Mayo v Roscommon - Connacht SFC Semi-Final, June 20, Venue TBC

Started by RedandGreenSniper, May 13, 2009, 09:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Just in the door myself, well all Mayo could do was beat what was in front of them. Ros were absolutely terrible. Lacked everything. Second half was a very damp squib, but it couldn't be the same level of 'intensity' from Mayo. But Ros, Jesus they have an awful lot to do.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: Rossfan on June 18, 2009, 09:34:48 PM
We WILL BATE them in Castlebar and won't we  be the proud buckos as we hit the first Ros town we meet on the way home ....BALLAGHADEREEN.... to drink a few pints of porter and  then piss in Durkans.

Oh dear, Roscommon's delusion never ceases to amaze, maybe it will now but I doubt it. Sure isn't their messiah in charge, they'll make the All-Ireland Quarters yet!

Maybe we should start a new thread allowing Rossies to come on and write detailed apologies to John Maughan for the way they treated him.

While I should probably feel sorry for Roscommon or something, I honestly don't. The attitude of their fans after the final in the Hyde in 2001 hasn't been forgotton and I have no sympathy for their current plight.

Just realised that even Mayo Mick (who probably isn't even from Mayo) underestimated the hammering we would give them! Any chance anyone could stick the match on Youtube?!
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

RedandGreenSniper

No one foresaw that drubbing. Much as I don't like Roscommon I did feel sorry for their fans having to watch that and felt sorry for Fergie O'Donnell too. It was just a day when their players collapsed and didn't wanna know. Mayo looked good in full flight early on but anything after that has to be backed against the fact that the game was over so soon. Poor crowd too - 15,000.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on June 20, 2009, 08:17:42 PM
We WILL BATE them in Castlebar and won't we  be the proud buckos as we hit the first Ros town we meet on the way home ....BALLAGHADEREEN.... to drink a few pints of porter and  then piss in Durkans.

Oh dear, Roscommon's delusion never ceases to amaze, maybe it will now but I doubt it. Sure isn't their messiah in charge, they'll make the All-Ireland Quarters yet!

Maybe we should start a new thread allowing Rossies to come on and write detailed apologies to John Maughan for the way they treated him.

While I should probably feel sorry for Roscommon or something, I honestly don't. The attitude of their fans after the final in the Hyde in 2001 hasn't been forgotton and I have no sympathy for their current plight.
Just realised that even Mayo Mick (who probably isn't even from Mayo) underestimated the hammering we would give them! Any chance anyone could stick the match on Youtube?!

You're damn right there muppet, and I won't forget that day for a long time. You couldn't feel sorry for them or beat them by enough often enough.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 20, 2009, 08:43:37 PM

You're damn right there muppet, and I won't forget that day for a long time. You couldn't feel sorry for them or beat them by enough often enough.

Farr, what happened in 2001 with the Ross fans?

AbbeySider

Write detailed apologies? More like beg for forgiveness. Now we have had our bad days too but paying €35 into that to watch a team roll over the way they did sickens me. It was an absolute and total disgrace the way Maughan was treated, they didnt respect him and threw the blame. That part of the reason I dont feel one bit sorry for them.

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: FL/MAYO on June 20, 2009, 09:10:03 PM

Well, on our retreat to the car we were shouted at, sworn at, had our car shaken up and down by Rossies as we tried to drive away and generally treated in the most ungracious manner I have ever seen from any set of GAA 'supporters'. You wouldn't see the likes of it at Millwall to be honest.

The flame still burns tells a similar story from his experiences at the game on his blog http://thereisalightthatnevergoesout.wordpress.com/2009/06/14/the-rossies-dont-you-just-love-beating-them/ and I've met plenty of other Mayo fans who also remember that day in particular for the same reason.

ross4life

13/07/1980 Mayo 0-8 Roscommon 3-13

proves these results can happen (enough of your John maughan BullS**T)

here's a few more results for you!

2/09/2001 Meath 2-14 Kerry 0-5

17/9/2006 Kerry 4-15 Mayo 3-5

20/5/2007 Galway 2-10 Mayo 0-9 (sligo became champs after this)

15/7/2007 Derry 2-13 Mayo 1-6

20/7/2008 Dublin 3-23 Wexford 0-9 (then wexford made semi final)

it's all about how you recover from heavy defeats! i thought people from Mayo would know this?  ;)

best of luck vrs Galway/Sligo
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on June 20, 2009, 09:25:23 PM

Well, on our retreat to the car we were shouted at, sworn at, had our car shaken up and down by Rossies as we tried to drive away and generally treated in the most ungracious manner I have ever seen from any set of GAA 'supporters'. You wouldn't see the likes of it at Millwall to be honest.

