Sam Maguire winning captains.

Started by rrhf, May 08, 2009, 12:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Just a wee question what is the individual roll of honor amongst captains who have lifted Sam?  Have we had guys who captained their county to 3 or more Sams
Im just wondering where Dooher stands on the all time list of greatest captains.

Dooher Brian:  2 captains medals / 1 team
O Sullivan Declan: 2 captains medals ?   
etc

Gnevin

No one has ever lifted Sam was captain more than twice

"Only eight men have had the honour of being presented with the trophy twice as captain. They are; Joe Barrett (Kerry), Jim Murray (Roscommon), J. J. O'Reilly (Cavan), Seán Flanagan (Mayo), Enda Colleran (Galway), Tony Hanahoe (Dublin) Declan O'Sullivan (Kerry) and Brian Dooher (Tyrone)."
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Spirit of 94

So who do think will lift it in 3005 rrhf?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Gnevin on May 08, 2009, 12:37:17 PM

"Only eight men have had the honour of being presented with the trophy twice as captain. They are; Joe Barrett (Kerry), Jim Murray (Roscommon), J. J. O'Reilly (Cavan), Seán Flanagan (Mayo), Enda Colleran (Galway), Tony Hanahoe (Dublin) Declan O'Sullivan (Kerry) and Brian Dooher (Tyrone)."

I don't think whether a man lifts Sam more than once is an indication of the 'all time greatest captains'. Great captains might play on less successful teams, or teams change captains based on championship results within the county.

If Declan O'Sullivan wins another championship with South Kerry, and becomes Kerry Captain on the back of it, is he a better captain if he lifts Sam 3 times, than any of the others mentioned? I don't think so, I just think he'd be a luckier/more successful Captain.

Onlooker

Sean Kennedy (Wexford) captained the All Ireland winning teams of 1915, 1916 and 1917.  That was before the Sam Maguire Cup was presented to the All Ireland Champions, but his achievement has never been equalled since then.

saffron sam2

"Tyrone man in Starting Windup Thread" shocker. :o
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

rrhf

Saffron sam your age has made you cynical - its eating you son.
Thanks guys I had heard the Wexford one before and whilst it wasnt sam it isnt diminished - (maybe a few of the opposition were at other things in 1916 ;))  My criteria for best captain in this instance has been number of times they captained their team to all ireland success.  I think that both O Sullivan and Dooher have been exceptional captains and leaders of their teams and deserve to be graded as top drawer captains and certainly ahead of guys who were good captains but raised feck all bar a pint in the pub after. 

Fear ón Srath Bán

Did not Kerry's Joe Barrett lift it 4 times, and Dublin's Tony Hanahoe lift it 3 times (the 3rd as player-manager)?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Azzurri

Ray Silke of Galway is well up there with the worst players to ever lift Sam

eireogatron

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 08, 2009, 03:28:48 PM

Did not Kerry's Joe Barrett lift it 4 times, and Dublin's Tony Hanahoe lift it 3 times (the 3rd as player-manager)?

nope. Hanahoe won 3 All Irelands, 74, 76 & 77, but in 74 he wasn't captain, that honour went to Sean Doherty.

rossie mad

hanahoe was manager in 77 as well as captain.very good player but very uncompromising.
he wud let you know what he thought of you gud or bad.

brian carthy from rte had a book a few years back interviewing all the captains who lifted sam from 1940 up tp 1991 i think.
very gud read and a must for all gaels.forget the name tho.i have it at home.

Brian is a gud ross man as well ;)

Rossfan

Pity about his commentating though   :'( :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

longrunsthefox

No one has lifted it three times but unlikely we'll be able to say that at the end of September. Tir Eoghain Abú

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Azzurri on May 08, 2009, 04:16:20 PM
Ray Silke of Galway is well up there with the worst players to ever lift Sam

I was waiting for someone to say that once I saw the thread title. ;D

Harold Disgracey

No one has lifted the Sam Maguire 3 times but 2 players have captained 3 AI winning football teams. John Kennedy (Dublin) 1891, 1892 & 1894; John (Sean Og) Kennedy (Wexford) 1915-1917.