Ulster Semifinal- Derry v Tyrone 21/6/09 Casement Park

Started by Oakleafer93, May 31, 2009, 03:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southderryman

Quote from: southderryman on June 16, 2009, 11:57:40 PM
Quote from: ONeill on June 16, 2009, 11:15:00 PM
The Cassidy factor worries me.

missing m mcgoldrick, n mccusker, p cartin, f doherty, p bradley, e muldoon, etc, worries me

could also add colind devlin to that list, another man who has no luck with injuries

ONeill

Tyrone last day out:

J Devine; PJ Quinn, Justin McMahon, R McMenamin;
D Harte, C Gormley (1-00), P Jordan;
K Hughes, E McGinley;
M Penrose, T McGuigan (0-02, 2f), Joe McMahon (0-01, '45');
S O'Neill (1-03, 2f), S Cavanagh (0-02), O Mulligan (0-01).

Subs: B Dooher (0-01) for McGuigan, C Cavanagh for Penrose, Sean O'Neill for Justin McMahon, N Gormley for Joe McMahon, C Holmes for Hughes

There's always the chance that Mickey'll stick to a winning formula although it'd be hard to see Dooher not starting if he's close to full fitness. Personally I'd like to see Tommy and O'Neill as a two man full forward line.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Red Hand in league of their own -- McGrath

By Liam Kelly

Tuesday June 16 2009

HOW do you stop the Tyrone machine? That's the challenge facing the cream of the managerial crop in this 2009 championship campaign.

Already, Armagh's Peter McDonnell has brought the Orchard County into battle with the All-Ireland champions and tasted the bitter pill of defeat.

Next Sunday it's the turn of Derry and Damian Cassidy, in the Ulster semi-final, to throw the gauntlet down to the top team in the country.

Countrywide, managers with aspirations of claiming the final All-Ireland title of this decade have to ask themselves: "Do we have what it will take to match and beat Tyrone?"

Pete McGrath, twice an All-Ireland-winning manager of Down and boss of the Irish team which defeated Australia in the International Rules series in 2004, has analysed the key areas for aspiring conquerors of the Sam Maguire holders.

His blueprint has seven headings: (1) Intensity of performance, (2) Workrate, (3) Team ethic, (4) Adaptability and mobility of players, (5) Mental strength, (6) Talent, (7) Manager's and players' motivation.

These are the combined elements that have brought Tyrone three All-Ireland titles since 2003 and any side that cannot match the Ulster lionhearts in these areas will fall crucially short when it counts.

Of course, McGrath knows better than anyone that any team can be caught on any given day.

The problem for the chasing pack is that Tyrone don't look like falling into the trap of complacency.

Currently the Down U-21 manager, McGrath says that to have any hope of beating Tyrone, the opposition has to beat the champs at their own game. That, by any standards, is a tall order.

The good news is, yes, it can be done. The bad news, however, is that time is a crucial factor and he questions whether the leading counties have yet developed to a comparable level.

Intensity

"You have to say that Tyrone, over the last number of years, have played at a higher level of intensity and a more prolonged level of intensity than the rest.

"Their style demands a very high workrate from their players and that stems from a very strong team ethic.

"The fact is they also have a lot of very good footballers who are capable of playing in different areas of the pitch according to the demands of the game and the opposition.

"This is a key area in which they have set the standards and which any team which hopes to run them close or beat them has to match them," he said.

Mental strength is an asset which Tyrone have in abundance.

"Teams facing them have to believe in their fellow players and knowing that everyone will fight to the very end for the cause.

"You need that mental resilience to get you through on the big days.

"That is only built up over time by working together in training.

"The best confidence you can have comes from knowing you have done the hard work and that you believe in the players around you," said McGrath."

That brought him to the essentials of talent and motivation.

"We also have to recognise that talent is a big part of it. That's a given, because if you don't have the raw talent, no amount of training can make up for it.

"If you talk about motivation, there's no lack of it for the manager or the players.

"Mickey Harte has been in charge for seven years and that helps, but I can assure you that if he hadn't been successful, he wouldn't have been there that long.

