Missing Plane!!

Started by EC Unique, June 01, 2009, 11:36:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrones own

Quote from: down6061689194 on June 06, 2009, 07:05:50 PM
Quote from: orangeman on June 04, 2009, 11:27:25 PM

Apparently these planes are tested thouroughly in the worst of weather conditions. I've heard that the wings go right up during testing  till you think they're going to break off.

It's unreal how they are tested.
Somehow it is human error more than likely. Be it an engineer on the ground not checking or a pilot error.

Barring a bomb there isnt much else that would take a plane down without the intervention of someone neglegence. I supose that means they don't go down unless someone interfeers.

That's a bit harsh if not naive.... so in your eyes there's no chance for instance lightning taking out a couple of the computers then while the engineer
attempts a reboot the pilot is getting faulty Speed readings causing him to make adjustments as per information he's receiving from a faulty or iced
up speed sensor, ultimately leading to a structural failure while all the time not really feeling the need for a mayday call as he possibly thought
everything was under control trusting in his instruments ??? Don't know what else could explain no emergency call to ATC
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

muppet

TO no engineer on an A330 crew. But I think what you suggest is on the right track. No commercial aircraft is certified to fly for long in severe icing conditions. Minus 40 celcius is very cold for air to hold any moisture but in a thunderstorm a powerful updraft can bring up warmer air containing supercooled water still in liquid state. This would freeze instantly on touching any unheated exterior part of an aircraft. On it's own this still wouldn't be a huge deal but if they were in severe turbulance also then who knows?
MWWSI 2017

Tyrones own

Quote from: muppet on June 07, 2009, 12:43:52 AM
TO no engineer on an A330 crew. But I think what you suggest is on the right track. No commercial aircraft is certified to fly for long in severe icing conditions. Minus 40 celcius is very cold for air to hold any moisture but in a thunderstorm a powerful updraft can bring up warmer air containing supercooled water still in liquid state. This would freeze instantly on touching any unheated exterior part of an aircraft. On it's own this still wouldn't be a huge deal but if they were in severe turbulance also then who knows?

Early reports I read mentioned a flight engineer being in the cockpit but I checked again there when I read this and I see
it's been changed now to a captain and two co-pilots.... :-\
I do still think ice will come to have played a part in this though.
  - Walter Lippmann

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Tyrones own on June 07, 2009, 01:01:14 AM

Early reports I read mentioned a flight engineer being in the cockpit but I checked again there when I read this and I see
Air France are pushing ahead with the immediate retrofit of the pitot tubes so maybe they think also that ice caused a discrepancy in the air speed readings. Nothing will be conclusive though until they get the recorders.

muppet

Quote from: Tyrones own on June 07, 2009, 01:01:14 AM

Three man crew for a trip that length. Each man gets a break in the cruise hence 1 Captain 2 co-pilots. At least one of the co-pilots would be qualified as a cruise Captain.
MWWSI 2017

Tyrones own

OK but the  :-\ was regarding a change to the initial report I had read mentioning a flight engineer being on board
  - Walter Lippmann

muppet

Quote from: Tyrones own on June 07, 2009, 04:58:22 PM
OK but the  :-\ was regarding a change to the initial report I had read mentioning a flight engineer being on board

Lazy journalism I'd say.
MWWSI 2017

Tyrones own

I see they've hauled another 3 bodies from the water and think they've spotted more :(
  - Walter Lippmann

DennistheMenace

At least if nothing else it will bring some closure for those families involved.

mountainboii

Would these bodies not usually sink? They must have had life jackets or some type of flotation devices on.

Tyrones own

No they'll float for quite a while with the build up of gas as the body breaks down.
  - Walter Lippmann

DennistheMenace

I'm sure most corpses will float for a period of time before sinking, the bodies are completely relaxed and the gases giving off by decompisition help it stay afloat.

mountainboii

Fair enough, my knowledge of it wouldn't go much further than Leo Di Caprio and Titanic  :-[

orangeman

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on June 08, 2009, 12:59:18 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americas/06/07/brazil.plane.crash/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

From that report :

Investigators also reported the airline failed to replace a part on the aircraft, as recommended by the manufacturer, Airbus.Airbus had advised airlines to update equipment that monitors speed, known as Pitot tubes. The recommendation was a result of technological developments and improvements, an Airbus spokesman told CNN. The change was not mandatory, and the spokesman would not comment on Air France's failure to follow the advice.