Is Sky HD worth it?

Started by balladmaker, May 14, 2009, 10:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

Are there enough HD channels to justify the extra £10 a month to have Sky HD plus fork out for a HD TV?  Is HD the business?

ziggysego

I got Freesat in a few weeks ago. At present on the BBC is in HD, but it is separate programme to the regular BBC schedules. UTV, Channel 4 and FilmFour are meant to be coming onto it soon.

No doubting the picture quality is amazing and you can see a big difference. I just don't know if the differences is worth £10 per month. At least not yet, until there's more commonplace.
Testing Accessibility

thebandit

I have it, its good but doesn't come on enough channels.

Poor Richard Keys looks like a werewolf on it!!

Minder

Quote from: thebandit on May 14, 2009, 11:43:14 AM
I have it, its good but doesn't come on enough channels.

Poor Richard Keys looks like a werewolf on it!!

He looks like a werewolf on my TV AND i dont have HD.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Hereiam

Ziggy thinkin about gettin that freesat. The house I am in has a dish and cable is to the tv. Does it matter what area your in. Currently have a digisat box but it only has a handfull of channels.

ziggysego

Quote from: Hereiam on May 14, 2009, 01:41:16 PM
Ziggy thinkin about gettin that freesat. The house I am in has a dish and cable is to the tv. Does it matter what area your in. Currently have a digisat box but it only has a handfull of channels.

The only difference is, whether or not you get ITV HD. The Ulster region doesn't, because of TV3. Other than that, no difference.
Testing Accessibility

The Real Laoislad

I can't tell the difference between HD and standard def Tv to be honest..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

shark

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 14, 2009, 04:31:20 PM

There is a huge difference to be fair.  When watching a match on SS1 and you then change to HD1 , it's a noticeable change in quality.  If you then change BACK to SS1, after seeing it in HD, the difference is startling.

ceol agus peil

Quote from: shark on May 14, 2009, 04:40:44 PM

There is a huge difference to be fair.  When watching a match on SS1 and you then change to HD1 , it's a noticeable change in quality.  If you then change BACK to SS1, after seeing it in HD, the difference is startling.

But is that difference worth a tenner a month?
Sent from my iphone

shark

Quote from: ceol agus peil on May 14, 2009, 04:46:50 PM
Quote from: shark on May 14, 2009, 04:40:44 PM

But is that difference worth a tenner a month?

Well that's the thing. For some people it is, for some it's not.  Depends what your value on €10 a month is.  At the moment you would probably want to be watching a lot of tv on HD channels to justify it. 

Archie Mitchell

I don't think it matters how many HD channels there are, it depends on the programmes being recorded on HD. More and more programmes are being recorded in HD so in a year or so HD will be well worth it.

The Sky HD box is now down to £49 with the £10 a month subscription. You could gamble on doing it now and hope Sky get rid of the subscription fee but increase the price of the box like they did with Sky + box a few years ago.

thebigfella

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on May 14, 2009, 05:00:26 PM
I don't think it matters how many HD channels there are, it depends on the programmes being recorded on HD. More and more programmes are being recorded in HD so in a year or so HD will be well worth it.

Lots of these programs only have HD content in them or are for eample 50% recorded in HD.

aidanmcg33

If you have freesat and change your settings to have an english postcode you will get itv hd as well. This is great for the champions league. When ever there is a football match on you just press the red button and hp is loaded. I dont know if they do hd for any thing else.

ziggysego

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on May 14, 2009, 05:03:06 PM
Ziggy, while I believe UTV doesn't have any HD programming at the moment, I'm told that ITV1 London is available on either channel 997 or 977 on Freesat. If both channels are showing the same material and a HD version is available, then you can watch the programme in HD via ITV1.

ITV1 London is available on Freesat in the 900s, but not the HD programming.
Testing Accessibility

mackers

Depends what you are watching. Some of the nature programmes are brilliant and the clarity of picture on the HD movie channels is better than DVD IMO. A lot of sports wouldn't be great with soccer and rugby having a lot of wide angles which doesn't lend itself to HD coverage, but golf coverage is a bit special with the aerial shots from the blimps and the close up of some shots.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.