz or Avis etc?

Eh, asking for a friend...

I'm more curious to know how you (or your friend  ;)) could be blacklisted?  I always thought that unless you actually posted the car back to them in bits I dont think they care. Those guys have things well covered so they can  extract every possible penny from you thats its not an issue.

The only thing to be aware of is that some of them operate under different brands for example I think Firefly are Hertz's budget brand