Connacht 25

Started by Barney, May 29, 2009, 10:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

No problem Sligonain , In fariness o 'Hara was a qualitly footballer but imo i'd have Donnellan,  Mc D and Joyce ahead of him
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

moysider

Quote from: DJGaliv on June 03, 2009, 01:17:07 AM
Quote from: moysider on May 31, 2009, 01:24:52 PM

No. Jnr would come into the reckoning as would Val Daly. Would have great time for O Hara myself. Reckon if we had him we would have won at least one AI in the 96-2006 era. Easily the equal of Michael Donnellan imo.

Hard to believe you would favour an athlete over the most naturally gifted footballer to have played the game in Connacht over the last 25 years.

I did nt favour anyone and besides labelling Donnellan as just an athlete is a bit harsh, dont you think?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 03, 2009, 10:05:20 AM
No problem Sligonain , In fariness o 'Hara was a qualitly footballer but imo i'd have Donnellan,  Mc D and Joyce ahead of him

Fair enough, I would have OHara a little ahead of all 3, but there all Giants of Connacht football and Im blessed to have seen them all. Dissapointed I never seen Tony McManus as hes getting alot of mention on here and must of been class act. I was at Ros Leitrim in 94 and remember Duggan getting one of the best scores i ever seen that day but thats it from Ros in the early 90s until 97 when we beat them.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 30, 2009, 05:53:56 AM
Quote from: Barney on May 29, 2009, 10:12:23 AM
Might as well have a go at this for the gaels of the West. I'm sure the Nordies will follow, and that should be a record length thread.

Anyway here is a quick off the top of my head effort. I think results over the last 15 years mean that more recent players will dominate:

Eugene Lavin (Mayo)

Kenneth Mortimer (Mayo)
Seamus Quinn (Leitrim)
Tomas Mannion (Galway)

Declan Meehan (Galway)
James Nallen (Mayo)
Sean Og de Paor (Galway)

Kevin Walsh (Galway)
Liam McHale (Mayo)

Ja Fallon (Galway)
Ciaran McDonald (Mayo)
Michael Donnellan (Galway)

Mickey Quinn (Leitrim)
Padrai Joyce (Galway)
Tony McManus (Ros)

7 Galway
5 Mayo
2 Leitrim
1 Ros 

Probably an insult to Sligo football, and a intentional one at that. Your hardly that pig headed and thick that O Hara wouldnt get on, mckiernan says O Hara is a LITTLE unlucky ffs will ya cop on to yereselves, condensening embarrasing stuff. He'd walk on to that team.

The thing some of yee dont realise, is O Hara carried us, he didnt have great players playing alongside him like others named above but he did have good wholehearted ones, Paul Taylor was unbelievable in the mid/late 90s for us when we werent that great either. Both would make mine.

I honestly cant remember seeing the 2 quinns, or mcmanus so it would be piontless me naming a team, I havnt missed a Sligo Championship on home soil since 89, but i vaguely remember the early 90s even, and only from a Sligo view, just thinking i seen seamus quinn in 02.

Although I doubt O Hara or Taylor will lose any sleep over the (---------) opinions of mayo folk on here, I wont be either 8). Fill in the blanks yerselves ;).

Told ya  :D
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

ludermor

In fairness Stevie Wonder could have seen that one coming

paddypastit

Sorry Sligonian but as a Sligo man that has been watching through the 25 yrs and that either played on or was involved in teams that played against all of them, I'd have to put all of Barney's six forwards ahead of anyone from Sligo, and I'd have Finnegan close to it as well.

I guess the problem is comparing guys across eras and in different types of teams playing differently. There is reeally no one that could better O'Hara at what O'Hara does which is a high tempo physical ball winning and ball carrying game but for football skill and a football brain, one on one, given the choice I'd have all those guys. Possibly, if you were picking an actual team to play that could complement each other and make the whole greater than the sum of the parts, then that might be a different decision but then most of those six were highly mobile, could win their own ball, could take the hits and were really really tough. In that context there might be a degree of 'sameness' about the game that Walsh and McHale played so maybe a more effective team would be O'Hara as a partner to one of them?

In terms of other Sligo forwards in the 25 year window John Kent at the end of his career, Sloyan and Taylor would have been substantially better at reading the game. EO'H could turn a game with a surge but there have been days too when it all passed him by.