"This group have sat down and seen that retaining the All-Ireland could be their greatest legacy.

"Most of the team are in their mid to late twenties and success generates success, so that will propel them through the campaign," said McGrath.

Can Derry be the side to shock the pundits and Tyrone?

"I don't think so," said McGrath. "The suspensions to key players and the injuries in the camp are big problems.

"I expect Derry to mount a challenge, but it won't be as strong a challenge as it could have been, so I'd see Tyrone winning this one."

And what about the likelihood of other challengers?

"Right now, based on what we've seen to date, only Cork look like credible contenders but there's a long way to go and that could change," said McGrath.

- Liam Kelly

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaa-championships/gaelic-football/red-hand-in-league-of-their-own---mcgrath-1774581.html

ONeill

Canavan's call

Tyrone aiming for Ulster Final slot

Tyrone can win this game but I think it will be very tight. This is a big, big game for Derry. Winning may not get them the title but it's very much their Ulster Final, so important is it in psychological terms.
Derry have been the big Ulster under-achievers in the championship. Never mind the fact that they failed to add to the All-Ireland glory of 1993, but they know they've been starved of provincial success for far too long.
They have always been very talented, but they have been missing the grit, determination and steel that needs to be incorporated with that ability. And that is what Damien Cassidy brings to a team - a totally focussed approach, a la what Clonoe experienced. He will have instilled a very focussed approach and the iron resolve will be very evident.

Cassidy, pictured right, made no bones about where he stands when he summarily dismissed criticism of their performance after the Monaghan match by saying he's not out to entertain and the result is all that matters.
What we will see is a completely different Derry team to that which played under Paddy Crozier and even before that. The personnel may be along much the same lines, but the way they play and their blinkered attitude will be different to what went before.
Now they will miss Fergal Doherty, there's no doubt about that. Derry with him in their team is a completely different outfit to Derry without him. Physically very strong and with tremendous vision, he's a key member of the side. Who'll fill the gap? Maybe Patsy Bradley will be fit to do that, but I feel that the jersey will more than likely be entrusted to Enda Muldoon.

Talking of Tyrone, I would not be anywhere near as carried away about the display against Armagh as some appear to be.
The defence played very well for 80 per cent of the game, but were not nearly as influential in the last ten minutes.
To a large degree, the attack was atrocious. They went 20 minutes without scoring and had no focus and were lackadaisical. I'm not naming names, but the half-forward line was particularly guilty. The first half was brutal, that's the only way I can put it - and that will definitely not do against Derry.

Derry's half-backs are very capable and especially influential, most notably Paul Cartin and Barry McGoldrick who is usually good for three or four points as well - with Sean leo McGoldrick not far behind them. Facing men of that calibre, the Tyrone half-forwards need to knuckle down and a good kick up the backside would do them no harm.
Incidentally, I wonder whether there's any truth in the rumours that James Conway might not be in the Derry squad for Casement Park?

Moving on, let me say again that I still believe we do not get nearly enough from Sean Cavanagh. He's a fabulous footballer and we get occasional glimpses of his genius, but Brendan Donaghy showed the last day that he can be almost marked out of a game if the back is willing to sacrifice his own reputation in order to fulfil that negative role. Kevin McCloy is capable of doing that job, but he may be tempted to play football - which is what he does best.

The world and its mother saw that the long ball in gave Tyrone trouble and it paid big dividends for Armagh towards the end. And I suspect Derry may feel it's the right ploy for the Bradleys who'll be waiting for that sort of supply. But, as somebody else observed, Micky Harte saw that as well and may have a counter-plan.
I believe he may opt to pull Joe McMahon deep into a sweeping role to negate that tactic, but then that might give a bit more freedom to the Oak Leaf half-backs and allow them to come up more often to join the attack - and that all adds to the fascination of this fixture.

