Christy Ring 09

Started by stevecw, May 06, 2009, 12:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

Quote from: INDIANA on June 18, 2009, 11:13:00 AM
No playoff . Whoever wins the christy ring- goes straight up. Think thats fairer myself.

100% right. The funny thing is Westmeath drafted and proposed the motion at congress.

AZOffaly

Jaysus Westmeath. What the feck were ye thinking?

I'm happy about this, even though Offaly are probably one of the teams in danger. At least the Christy Ring has a real prize now, and the All Ireland isn't a closed shop. I would love to see Carlow win it, and give 2 fingers to the Leinster Council who allowed Galway and Antrim play in Leinster, while barring counties from our own fecking province.

By the way, I'm fine with the two newcomers, but not at the expense of the likes of Carlow, Westmeath, Meath and whoever else wants to play.

mckieran

Have Laois played christy ring at all in the last few years? It might do them good to have a year down there. They are a level below all teams in the Liam McCarthy at the moment

stevecw

Quote from: mckieran on June 18, 2009, 01:49:39 PM
Have Laois played christy ring at all in the last few years? It might do them good to have a year down there. They are a level below all teams in the Liam McCarthy at the moment

No they haven't played it at all. It probably would be best thing ever for Laois, and they might be there for longer than a year too. Westmeath, Mayo, Kerry and whoever loses final will be around Laois level.

I'm delighted with this decision. It makes sense, and makes the final an ever bigger game.
Was very unfair the way Carlow were treated last year, so now is our chance to put that right by beating Down.
Finally we will then be where we should have been this year, in the Leinster championship.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: INDIANA on June 18, 2009, 08:11:41 AM
I see in todays paper the relegation loser in the mc carthy cup is automatically relegated and the winner of the down v carlow game is promoted. Apparently the whole thing was mis-communicated and the change applies this year and not next year. Jesus wonder how westmeath feel now-because I know thye didn't bother their arse this year because there was suposedly no promotion.

:o :o :o What paper Indiana??? Sweet mother of f**king Jaysus...  >:(
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

heffo

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 18, 2009, 02:12:30 PM
I see in todays paper the relegation loser in the mc carthy cup is automatically relegated and the winner of the down v carlow game is promoted. Apparently the whole thing was mis-communicated and the change applies this year and not next year. Jesus wonder how westmeath feel now-because I know thye didn't bother their arse this year because there was suposedly no promotion.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaa-championships/hurling/ring-shocker-for-hurling-relegation-losers-1777575.html

Lecale2

Seems the final will be in Croke Park after all. Right decision. Triple header with Nicky Rachard and Lory Meagher finals.

http://www.gaa.ie/page/christy_ring_cup.html

slow corner back

Good the matches are in Croke Park, shame they are on a saturday, I just hope that whatever counties make it to the respective finals bring some fans along. Playing in Croke Park in front of 200 fans would not be a great advert for hurling

Gnevin

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 18, 2009, 02:12:30 PM

Only the GAA.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

stevecw

Quote from: Lecale2 on June 22, 2009, 04:59:55 PM
Seems the final will be in Croke Park after all. Right decision. Triple header with Nicky Rachard and Lory Meagher finals.

http://www.gaa.ie/page/christy_ring_cup.html

I dunno if thats really the right decision.
The attendence that day will be small enough and will be completely lost in Croker. Looks like London & South Down will be 2 of the teams involved in the other 2 finals on that day. They hardly have much support!!
Then again it gives a chance to play in Croke park to the players who never get to play there. So maybe for them its what they'd want.

But from a Carlow point of view, i though the final v Westmeath last year in Tullamore was great for atmosphere as we had a good crowd in a small enough venue.
I would have like to have seen it held in somewhere half way like Navan maybe, only this time put it on tv too.

I haven't heard any word on whether rte are showing these finals live this year.

Regardless of venue and tv its all about beating Down and getting to the top tier. Reckon looking at Saturdays Galway/Kilkenny match we are well ready to take teams like these out next year!!! (in my dreams!)  :o :o :o  ;D

downgirl

Does anyone know if it will be televised??  On either RTE or TG4?  Have to go to a wedding so no chance of making it down :(

Lecale2

Not on TV. You'll just have to cancell the wedding Downgirl!

Silky

The winners of the CR go up to Liam McCarthy next year right?  Well if Carlow win they will go into Leinster but what about Down if they win?

This game should have been played last Sunday before the LSHC Final.

stevecw

Quote from: Silky on July 08, 2009, 12:25:38 PM
The winners of the CR go up to Liam McCarthy next year right?  Well if Carlow win they will go into Leinster but what about Down if they win?

This game should have been played last Sunday before the LSHC Final.

I'd say whoever wins will go into Leinster. If Carlow win, well then we get there a year later than we should have been. If Down win, it looks like Antrim will be relegated from Liam McCarthy....so they can take the Ulster spot in Leinster!! :)

Should be a great final on Saturday, 2 evenly matched sides.
Have to ignore the 11 point win Carlow had in league as it seems Down have improved greatly since then.

Looking forward to it, and hopefully we can both bring good support to try create some kind of atmosphere in Croker!

neilthemac

congrats to Carlow

but this final should have been played before a quarter final or semi final of the McCarthy Cup