If I was looking to get a Sligoman in there - Pat Kilcoyne...
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

stephenite

Quote from: paddypastit on June 04, 2009, 12:42:12 AM
In that context there might be a degree of 'sameness' about the game that Walsh and McHale played so maybe a more effective team would be O'Hara as a partner to one of them?

Agree 100% - there is, understandably a temptation to pick the best or most well known players in any of these kind of discussions but little heed paid to how these players wouild actually gel together.

Walsh/Liam Mac were undoubtedly the best midfielders in Connacht over the past 25 years but it does not necessarlily follow that they would be the most effective on the same team.

Obviously I'd have to plump for Liam MacHale, I'm not going to pick a Galway man over a legend from my own club. I'd be happy enough to see O'Hara wearing the No.9 jersey beside a Liam MacHale of the 1996 vintage.

David Clarke

Ken Mortimer
Seamus Quinn
Enon Gavin

James Nallen
Tomas Mannion
Sean Og De Paor

Liam Mac
E O'Hara

Ja Fallon
Ciaran Mac
Michael Donnellan

Kevin O'Neill
Padraig Joyce
Tony McManus

Subs : John Healy; Deccie Meehan; Dessie Sloyane; James Horan; Kevin McStay; Niall Finnegan; David Heaney; Dermot Flannagan; Gary Fahey;

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: paddypastit on June 04, 2009, 12:42:12 AM
Sorry Sligonian but as a Sligo man that has been watching through the 25 yrs and that either played on or was involved in teams that played against all of them, I'd have to put all of Barney's six forwards ahead of anyone from Sligo, and I'd have Finnegan close to it as well.

I guess the problem is comparing guys across eras and in different types of teams playing differently. There is reeally no one that could better O'Hara at what O'Hara does which is a high tempo physical ball winning and ball carrying game but for football skill and a football brain, one on one, given the choice I'd have all those guys. Possibly, if you were picking an actual team to play that could complement each other and make the whole greater than the sum of the parts, then that might be a different decision but then most of those six were highly mobile, could win their own ball, could take the hits and were really really tough. In that context there might be a degree of 'sameness' about the game that Walsh and McHale played so maybe a more effective team would be O'Hara as a partner to one of them?

In terms of other Sligo forwards in the 25 year window John Kent at the end of his career, Sloyan and Taylor would have been substantially better at reading the game. EO'H could turn a game with a surge but there have been days too when it all passed him by.

If I was looking to get a Sligoman in there - Pat Kilcoyne...

Firstly no need to be sorry, I agree on your Mchale and Walsh comparisment, good point but I think both would have to make it and push EOH in HF line for me, For Sligo Sloyan and Kilcoyne did spring to mind even Clancy in his prime but he didnt peak long enough, and kilcoyne would be closer than any of them but PT would be ahead of Sloyan IMO, were totally reliant on him from 95 to 2000.

I am suprised on your take on EOH, football brain is defined differently with people, for me, rarely did the game pass him by, and even if it did he try to cover others in trouble and i always noticed it, Timing of runs shows a football brain, I did say on his distribution he is a little erratic but thats down to how fast he is but we wouldnt want him to lose that.

Just take the Antrim game, Stenson got roasted by n7 EOH comes and destroys him, and it was his positiional sense on the breaks from midfield and timing of his support play that turned that flank in our favour, stenson was going to deep, EOH decision making was perfection, also with EOH his variance on runs, lines of runing, when to pass, look at the goal 07, he read that to perfection 40yards out, also his ability to come up with the big play when we need that demonstrates a football brain to me and is a whole lot harder see on the field, like I remember when Clancy would break down the field and maybe he'd lose possesion that other team would attack who was sitting at FB, EOH, he knew were vunerable if possesion was lost. On football skill again is ball carrying not a skill? One on one, whats the one thing defenders hate most? Hes not the best finisher ok, but hes not a corner forward but EOH has vision, can pick out a good pass and he can take a score under pressure, and I think his passing especially has improved with age as he has slowed down. Thats just my take.

