Ulster Semifinal- Derry v Tyrone 21/6/09 Casement Park

Started by Oakleafer93, May 31, 2009, 03:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archie Mitchell

Just after seeing Davy Harte's "booking" there. He didn't even tackle the Derry man, it was PJ, and Kinneavy booked him for it  :o

ONeill

Derry were dung. Diver was holding the fort on his own. Underestimated Fergal Doherty's importance to Derry.

Hub had as good a game as he's played in 5 years. Penrose won most ball that went his way. Bringing on Dooher, McGuigan and O'Neill lifted a free-wheeling Tyrone. That was the difference. The subs strengthened Tyrone. Stephen O'Neill was well subdued/underused.

It looks like this - Tyrone are that far ahead in Ulster that it's frightening. I hate saying that but in defeating Armagh and Derry, whilst strolling for the majority of it, this side has its sights set on bigger things from the outset. I thought Tyrone played in second gear. It almost resembled a Goal game after the All-Ireland.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Another thing was the atmosphere. Twas almost non-existent for such a large crowd. You could hear the players issuing instructions. Quite surreal. Definitely a negative legacy of the back-door. 
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

INDIANA

crowds draw their enthusiasm from the fare on display- which was largely poor. So i wouldn't blame the crowd for todays inepitude.

ziggysego

A very clinical game by Tyrone this afternoon. Had a game plan and stuck to it. Didn't need to come out of second gear and there's plenty of juice left in the tank, if we make it to the final stages of the All-Ireland series.

I thought that Hub had a fantastic game today. Got every ball going, set up a lot of nice points and even managed to get a couple of himself  :o Was definitely my MoTM. With S. Cavanagh prehaps not at his best, it was great to see Penrose rise to the occasion and cement his starting position. Dooher and Shaun O'Neill were two excellent additions to the game, coming off the bench. As usual, a wonder goal from Dooher and O'Neill is a bright star for the year ahead.

I actually felt sorry for Derry, as it was going to be difficult enough meeting Tyrone this week, but to do it without as many key players due to injuries and suspensions, it was going to be near impossible for them. Never-the-less, they stuck with Tyrone for a good portion of the game, but it never looked as if they were going to win it.

Even with the few shuffles during the game, it was a good clean game.... well as clean as Tyrone v Derry pairings can be. Derry just got frustrated in the end and let their heads out.

On another note, it is well known on this board that I have major problems with the stewarts and disabled facilities at Casement Park. However I want to take this opportunity to congratulate and thank the Antrim GAA Board for the vast improvements. The Disabled Stand has now moved to under the press box at the Stadia. There is an excellent view of the pitch and I could see all which was happening on the pitch. Before, I was stuck behind the stands and could not see up at the Motorway end of the pitch. The stewarts now are much better and are far more curtious. At long last too, there is now disabled parking, which makes a big differences to myself and other disabled fans.
Testing Accessibility

BobKelso

Quote from: peterquaife on June 21, 2009, 11:51:01 PM
Quote from: BobKelso on June 21, 2009, 10:25:54 PM
Mark Lynchs best position is on the bench.

and your best position is on the high stool 4 / 5 nights per week, 20 fags and a few take aways...any spare time, sure log onto a forum and make smart remarks about a young amateur athlete busting a gut for his county with scant reward
???

Busting a gut, he wastes more in his sleep than he does in a Derry jersey. I've said it before, he needs to be dropped from the pannel for a year, concentrate on club football and get back to basics.

Im not as downheated as most Derry fans. Our problem was our lack of options going forward. When we needed to bring subs of the bench, we didnt have it due to our injuries.

rrhf

Certaqin element of cruise about Tyronme these days,  but there would be areas we can work on.   Sean Cavanagh is keeping her wrapped up at the moment, Stevie and Joe off again.  Very disappointed in some of the twits mentioning ricey.  Listen if PB was on top of ye he does the same,(showboating etc)  ye seen the respect Kevin Mc Guckin had for Sean Cavanagh, ye could see the respect Mc Guigan had for Dooher, to me those actions were the worst goings on on the field yesterday and they werent that bad compared to what Derry got up to against Monaghan.  Derry were in the main uncompetitive yesterday, I always had my doubts but after yesterday I think Cassidy is a bluffer. 

