The Qualifiers 2009

Started by never kickt a ball, May 31, 2009, 08:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boozehell

The match will be lucky to start at 5.00 thanks to the Dubs usual attitude we are dublin we can turn up when we feel like it
Down GAA to the last.

bennydorano

Are you fellas sure about the qualifiers?  I was under the impression that all losers up to an including the semi finalists would go into one pot of 16 and play off until down to the 4 required to meet the provincial losing finalists???

armaghniac

The qualifers are back to the old system as the Tommy Murphy crowd are back in. So the Leinster and Ulster counties suffer because there are more games before the provincial semi final stage and these go into the first round of the qualifiers.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Boozehell

If truth be told the qualifiers are nothing more than a glorified money makining scheme for the Grab All Association.  The provincial championships have become meaningless as you think to yourself as a player Awk sure don't worry if we lose today we still got the backdoor.
Down GAA to the last.

RMDrive

Quote from: Boozehell on June 05, 2009, 01:47:03 PM
If truth be told the qualifiers are nothing more than a glorified money makining scheme for the Grab All Association.  The provincial championships have become meaningless as you think to yourself as a player Awk sure don't worry if we lose today we still got the backdoor.

Maybe that's true for the likes of Tyrone but I'd be pretty certain that a Monaghan or Donegal player would see the Anglo-Celt as far from meaningless. I suppose it's all about your perspective.

Maguire01

Quote from: RMDrive on June 05, 2009, 02:55:55 PM
Quote from: Boozehell on June 05, 2009, 01:47:03 PM

Maybe that's true for the likes of Tyrone but I'd be pretty certain that a Monaghan or Donegal player would see the Anglo-Celt as far from meaningless. I suppose it's all about your perspective.
Or a Derry, Fermanagh, Antrim, Cavan or Down player at that.
And Tyrone or Armagh will come to appreciate the Ulster title again in future. A couple of years back in the mix would put a different perspective on things.

armaghniac

QuoteIf truth be told the qualifiers are nothing more than a glorified money makining scheme for the Grab All Association. 

Typical Bollix. The counties wanted more than one game and I for one am happy to have other games to pay into.

QuoteOr a Derry, Fermanagh, Antrim, Cavan or Down player at that.

I think a Fermanagh player would be in second heaven while an Antrim player would probably actually be in heaven if this happened.

bennydorano

Qualifier

27.06.2009 (Sat)
Preliminary Round
(may be on an arranged basis to reduce the number of teams of 16)

04.07.2009 (Sat)
Round One – (Open Draw)
This Round shall include all the Counties that do not qualify for Provincial Semi-Finals.

Where a Team is drawn away for the second year running in the first round All Ireland Football Qualifier, that team receives home advantage. In the event of both teams, having been drawn away the previous year, toss for home advantage.
(Draw to take place on the 21st of June 2009)

11.07.2009 (Sat)
Round Two – (Draw)
Each of the eight teams defeated in the Provincial Semi-Finals shall play against one of the eight winners from Round 1.

18.07.2009 (Sat)
Round Three (Draw)
This Round shall involve the eight winners of Round 2.

25/25.07.2009 (Sat/Sun)
Round Four (Draw)
Each of the four teams defeated in the Provincial Finals shall play against one of the four Winners of Round 3.

1/2/3.08.2009 (Sat/Sun/Mon)
All Ireland Quarter-Finals (Draw)

Each of the four Provincial Champions shall play one of the four Winners from Round
Round 4. Subject to the respect Provincial Champions not meeting the defeated Finalists from their own Province in this Round.

23.08.2009 (Sun)
All Ireland Semi Final

*Mumha v *Uladh

30.08.2009 (Sun)
All Ireland Semi Final

*Laighin v *Connacht

* The Provincial Champions or a team that defeats them

20.09.09 (Sun) - (04.10.09 Replay)

All Ireland Final

Semi-Final Winner v Semi-Final Winner

Gnevin

Quote from: armaghniac on June 05, 2009, 04:45:09 PM
QuoteIf truth be told the qualifiers are nothing more than a glorified money makining scheme for the Grab All Association. 

Typical Bollix. The counties wanted more than one game and I for one am happy to have other games to pay into.

QuoteOr a Derry, Fermanagh, Antrim, Cavan or Down player at that.

I think a Fermanagh player would be in second heaven while an Antrim player would probably actually be in heaven if this happened.
Don't feed the trolls lad.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

omagh_gael

still highly unfair that a team like fermanagh could, potentially, play two games and still enter round 1 whereas Kerry lose 1 game and enter round 2

Sandy Hill

Quote27.06.2009 (Sat)
Preliminary Round
(may be on an arranged basis to reduce the number of teams of 16)

04.07.2009 (Sat)
Round One – (Open Draw)
This Round shall include all the Counties that do not qualify for Provincial Semi-Finals.

Maybe it's because it's Friday, but I can't get my head around this - can anyone explain? I mean, will Armagh have to play in the Preliminary Round?
"Stercus accidit"

armaghniac

Number of counties
Connacht 5
Ulster 9
Leinster 12
Munster 6

4 play in provincial semis, so 1 from Connacht (Leitrim), 5 from Ulster (Down, Monaghan, Donegal/Antrim, Armagh, Cavan/Fermanagh), 6 from Leinster and 2 from Munster (Tipp, Waterford) play in first round.

Preliminary qualifiers needed if New York etc fluke a victory.   

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: armaghniac on June 05, 2009, 05:22:02 PM
Number of counties
Connacht 5
Ulster 9
Leinster 12
Munster 6

4 play in provincial semis, so 1 from Connacht (Leitrim), 5 from Ulster (Down, Monaghan, Donegal/Antrim, Armagh, Cavan/Fermanagh), 6 from Leinster and 2 from Munster (Tipp, Waterford) play in first round.

Since New York lost, there won't be a preliminary round.

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 05, 2009, 05:16:27 PM
still highly unfair that a team like fermanagh could, potentially, play two games and still enter round 1 whereas Kerry lose 1 game and enter round 2

To rectify the "high unfairness" you refer to, we would need to scrap the provincial championship as part of the All Ireland championships. Personally I think that's something that should be looked at it but most people seem to disagree.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Rossfan

Quote from: armaghniac on June 05, 2009, 05:22:02 PM
Number of counties
Connacht 5
Ulster 9
Leinster 12
Munster 6

Some of your figures are a bit off there amaniac.

As Kilkenny dont enter Senior there are 7 from Leinster while London are also in it (from Connacht).

Personally I would like to see Sam restricted to 20 Counties with the other 12/13 playing a Div 2(or whatever) with the winners automatically included in the top 20 the following year.
With 8 teams in the Provincial Finals that would leave 12 in the first Round Qualifiers . The 6 Winners would be joined in Round 2 by the finalists in Div 2(or whatever)  and than as at present.
Only question is who or how would decide the top 20?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM