Championship attendances

Started by Maguire01, May 17, 2009, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

So what happened today? 9-10,000 in Brewster Park with a capacity of c.18,000, yet this game was all ticket! I was considering heading down, being at home, although all week on Ticketmaster this game was listed, but no tickets were on sale. On what basis do the Ulster Council make such decisions for games like this? Is there no attempt to put tickets on general sale - i.e. not just through clubs and county boards?

It's the same story next week - all ticket for Monaghan v Derry. It won't matter to me - i have tickets sorted for this one. But such arrangements are hardly a help in attracting people to games. Celtic Park holds 20k+. Does this really need to be all ticket?

Zulu

Will this game not sell out? I'd have thought with the relatively good year both teams have had and the optimism that both sets of supporters will bring that you'd easily get 20K. I know Derry haven't the biggest support but a home championship game would surely bring 8-10K for what promises to be one the games of the championship.

Maguire01

Maybe it will sell out. I'd expect a decent crowd from Monaghan. But they called it very wrong today.

erne bhoy

The GAA should stop being such whores and slash ticket prices. At least take the risk for say two years with a 50% price cut and if there isn't a worthwhile increase in attendance then by all means hike prices back up to extortionate levels but why not give the working man a chance in the meantime?

down6061689194

It's a fair reason but nothing to stop ticketmaster using their mobile trailer job they used at Omagh last year.

orangeman

Television coverage - BBC2 and RTE had it on today - poor weather - live TV = lower attendances - pay TV ???

Rufus T Firefly

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the GAA will make a match all ticket if they anticipate a crowd which is 75% or more of the ground capacity.

donelli

the match in brewster was all ticket. However, tickets were on sale at the ground yesterday behind the stand.

Of course, i only heard this last night!!!!

More information from the ulster gaa is needed.....
It shouldnt be a big secret!!!

down6061689194

Tad over 10K officially in Brewster. Thats just over 50%. Bad call.

Pangurban

Think this year will see a severe decline in attendances generally, an issue that needs to be addressed before we lose any more ground to Rugby and Soccer. It would hard to justify the current admission prices. plus we have a declining standard in the product we are offering

Maguire01

You're right, but my point was that regardless of price, if people can't buy the tickets with relative ease, it's not exactly going to help things either. Was Sunday's match ever going to attract 18,000, even if it had been a beautiful day?

down6061689194

I'm a bit annoyed that it's €25 for Dubs Meath at croker. Maybe this is acceptable for a game that will sell well.
Also Down adding a quid to all tickets for training. I think that isn't allowed?

Caid

Quote from: down6061689194 on May 18, 2009, 09:51:19 PM
Also Down adding a quid to all tickets for training. I think that isn't allowed?

That's standard.  £1 extra on the tickets in Fermanagh this year and last year.  Thought it was for the club rather than training though
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

Bogball XV

Quote from: hardstation on May 18, 2009, 09:54:46 PM
I'm a bit annoyed that it's €25 for Dubs Meath at croker. Maybe this is acceptable for a game that will sell well.
You get two senior matches for your 25 euro though.

Down added a quid for themselves? What the Jaysus?
I remember Derry used to charge the same in stg as the IR£ face value, the excess was for county board funds - thought it was a good idea myself.  In general though, the gaa have to take a good look at ticket prices, we've deflation everywhere else, there's no reason why tickets aren't dropping too, maybe concessions for unemployed (don't know how it'd work though, it'd surely be abused too).

Caid

maybe concessions for unemployed (don't know how it'd work though, it'd surely be abused too).

Jaysus sure you'd have the whole of South Armagh getting into Healy Park for nathin'!
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written