SidelineKick

Quote from: SidelineKick on June 17, 2009, 05:19:21 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on June 17, 2009, 05:02:13 PM
I know most people will hold their cards close to their chest in these sorts of matches but as a Tyrone fan I am going to be honest and say what I think..... I think Tyrone will win this match easy by 5+ points.  Even if Derry had a full squad available Tyrone would be too strong but they are far from full strength. Tyrone are as injury free as they have been in years and are in a determined mood. Derry have a few great players one of which is suspended but their squad strength is no where near Tyrone's and in the modern game it takes 18 - 20 players to win not just a couple of 'stars'.

It would be a massive shock to me if Tyrone do not win this game convincingly.

Have to agree with this.  it will start out like any championship game does and will be tight, maybe even to half time with tyrone up by a couple.  A defining moment like a sending off for Derry or  Tyrone goal will get Tyrone on their way to a 5/6 point win.  Not very comfortable but with a bit left in the tank if they need it. Thats my honest opinion on how it will go.

I wasn't far off in my assessment! Disappointed but not surprised.  The things that bothered me about yesterday:

1) Derry's lack of a plan B (AGAIN), for God's sake everyone on this board knew what Harte was going to do how did Cassidy not plan for it?
2) The changes that Cassidy made and how slow he was to make them, no disrespect to Eoin brown as its not his fault but how he managed to stay on for 70+ mins is beyond me.
3) A crowd of Dungannon wankers in front of us that I don't think even knew there was a game on. Singing, cursing as loud as they could and slapping each other round the head was the height of their day, why does every county have dicks like this? They'd be better off on a bar stool watching it.
4) That wee Monobrow bastard.  In Paddy Bradley's face even when the game was well and truely over, he's a hateful wee ****.
5) Cavanagh's dive and lying holding his head, it's a mans game, he should be ashamed of himself.

Now I have that off my chest, I think Tyrone will be extremely hard to beat this year, they could have upped it again yesterday and weren't even going full pelt.  Worrying for Derry. Although we have a few players to come back we really seen yesterday how far off the top team(s) they are.  Cassidy has a bit of explaining to do.  No one was expecting a Derry win but I think we all felt we may come close.  The changes he made were puzzling and the fact that once Gormley dropped back (from day one) Cassidy was stumped makes me quite cross.  I thought he was more shrewd than that.  Derry are the most frustrating and disappointing team to follow in Ireland.  I'm thinking about following the cricket from now on.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Zapatista

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on June 21, 2009, 11:58:00 PM
Just after seeing Davy Harte's "booking" there. He didn't even tackle the Derry man, it was PJ, and Kinneavy booked him for it  :o

I think he was booked for an earlier off the ball incident. It just so happened he did it after PJ's foul.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Zapatista on June 22, 2009, 08:26:30 AM

I think he was booked for an earlier off the ball incident. It just so happened he did it after PJ's foul.

Thought that also.

Haven't time to trawl through everything and I am bigger and better man than he, but what was Max's take on the whole thing?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

rrhf

Sk I dont know what yes had on the bench, but Cassidy watched watched and watched yesterday, changes were far too slow.  Bradley plays the game arrogant and cockily and will murder ye when hes on top read the times yesterday in his own words, Ricey just gave him what he wants. Paddya answer would have been to  show up yesterday and play like he wanted Derry to win.  

JMohan

Just watched that whole game again ...

Diver had a very good game and tried hard for Derry

Cassidy made a terrible mistake putting two of his weakest men at the two wing forward positions
Murphy is no midfielder - McGoldrick would ahve been better -or even McKaigue
I wonder should McCloy have not been given a run at CHB
Skinner was outstanding to be fair to him, Paddy was just ok
Tyrone had a great all over game, Jordan, Hub Tommy were all good,
Cavanagh looks to be carrying a small injury or just getting over one

Keanvey is a poor referee ... there was no need to blow the whistle so many times.
Had no bearing on the result, he's just a poor ref.