Leaving Clones after the quarter-final win, I said to myself 'Thank God we have Stevie O'Neill in the team'. And I feel he may be the catalyst to victory on Sunday. And I hope Brian Dooher is fit to join the action at some stage. He looked akin to a cripple as he went on against Armagh but, once he got the ball, what a player he showed himself to be.
In summary, Tyrone are tipped to win, but it's not going to be easy - and maybe far from pretty as well.

http://www.tyronetimes.co.uk/2618/Canavan39s-call.5369060.jp

rrhf

Quote from: ziggysego on June 16, 2009, 11:47:50 PM
Nah, straight to the game and away from the game.

Last time I arranged to meet the boardies, only rrhf turned up.
Right Ziggy that next Coronas going over yer head. 

Fuzzman

Nice to see Peter calling it as it was regarding the forwards v Armagh.
Indeed a kick up the arse is needed even if it was only the 1st round.

Sean always seems to be slow to show us true form every year & you almost wonder does he take his foot of the gas cos he knows he doesn't need to bust a gut.

I'll be disappointed to see Penrose start and expect Brian Mc to make a start with Maybe Mellon and Joey wing half forwards
I'd be happy enuf with Stevie, Sean & Mugsy as long as they stay in the FF line & not leave Stevie there on his own again.

Is SML fit?
Do people foresee a big delay getting into the ground getting tickets or do you just pay at the turnstile and not buy tickets 1st?

SidelineKick

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 17, 2009, 11:16:30 AM
Nice to see Peter calling it as it was regarding the forwards v Armagh.
Indeed a kick up the arse is needed even if it was only the 1st round.

Sean always seems to be slow to show us true form every year & you almost wonder does he take his foot of the gas cos he knows he doesn't need to bust a gut.

I'll be disappointed to see Penrose start and expect Brian Mc to make a start with Maybe Mellon and Joey wing half forwards
I'd be happy enuf with Stevie, Sean & Mugsy as long as they stay in the FF line & not leave Stevie there on his own again.

Is SML fit?
Do people foresee a big delay getting into the ground getting tickets or do you just pay at the turnstile and not buy tickets 1st?

Think its just cash at thr turnstile.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Fuzzman

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on June 17, 2009, 12:51:27 AM
Canavan's call

To a large degree, the attack was atrocious. They went 20 minutes without scoring and had no focus and were lackadaisical. I'm not naming names, but the half-forward line was particularly guilty. The first half was brutal, that's the only way I can put it - and that will definitely not do against Derry.

Derry's half-backs are very capable and especially influential, most notably Paul Cartin and Barry McGoldrick who is usually good for three or four points as well - with Sean leo McGoldrick not far behind them. Facing men of that calibre, the Tyrone half-forwards need to knuckle down and a good kick up the backside would do them no harm....

Who does he think he is, God or something?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

amigo

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 17, 2009, 12:15:54 PM
Quote from: ONeill on June 17, 2009, 12:51:27 AM
Canavan's call

Derry's half-backs are very capable and especially influential, most notably Paul Cartin and Barry McGoldrick who is usually good for three or four points as well - with Sean leo McGoldrick not far behind them. Facing men of that calibre, the Tyrone half-forwards need to knuckle down and a good kick up the backside would do them no harm....

Who does he think he is, God or something?

This is Sean Canavan the former tyrone trainer form Ardboe!! Not The Great One !!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: amigo on June 17, 2009, 12:24:14 PM
This is Sean Canavan the former tyrone trainer form Ardboe!! Not The Great One !!

Have you now!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

supersarsfields

Am starting to look forward to this now aswell. Will be interesting to see if either of the Brian's feature in the starting line up.
Also has there been any word on McCullagh's fitness? He was due to be back for this game wasn't he?

Onion Bag

Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

longball

There is not near as much hype about this game as there was for Tyrone Armagh. Im not even going to this game just gonna watch it on the telly couldnt be bothered with the hassle of Casement to be honest if it was in clones i was there but there u go..... but dont let my absent pt others off going to the game I no it wont be as good of craic without me there but im sure u's will get by ok.
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

Mr. Nakata

Are you taking the piss longball? I hope so. Any tyrone gael who would even contemplate missing out on a crucial semi final championship match against the auld enemy is beyond contempt. Jesus Christ. This is unmissable. What's the big deal about Casement Park?