Down v Derry 1994 Classic - 15 years ago today.

Started by cornafean, May 29, 2009, 02:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornafean

Its hard to believe that its 15 years to the day since Down and Derry played what was probably the greatest championship game of recent decades, in Celtic Park on May 29 1994.

So many great players on the field that day, so many great performances.

I remember in particular Mickey Linden's six points from play, two with the left foot, two with his right and two fisted over the bar.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Feckitt

Does anyone know the teams that lined out.  Couldn't find it on google

Chuck Lidl

there is no need for a thread for this match - it is w*nked over by lads from the respective counties in nearly every other thread anyway - and 15 years? get over it, it's not like it was the first game to be played on the moon

GalwayBayBoy

I saw a replay of this game recently and while it was a very good game of football it wasn't THAT great. Probably up there amongst the best games of the last 15 years alright but I dunno maybe a little overhyped at this stage. I really enjoyed watching it but it didn't blow me away or anything. Probably been built up too much in my own mind.

5 Sams

Quote from: Chuck Lidl on May 29, 2009, 03:21:59 PM
there is no need for a thread for this match - it is w*nked over by lads from the respective counties in nearly every other thread anyway - and 15 years? get over it, it's not like it was the first game to be played on the moon

Did you get a new computer with your confirmation money Chuck?
The Aristocrat Years

norabeag

Quote from: 5 Sams on May 29, 2009, 03:39:01 PM
Quote from: Chuck Lidl on May 29, 2009, 03:21:59 PM

Did you get a new computer with your confirmation money Chuck?
No he just thinks that all the best games were post 2003

fer fox ache

Don't remember it fondly at all, walking out of the ground having given up our All-Ireland title at the first hurdle.
I was much happier walking out of last Sunday's shitefest on the right side of the result

Our Nail Loney

Oakleafer93

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on May 29, 2009, 03:53:45 PM
Can this be downloaded anywhere?

Send 'GAABEO' on Youtube a private message requesting it and they will try to upload it for you. I requested a match and the uploaded it.

Mourne Rover

It's always difficult to assess the quality of a match when you watch a recording many years later and you already know what is going to happen. Those of us who were there on the day will never forget Celtic Park in 1994.

We had two outstanding teams at the peak of their powers on a beautiful day at an atmospheric venue, with enough sub-plots to keep everyone talking for much more than 15 years.

It might have been a different result if Tohill's first half thunderbolt had not been tipped over by Collins, and two of the key scores of the second half, McCusker's goal and the point from James McCartan, involved steps in double figures.

However, Down finished the game like champions and could even afford glaring misses from McCabe and Withnell before the McCabe goal which will always live in our hearts.

Mike Sheehy

Totally overrated game that has been mythologized ad nauseum. Its hilarious listening to the Nordies with their constant revisionism of the 70's and 80's going on about this tripe as a classic.

The early 90's were a low point in the history of Gaelic football only to be redeemed by the re-emergence of  Galway, Meath and Kerry.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 29, 2009, 07:54:43 PMThe early 90's were a low point in the history of Gaelic football only to be redeemed by the re-emergence of  Galway, Meath and Kerry.

Oakleafer93

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 29, 2009, 07:54:43 PM
Totally overrated game that has been mythologized ad nauseum. Its hilarious listening to the Nordies with their constant revisionism of the 70's and 80's going on about this tripe as a classic.

The early 90's were a low point in the history of Gaelic football only to be redeemed by the re-emergence of  Galway, Meath and Kerry.

WUM if ever I did see one. If you count Meath's ambush on Tyrone in 1996 redeeming then your clearly delusional.

norabeag

70s wasn't gaelic football, more of a bastardised basket ball cum thuggery. Early 90s was the great breath of freash air that the GAA needed with the monopoly of the D's ;) very reminiscent of the 60s ;D

5 Sams

a bit like the 77 semi final

As we say in this neck of the woods Mike....you're good crack.

Away over to the Munster 25 thread and give us your considered opinion....ie post a comment about something you know about instead of winding us sensitive nordies up :)

The Aristocrat Years