Bod Mor

Quote from: stephenite on June 04, 2009, 01:48:14 AM

David Clarke

Ken Mortimer
Seamus Quinn
Enon Gavin

James Nallen
Tomas Mannion
Sean Og De Paor

Liam Mac
E O'Hara

Ja Fallon
Ciaran Mac
Michael Donnellan

Kevin O'Neill
Padraig Joyce
Tony McManus

Subs : John Healy; Deccie Meehan; Dessie Sloyane; James Horan; Kevin McStay; Niall Finnegan; David Heaney; Dermot Flannagan; Gary Fahey;

Fair play, 2 Ballina men. What team do you follow again  :P
Serious though I'd throw in Peter Burke, other than that that's some team. Although I'd have Willie Joe in there but who do ya take out.

On second thoughts, I'd throw Shane Curran in goals for pure entertainment value!
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

stephenite

Was waiting for someone to pick up on that one  ;D

Aye - there were a few players that could have made it but as I said above it's all about the balance of the overall team as opposed to the best players. I'm questioning my own sanity about leaving Dec Meehan on the bench - but couldn't leave James Nallen out and De Paor was a player I always had great time for.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Bod Mor on June 04, 2009, 06:54:07 AM

David Clarke

Ken Mortimer
Seamus Quinn
Enon Gavin

James Nallen
Tomas Mannion
Sean Og De Paor

Liam Mac
E O'Hara

Ja Fallon
Ciaran Mac
Michael Donnellan

Kevin O'Neill
Padraig Joyce
Tony McManus

Serious though I'd throw in Peter Burke, other than that that's some team. Although I'd have Willie Joe in there but who do ya take out.

On second thoughts, I'd throw Shane Curran in goals for pure entertainment value!

Your right :D, it was great to watch him bomb the field and the rossies shouting "for feck say will stay in your goals" beside me. In fairness he beat us in 04 with the peno and the most unbelievable free i ever seen from the ground, right beside the dugout outside the 45 into a stiff breeze, I remember thinking this ejit will never score this its impossible, put them a pt up then Sean Davey scored an unbeliveble sideline to push it to ET. Tough loss but one of the greatest Connacht matches ive seen.

moysider

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 04, 2009, 07:55:51 AM

David Clarke

Ken Mortimer
Seamus Quinn
Enon Gavin

James Nallen
Tomas Mannion
Sean Og De Paor

Liam Mac
E O'Hara

Ja Fallon
Ciaran Mac
Michael Donnellan

Kevin O'Neill
Padraig Joyce
Tony McManus

Your right :D, it was great to watch him bomb the field and the rossies shouting "for feck say will stay in your goals" beside me. In fairness he beat us in 04 with the peno and the most unbelievable free i ever seen from the ground, right beside the dugout outside the 45 into a stiff breeze, I remember thinking this ejit will never score this its impossible, put them a pt up then Sean Davey scored an unbeliveble sideline to push it to ET. Tough loss but one of the greatest Connacht matches ive seen.

I was right behind Curran when he struck that free into a crosswind. Unbelievable individual dispay by Curran that day. It was def the best game of football I ve ever enjoyed as a neutral.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: moysider on June 04, 2009, 09:58:15 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 04, 2009, 07:55:51 AM

David Clarke

Ken Mortimer
Seamus Quinn
Enon Gavin

James Nallen
Tomas Mannion
Sean Og De Paor

Liam Mac
E O'Hara

Ja Fallon
Ciaran Mac
Michael Donnellan

Kevin O'Neill
Padraig Joyce
Tony McManus

I was right behind Curran when he struck that free into a crosswind. Unbelievable individual dispay by Curran that day. It was def the best game of football I ve ever enjoyed as a neutral.

Funny thing my Dad said to me when he scored it, "That fecker he wouldnt do it against Mayo or Galway, but against us nails it, the b@#%ard" It was a compliment :D,.

the Deel Rover

yeah you would have to put curran in goal for entertainment value alone , remember him running from the dressing rooms in mc hale park in 2004 he let fly a kick and nearly took a camera mans head  :D  off one of the great characters of the game but a  class keeper at the same time .
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

GaillimhIarthair

Curran was as daft as a brush.  First came across him in a Galway / Ros minor game in 89 when Ros got a penalty and Curran ran 40 yards past the penalty taker and blasted the ball to the net to level the game  :o  Caused all sorts of mayhem at the time but our county board offered a replay and Ros promptly beat us down in Castlebar.