The Good News Thread

Started by The Real Laoislad, May 13, 2009, 11:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebandit

Seemingly he's buying the shopkeeper a camper van worth 40k.

Derry Dolly

would def have to hand it in..wouldnt want to but u couldnt have luck with stolen money..

AZOffaly

I'd hand it in too. You'd get nothing but bad cess for using someone else's luck.

On whether he'd have gotten away with it or not, of course he would have. It was a €4 quick pick that the customer left on the counter. Unless he's got photographic memory, assuming he even glanced at the ticket, he'd never have known it was 'his' numbers.

It wouldn't have been signed or anything like that, so there'd be no reason for the customer to challenge it, and the shopkeeper could have stayed schtum.

I'm glad he didn't, and I'm glad he's getting a bit of a reward, but I'm a bit uneasy about how the winner came to know that it was his dream to own a camper van.

Still, winners all around I'd say. A Good news story, but it's actually a bit sad that it's newsworthy at all, you'd like to think most people would do the right thing.

tyrone girl

Was reading in magazine at the wknd there that some english couple found a ticket for the daily play lotto or something like that and apparently she went to hand it back to the cashier who told her to keep it (cashier denies this).
Anyway they cashed it in for £30,000 and then the police were directed to their door and they were prosecuted for fraud. They had £15,000 of it spent and the remaining £15,000 is frozen in their account until end of september until the court hearing. Apparently the woman who lost it religously kept a note of her numbers and when they came up and she realised she had no ticket she contacted camelot and they worked from there.

AZOffaly

Quote from: tyrone girl on June 15, 2009, 09:47:44 AM
Was reading in magazine at the wknd there that some english couple found a ticket for the daily play lotto or something like that and apparently she went to hand it back to the cashier who told her to keep it (cashier denies this).
Anyway they cashed it in for £30,000 and then the police were directed to their door and they were prosecuted for fraud. They had £15,000 of it spent and the remaining £15,000 is frozen in their account until end of september until the court hearing. Apparently the woman who lost it religously kept a note of her numbers and when they came up and she realised she had no ticket she contacted camelot and they worked from there.

Aye, but that bit in bold is the difference. If I knew I bought a ticket, and knew my numbers, I'd be on to the shop as well, looking at CCTV etc.

But if I had a quickpick, and couldn't find it later on, I'd just assume I lost it, and wouldn't have a clue the numbers came up.

tyrone girl

Yep id be the same. They had big time financial worries and when they found a ticket for 30k suppose temptation got the better of them.

screenmachine

Lets be honest here, if you found a ticket that had any money on it, be it a tenner or ten million, I'd be laughin all the way to the bank/pub.  Finders keepers, losers weepers.  People say you might have bad luck, nonsense - you make your own luck in life!
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

ludermor

On a similar vein there was a polish lad working on our site and put an accumulator on the football a few months ago. He hadnt a clue what to do so one of the other lads went with him to the bookies to give him a handy. It was only a wee bet ( cant remember but something like a fiver) The bet came up and he won around 600k! He goes back to poland and buys himself and his family ( who are still living in poland) a swanky new house with a pool etc. He lands back to work and gives the guy who helped him 30k.
Incidently he said he had to leave leave poland cause the polish mafia were after him but i dont know if he brought the family with him. 

stpauls

i figure rather than starting a new thread i would resurrect this one, and let you all know i am going to be a dad for the first time in November!! it can't come quick enough!!

eggy bread

Quote from: stpauls on May 26, 2010, 10:42:03 AM
i figure rather than starting a new thread i would resurrect this one, and let you all know i am going to be a dad for the first time in November!! it can't come quick enough!!

You won't be saying that in December!  :D Seriously it is fantastic my third is 4 weeks old, the sleepless nights are worth it.

stpauls

Quote from: eggy bread on May 26, 2010, 10:44:16 AM

You won't be saying that in December!  :D Seriously it is fantastic my third is 4 weeks old, the sleepless nights are worth it.

so i've heard, but the brother in law had one in January and he said the exact same thing!!  ;D

Doogie Browser

My man!

brokencrossbar1

Ata boy, stpauls, if he/she ever needs tips of how to run around sloped gardens let me know ;)

stpauls

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 26, 2010, 11:56:37 AM
Ata boy, stpauls, if he/she ever needs tips of how to run around sloped gardens let me know ;)

i might do, the new house is being built on the side of a hill!!  :P

ziggysego

Congratulations stpauls :)
Testing Accessibility