any unusual activites for simple mayo folk in new york

Started by rosnarun, May 05, 2009, 08:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rossie mad

Touche

was there in 05 for a week when we were out there.great championship atmosphere.when your walking down 5th avenue with a sore head in the morning and your meeting fellow rossies or in yer case fellow mayo comrades its a bit sentimental.ellis island is a must see believe me.stay away from empire state its over rated and time consuming.

night live is great but stay where recommended.get in contact with people you know out there.they will know all the good haunts.
Finally just cause a bar has an irish reference in its name doesnt mean its a great irish bar.alot of them spots are small and dingy holes where the usual customers are bums.so go to whats recommended.

Canalman

Walk the city top to bottom. On a personal level I always try and have a quiet beer in Hells Kitchen on the West Side ( not far from the Aircraft Carrier museum) in one of the Irish bars there. Another fave bar is one off Times Square run by Muhammed Ali's former cutman...... can't remember its name for now. A real "neighbourhood" bar with some collection of boxing memorabilia on the walls.

Give "Little Italy" a miss and try popping into the Jewish area of Brooklyn (near the bridge)...... a real eye opener.
Anyway, all the Mayo gang will all probably  drink in one of the "Mayo" bars iin the Bronx.
You lucky sod, enjoy.

Croí na hÉireann

If you're a fan of the Sopranos then the Sopranos tour is a must...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ludermor

Quote from: Rossfan on May 06, 2009, 03:13:58 PM
Quote from: ludermor on May 06, 2009, 09:39:34 AM
, we are sick of f**king rossies.

Ya left out the word sheep :-*

ok

we sheep are sick of f**king rossies

I always thought is was the other way round but you learn something new every day!

longrunsthefox

Go to the Bronx man and see the Yankees.  The D train will take you there 151st Street... God be with the days  :'(
The worst TV sport but actually is good craic and action live. maybe best to get someone along to explain all the rules if you don't know them.
LET"S GO YANKEES!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19pQPZK3dAE

passedit

Quote from: longrunsthefox on May 06, 2009, 03:51:46 PM
Go to the Bronx man and see the Yankees.  The D train will take you there 151st Street... God be with the days  :'(
The worst TV sport but actually is good craic and action live. maybe best to get someone along to explain all the rules if you don't know them.
LET"S GO YANKEES!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19pQPZK3dAE

Heading there for a wedding on the bank holiday weekend, anybody any idea on the best way to get tickets for the Yankees on a sat afternoon. Just tried their site and the cheapest are $900 a seat?
Don't Panic

longrunsthefox

That does not sound right at all... I used to get them outside ground-rite enuff that was before they linked up with Man Utd who probably taught them how to fleece 'customers' 

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Don't head into Harlem and ask, "what's the craíc?"  ;)
Tbc....

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: passedit on May 06, 2009, 04:27:45 PMHeading there for a wedding on the bank holiday weekend, anybody any idea on the best way to get tickets for the Yankees on a sat afternoon. Just tried their site and the cheapest are $900 a seat?

Stubhub is your better bet

http://www.stubhub.com/new-york-yankees-tickets/

take_yer_points

Quote from: rosnarun on May 06, 2009, 03:32:52 AM

ok i've got the big sites covered. anything with a little more Pizzaz? or a bit o umph or  whap
some suggestions i got was the coyote ugly bar, comedy cellar,Chelsea village

There's a revolving bar fairly high up in the Mariott hotel in Times Square that's worth a visit

passedit

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 06, 2009, 04:34:39 PM
Quote from: passedit on May 06, 2009, 04:27:45 PMHeading there for a wedding on the bank holiday weekend, anybody any idea on the best way to get tickets for the Yankees on a sat afternoon. Just tried their site and the cheapest are $900 a seat?

Stubhub is your better bet

http://www.stubhub.com/new-york-yankees-tickets/

Cheers
Don't Panic

highorlow

There is a great restaurant under Brooklyn Bridge called the river cafe. You could work up an appetite by taking the walkway over the bridge itself, its one of the best walks in New Yak.

After a feed you could do no worse than catch a show in the Spiegletent (if its still there) on south pier (you should be able to see it on your LHS crossing the Bridge).
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go