SidelineKick

Quote from: rrhf on June 22, 2009, 08:41:41 AM
Sk I dont know what yes had on the bench, but Cassidy watched watched and watched yesterday, changes were far too slow.  Bradley plays the game arrogant and cockily and will murder ye when hes on top read the times yesterday in his own words, Ricey just gave him what he wants. Paddya answer would have been to  show up yesterday and play like he wanted Derry to win.  

rrhf agree with you that Paddy played right into his hands. But McMeniman had an easy time marking him with Gormley sitting in front mopping up everything, how Cassidy didn't make a change in tactics is beyond me.

We were limited on the bench but he ended up putting on a player that played no games this year for Derry and another who was terrible in the McKenna cup.. if he was going to play them at all why wait until its too late to throw them on.  Its about taking chances and if he had that much confidence in them he should have given them adequate time on the field.

Although I may be biased Paul Young can certainly feel very hard done by.  Had a decent half V mayo in NL and a good game V Galway, certainly thought he could have expected some game time yesterday.

Derrys options were certainly limited, but Cassidy did use the subs in the end up.  Taking so long to do so is what annoyed me most about yesterday.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: saffron sam2 on June 22, 2009, 08:41:21 AM
Quote from: Zapatista on June 22, 2009, 08:26:30 AM

Thought that also.

Maybe so. Was just watching the analysis at half time on the BBC and noticed it, so not sure what went on before hand. Davy did seem a bit suprised though.

orangeman

Quote from: SidelineKick on June 22, 2009, 08:24:33 AM
Quote from: SidelineKick on June 17, 2009, 05:19:21 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on June 17, 2009, 05:02:13 PM
I know most people will hold their cards close to their chest in these sorts of matches but as a Tyrone fan I am going to be honest and say what I think..... I think Tyrone will win this match easy by 5+ points.  Even if Derry had a full squad available Tyrone would be too strong but they are far from full strength. Tyrone are as injury free as they have been in years and are in a determined mood. Derry have a few great players one of which is suspended but their squad strength is no where near Tyrone's and in the modern game it takes 18 - 20 players to win not just a couple of 'stars'.

It would be a massive shock to me if Tyrone do not win this game convincingly.

Have to agree with this.  it will start out like any championship game does and will be tight, maybe even to half time with tyrone up by a couple.  A defining moment like a sending off for Derry or  Tyrone goal will get Tyrone on their way to a 5/6 point win.  Not very comfortable but with a bit left in the tank if they need it. Thats my honest opinion on how it will go.

I wasn't far off in my assessment! Disappointed but not surprised.  The things that bothered me about yesterday:

1) Derry's lack of a plan B (AGAIN), for God's sake everyone on this board knew what Harte was going to do how did Cassidy not plan for it?
2) The changes that Cassidy made and how slow he was to make them, no disrespect to Eoin brown as its not his fault but how he managed to stay on for 70+ mins is beyond me.
3) A crowd of Dungannon w**kers in front of us that I don't think even knew there was a game on. Singing, cursing as loud as they could and slapping each other round the head was the height of their day, why does every county have dicks like this? They'd be better off on a bar stool watching it.
4) That wee Monobrow b**tard.  In Paddy Bradley's face even when the game was well and truely over, he's a hateful wee ****.
5) Cavanagh's dive and lying holding his head, it's a mans game, he should be ashamed of himself.

Now I have that off my chest, I think Tyrone will be extremely hard to beat this year, they could have upped it again yesterday and weren't even going full pelt.  Worrying for Derry. Although we have a few players to come back we really seen yesterday how far off the top team(s) they are.  Cassidy has a bit of explaining to do.  No one was expecting a Derry win but I think we all felt we may come close.  The changes he made were puzzling and the fact that once Gormley dropped back (from day one) Cassidy was stumped makes me quite cross.  I thought he was more shrewd than that.  Derry are the most frustrating and disappointing team to follow in Ireland.  I'm thinking about following the cricket from now on.

You predicted a comfortable win for Tyrone - but then say that you all felt that you would come close ??.

What should Cassidy have done when Gormley went back ?.