Ulster Semifinal- Derry v Tyrone 21/6/09 Casement Park

Started by Oakleafer93, May 31, 2009, 03:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aroundincircles

Quote from: hardstation on June 21, 2009, 10:17:51 PM
As I was standing watching the game today, poor aul Saffron Sam being ridiculed about his suggestion (that 5/6 Antrim men would make the Derry team) entered my head. Now, I don't really want to get into that arguement but Derry are carrying some lads who just aren't good enough at this level (I know they are missing players). It just seems that they are hyped to the hill every year and you look at their team on paper and think it's a good team but then you see them play a couple of games and realise that some of the boys aren't anywhere near as good as you thought they were.

This next comment/question is going to be completely unfair and I apologise before posting it but I'll throw it out there anyway to see what you think........

Has Mark Lynch played a good game since he was 16?

No but it is coming

Archie Mitchell

He's being played out of position. Best position for his size and style of play is centre half back.

omagh_gael

not long in from the game, agree with most of what's been said, we very rarely needed to get out of third gear although there was a surreal subdued atmosphere from the crowd and the game, v little real intensity! Have to highlight hub and penrose, excellent, seem to remember a poster chatting bout penrose having a stormer after a poor game, good perception!!

Finally an extremely annoying trip to the game, was 5 miles from the ground at 1pm and didn't get in to quarter past 2, f**king 5 mile tailback for a one land exit, poor venue to see a game, roll on the final!!

Archie Mitchell

I don't know. I just think he would be best suited to that position.

BobKelso

Tyrones own

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

ExiledGael

O'Neill's was just a dislocated finger apparently.
Think everyone feared the worst when he went down, including the management.

gerry

Good to see the "lets blame ricey" posters back out again., one thing about ricey you seldom here him having a poor game. Tyrone slow build up looking good again this year
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

gerry

Quote from: ExiledGael on June 21, 2009, 10:30:42 PM

Maybe i am wrong did sean do the same to his finger last year and look at the season he had
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

mick999

Quote from: Tyrones own on June 21, 2009, 10:27:49 PM
Any latest on the injuries today.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/northern_ireland/the_championship/8111840.stm
Harte concern over injured pair 

Joe McMahon is stretchered off at Casement Park
Tyrone's comfortable 0-15 to 0-7 win over Derry in the Ulster SFC semi-final came at a cost with Joe McMahon and Stephen O'Neill picking up injuries.

Red Hands boss Mickey Harte said the rib injury suffered by McMahon looked "serious" while O'Neill was forced off with a dislocated thumb.

Harte was delighted to make the final but believes his team can improve.

"We played well in spells while at other times we were wayward, but the result is all we wanted," he said.

The victory sets up a 19 July decider against Antrim or Cavan at Clones.

Harte added: "In the last 10-12 minutes we had chances to bury the game but we didn't do that and if Derry had scored a goal we would have been in serious trouble.

"We need to work harder and get better at what we do.

"Derry are a team in transition and they were missing key players - it's very hard to cope with that.

"If we lost three to four quality players out of our team we would not be in such a strong position.

"We have to be careful going into the final as we will be favourites and we will need to be on our best form to win.

"Cavan or Antrim will want to win their first Ulster title in a long time and we will have to deal with that."

Derry manager Damien Cassidy was disappointed that his team did not execute the game-plan devised to overcome the All-Ireland champions.

"The game we were wanting to play never transpired and that is the most disappointing aspect of it," he said.

"I don't mind losing but you want your team to play the game the way they have to play it.

"The match turned on the 15 minutes after half-time as we went out to try and make a response.

"Neither team scored for 14 minutes and we needed two or three points but we didn't take our chances, Tyrone scored and the game petered out after that.

"We have to get back on track again, gather our thoughts and move on."

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: gerry on June 21, 2009, 10:34:22 PM
Quote from: ExiledGael on June 21, 2009, 10:30:42 PM

Maybe i am wrong did sean do the same to his finger last year and look at the season he had

Sean Cavanagh dislocated his finger in the All-Ireland Semi-Final v Wexford.

aroundincircles

stephan oneill must give that american combined insurance some cleaning out!!!

ExiledGael

Quote from: gerry on June 21, 2009, 10:31:39 PM
Good to see the "lets blame ricey" posters back out again., one thing about ricey you seldom here him having a poor game. Tyrone slow build up looking good again this year

Fully agree, superb footballer and I would love a few like him in Fermanagh (ability wise).
But you also seldom see him having manners or respect on the pitch.

Rois

Thought Jordan had as influential a game as Hughes. PJ Quinn looks like he's always been there.

One strange thing that came to my attention today was how good the Tyrone players are at keeping possession despite very hard (mainly fair) tackles. Rarely did they spill the ball when brought/sent to ground. Looks like something they've worked on specifically.

aroundincircles

Seen mc guckin sending off there he was lucky he did'nt break cavanaghs jersey.