The flame still burns tells a similar story from his experiences at the game on his blog http://thereisalightthatnevergoesout.wordpress.com/2009/06/14/the-rossies-dont-you-just-love-beating-them/ and I've met plenty of other Mayo fans who also remember that day in particular for the same reason.

That piece seems to back up what your saying, except for the numerous comments posted after from supporters of both counties saying it is ill informed shite.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: ross4life on June 20, 2009, 09:29:31 PM
13/07/1980 Mayo 0-8 Roscommon 3-13

proves these results can happen (enough of your John maughan BullS**T)

here's a few more results for you!

2/09/2001 Meath 2-14 Kerry 0-5

17/9/2006 Kerry 4-15 Mayo 3-5

20/5/2007 Galway 2-10 Mayo 0-9 (sligo became champs after this)

15/7/2007 Derry 2-13 Mayo 1-6

20/7/2008 Dublin 3-23 Wexford 0-9 (then wexford made semi final)

it's all about how you recover from heavy defeats! i thought people from Mayo would know this?  ;)

best of luck vrs Galway/Sligo

These things can happen but as a neutral I was amazed how, given the rivalry between the 2 teams, Ros didn't seem one bit interested in winning today. They had no self belief, didn't look as fit as Mayo and were bet before they started. Something is not right in that camp and I doubt it can be fixed by your next game.

ross4life

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 20, 2009, 05:51:54 PM
Its a collective blame, and all sides need to look at themselves.

Ive been totally unconvinced by this myth that because ros won the minor in 06 they will be strong, but there not even close imo, they beat Leitrim who were down to the 4th choice free taker and only scrapped a win.  Ros at senior are poor and have been last few yrs simple, the older players arent leaders and thats the problem especially on the field. There in serious danger of wasting the underage talent coming through.

hmm i think i told ya already? but this is coming from a sligo fan that witnessed Mayo 3-11 Sligo (defending conn champs) 0-7 just last year!!!

it's easy to kick someone when their down ;) no myth i still have great faith remember there only still 20 ;) i would be more worried about sligo with no underage success & no players coming through
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 20, 2009, 09:31:21 PM
Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on June 20, 2009, 09:25:23 PM

That piece seems to back up what your saying, except for the numerous comments posted after from supporters of both counties saying it is ill informed shite.

Well, you would expect Ross fans to say it didn't happen - I'm only telling you what happened to me, maybe other Mayo fans got away and didn't experience it, but there's enough of us that did to make it more than some bulls**t story.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Pathetic match. Gave up on it at half time. Felt very sorry for the Roscommon supporters who travelled to Crossmaglen last year to watcht heir team give the most pathetic display I've ever seen from an intercounty side and today was just as bad. The supporters deserve better than that.

Mayo looked as good as they could look. I assume O'Mahony has enough nous to realise that just pumping the ball in long every time won't pay as many dividends again. Just need to vary their game a bit. Could be an excellent (if ultimately fairly meaningless) Connacht final if Galway get past Sligo.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

moysider

I honestly think that while Roscommon look in trouble it s nothing Mayo posters should concern themselves with too much. Maughan went into that job with his eyes open - as he did in Fermanagh. He was an experienced manager and should have known what would happen. As regards grief in 2001. I was dismayed how we blew that game and there was understandable crowing, and the behaviour of a few Rossies my least worry. But I or my group got no hassle from anybody. Would nt take it anyway. Anybody rocking my car would be chewing on the end of a wheelbrace.

I m not going to gloat about beating a poor Roscommon team. They have little talent and were never going to recover after bad start. Their worry is that they lack quality all over and hoping that those minors will come along and improve matters is wishful thinking. Obvious that likes of Shine will never be good enough. They cant keep wheeling out likes of Finneran in midfield either. Clubs like the Neale and Killala have better midfielders.

mannix

the twin towers got a goal between them? how many points? will the midfield and backs get the chance against galway to score?  roscommon done us more harm than good and i hope mayo players realise it.
still i suppose its a win but how dissappointing not to be tested after 2 games.