Social Gaelic football

Started by mckieran, May 29, 2009, 11:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mckieran

I recall a match that I was at a few years ago. There was an exhibition of social football & social hurling at half-time. The initative was to encourage more people to play GAA away from a competitive environment. Is there any where you can do this now? I would be interested in playing to get fit but couldnt give that kind of commitment to a club team

full back

I honestly feel the nature of the game would make it very very difficult to make it a social occasion

DennistheMenace

mckieran

QuoteI honestly feel the nature of the game would make it very very difficult to make it a social occasion

Ture, the exhibition I saw, there were no shoulders allowed

Harold Disgracey

Recreational football as it is now is great craic. Diarmaid Marsden is thd main driving force behind it. It was first trialled during north Armagh gaelic week last year. There are tournaments run fairly regularly, there was one in Cookstown last month. We had one for Lá na gClub which was a good laugh and have a match organised with Ardboe next month. Rules are simple enough, only two touches and only incidental contact allowed.

mckieran

QuoteRecreational football as it is now is great craic. Diarmaid Marsden is thd main driving force behind it. It was first trialled during north Armagh gaelic week last year. There are tournaments run fairly regularly, there was one in Cookstown last month. We had one for Lá na gClub which was a good laugh and have a match organised with Ardboe next month. Rules are simple enough, only two touches and only incidental contact allowed.

You know anywhere in Dublin that you could play? Where they would be looking for players?

soldier of destiny

Quote from: mckieran on May 29, 2009, 01:17:28 PM
QuoteRecreational football as it is now is great craic. Diarmaid Marsden is thd main driving force behind it. It was first trialled during north Armagh gaelic week last year. There are tournaments run fairly regularly, there was one in Cookstown last month. We had one for Lá na gClub which was a good laugh and have a match organised with Ardboe next month. Rules are simple enough, only two touches and only incidental contact allowed.

You know anywhere in Dublin that you could play? Where they would be looking for players?

I happened to be on the Naomh Mearnog GAA club website a while back and noticed they had Social Gaelic Football teams.  If they're not convient to you maybe they could put you in contact with other clubs who have social teams. http://www.naomhmearnog.ie/index.php?page=social-football-hurling

Oakleafer93

Canalman

Have missed the boat on this one ..... in the towns/cities anyway. Tag rugby has it sewn up.

Zulu

Not necessarily so, tag rugby has taken off alright but like anything else people can become sick of something after awhile. Social football, if done properly, can easily offer people an enjoyable alternative and with so many people having some experience of the game it could take off quickly.

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

clarshack

Quote from: Gnevin on May 30, 2009, 11:02:13 PM
If it's anything like this shite I'll give it a miss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXw8PYVlwkI

whatthe f*ck was that?

this should be more like it:

http://www.harps.org/news/index.cfm - click on the video link under Lá na gClub 2009

a few boys with a few bellies having a bit of fun!

sanmartinpo

I also would like to play friend

www.dominicanflash.com