Calling all Electricians

Started by balladmaker, May 12, 2009, 09:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

Having a serious amount of light bulbs blowing in the house lately, seems like I'm replacing at least 2 a week for the last few weeks.  Even brand new ones that have just been fitted are blowing within a day or two.  One blew the first time I was putting it on!

Just blew another one there now, thus the question.......could the supply in my house be subject to some kind of surge that is causing the bulbs to blow, any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

The Real Laoislad

Get onto your electricity supply company it sounds like you have too high a Voltage coming into your house...

You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Btw what type of bulbs are you talking about ordinary 100watt light bulbs or the downlight GU10 bulb?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

balladmaker

QuoteBtw what type of bulbs are you talking about ordinary 100watt light bulbs or the downlight GU10 bulb?

Thanks Laoislad.  I'm talking about the ordinary run of the mill bulbs, 100W, 60W, 40W that you would use around the house.

I've also had to replace two of the 5W fuses in the consumer unit over the past two months, the fuse for downstairs lighting.

mournerambler

I've replaced 4 GU10 bulbs which wern't that old in the last 2 weeks ???

The Real Laoislad

Sounds like high voltage so..Call your supply company and they will come out and take a reading of the incoming voltage.
Most houses are between 220 and 230volts,though I have measured it to be as high as 240volts.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: mournerambler on May 12, 2009, 10:21:38 PM
I've replaced 4 GU10 bulbs which wern't that old in the last 2 weeks ???

Couple of things to check.
Is there fibre glass insulation around the fitting? to check this pull down the spotlight and make sure there is none.
Also is there a room above the room the lights are in? I have found if there is a room above that the vibrations of some moving above can blow those types of bulbs on a regular basis.
And finally what make of GU10'S did you get? Philips or OSRAM are the best to get,some of the GU10's you get in B&Q and the like are a heap of dung
You'll Never Walk Alone.

maggie

LL- are you charging by the hour for these answers?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: balladmaker on May 12, 2009, 10:19:07 PM
QuoteBtw what type of bulbs are you talking about ordinary 100watt light bulbs or the downlight GU10 bulb?

Thanks Laoislad.  I'm talking about the ordinary run of the mill bulbs, 100W, 60W, 40W that you would use around the house.

I've also had to replace two of the 5W fuses in the consumer unit over the past two months, the fuse for downstairs lighting.

You mean 5amp? Sometimes when a bulb blows it will also blow a fuse.
You might have a short circuit somewhere either,you might be better getting a sparks in and having a look and getting him to do a few tests of the circuits.
I know a good one  ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: maggie on May 12, 2009, 10:29:19 PM

LL- are you charging by the hour for these answers?

Now there's a good idea.. :)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Craigyhill Terror

The lights in the extenstion went off last night. I've no idea why - it's not a fuse as every other light in the house is working and all the other electrical stuff (you can tell how lost I am by my grasp of the lingo) in the extension works fine.

Does anyone with more expertise than me (that means anyone) have any idea what might be the problem?

If you do, talk very slowly - I really am think as champ about this stuff

el_cuervo_fc

The lights in the extension will be in a different circuit to your sockets.  They would also probably be in a different circuit to the rest of the lights in the  house.  I'd say a fuse

Craigyhill Terror

Cheers for the reply.

The thing is, the only fuses in the fuse box - it's an old one - are for the lights, the sockets the water heater and the cooker.
All the sockets - including in the extension - go when the sockets fuse is out and once before i had to change the lights fuse because it went and that affected every light in the house - including the extension.

Denn Forever

How old is old?

Should you look into getting it upgraded and at the same time the whole electrics checked out?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 30, 2011, 11:53:17 AM
How old is old?

Should you look into getting it upgraded and at the same time the whole electrics checked out?

Old enough to not have a pile of circuit breakers - that's about as much as I can say.

Upgrading the whole electrics isn't an option right now - will probably need to at some stage - I just want to get the lights working in the kitchen and bathroom at the minute