Disgraceful decision by the IFA, unfair on Donegal Celtic

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, May 05, 2009, 07:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: nifan on May 06, 2009, 11:35:30 AM
oops -  2,500

;D was thinking you made a mistake there nifan.

Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 06, 2009, 11:33:25 AM

GAA has form for it too. Derry vs. Donegal championship match fixed to coincide with a free state game in Japan / Korea.  6 people turn up for the Gaelic.

Remember that well Saffron Sam2, though I believe that there were a few more then 6 turned up, your points the same.
Tbc....

saffron sam2

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 06, 2009, 11:46:40 AM
oops -  2,500

;D was thinking you made a mistake there nifan.

Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 06, 2009, 11:33:25 AM

GAA has form for it too. Derry vs. Donegal championship match fixed to coincide with a free state game in Japan / Korea.  6 people turn up for the Gaelic.

Remember that well Saffron Sam2, though I believe that there were a few more then 6 turned up, your points the same.

I meant to include the words 'on time' in my post.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Main Street

MW

Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 06, 2009, 08:40:53 AM
For years Donegal (and Lurgan) Celtic tried to gain acceptance into the old B division. For years they were knocked back by the almost en-masse voting of the B division clubs (with the exceptions of the University, Polytechnic and RUC teams). Eventually both clubs threatened legal action and were admitted to the Irish league. However, in a surpirse change of format relegation was introduced into the second tier of the football pyramid, thereby allowing the possibility of these two teams being relegated back to where they came from.

Surprisingly DC made in into the top division and results on the pitch ensured they remained there. Next the IFA decide to reduce the top division from 16 to 12 teams (with no promotion back into the top level for three years). Halfway through the season they decide to change the 'points' system for eligibility. Whilst DC would have made the top twelve on footballing points obtained, they didn't achieve enough 'points' and were excluded. Subsequently, and with Portadown also down, the IFA changed the rules regarding promotion and relegation.

This season when it became clear that Bangor were in financial difficulties, despite a reasonably healthy league position, the rules appear to have been changed again. It should also be pointed out that the only two teams that could have gained promotion were Portadown and DC because of IFA licensing regulations.

Whilst we will have posters come on here and justify each and every one of the above decisions, it is easy to see why DC would consider that they are being unfairly treated.

I think D C have very little in reality to complain about with regards to this season, and indeed in my book have come off pretty poorly for chancing their arm with an appeal as well as giving a nod and a wink to a 'discrimination' shout.

The fact is that the IFA ruled way back in February that with Bangor dropping out of the Premiership, they would effectively take the 'automatic relegation' spot and the bottom team would go into the play-off instead. DC didn't say a peep at the time, instead waiting until a few days ago when they knew they had finished second and Bangor hadn't finished bottom.

That said, I'll happily welcome DC back to the top flight if (when) they win the tie on Friday.

MW

Quote from: T Fearon on May 06, 2009, 10:16:29 AM
Whole thing is a joke. How could it be anything else when the IFA is involved?. I have long been of the opinion that Cliftonville, DC Newry etc would fare much better in the Eircom League. I Hope both Donegal Celtic (Friday night) and Glasgow Celtic(Saturday lunch time) and indeed Cliftonville (Saturday afternoon) make it a wonderful 24 hours this weekend. Though Dungannon Swifts Manager Dixie Robinson is one of the biggest Glasgow Celtic fans on the planet (his auld fella has been a member of the Celtic supporters club in our area for decades and regularly saw the Lisbon Lions play).

According to the Irish News to-day there was a "pitifully low attendance" last night. Another brainwave to fix this this clash with a Champions League semi final ::)

Wonder will there be any "repercussions" at the IFA Cup Final (Cliftonville V Crusaders )on Saturday, kicking off  at 2.30pm (perhaps literally!!) as a result of the outcome of the Old Firm game in Glasgow which will finish at 2.15pm approx?

Tony, you're not a Cliftonville fan or indeed even someone they would want as a well-wisher.

ziggysego

oops -  2,500

Didn't even think there was 25,000 local soccer fans in the north ;)
Testing Accessibility

saffron sam2

Quote from: MW on May 06, 2009, 11:39:42 PM
For years Donegal (and Lurgan) Celtic tried to gain acceptance into the old B division. For years they were knocked back by the almost en-masse voting of the B division clubs (with the exceptions of the University, Polytechnic and RUC teams). Eventually both clubs threatened legal action and were admitted to the Irish league. However, in a surpirse change of format relegation was introduced into the second tier of the football pyramid, thereby allowing the possibility of these two teams being relegated back to where they came from.

Surprisingly DC made in into the top division and results on the pitch ensured they remained there. Next the IFA decide to reduce the top division from 16 to 12 teams (with no promotion back into the top level for three years). Halfway through the season they decide to change the 'points' system for eligibility. Whilst DC would have made the top twelve on footballing points obtained, they didn't achieve enough 'points' and were excluded. Subsequently, and with Portadown also down, the IFA changed the rules regarding promotion and relegation.

This season when it became clear that Bangor were in financial difficulties, despite a reasonably healthy league position, the rules appear to have been changed again. It should also be pointed out that the only two teams that could have gained promotion were Portadown and DC because of IFA licensing regulations.

Whilst we will have posters come on here and justify each and every one of the above decisions, it is easy to see why DC would consider that they are being unfairly treated.

I think D C have very little in reality to complain about with regards to this season, and indeed in my book have come off pretty poorly for chancing their arm with an appeal as well as giving a nod and a wink to a 'discrimination' shout.

The fact is that the IFA ruled way back in February that with Bangor dropping out of the Premiership, they would effectively take the 'automatic relegation' spot and the bottom team would go into the play-off instead. DC didn't say a peep at the time, instead waiting until a few days ago when they knew they had finished second and Bangor hadn't finished bottom.

That said, I'll happily welcome DC back to the top flight if (when) they win the tie on Friday.

You're only thinking of the handy six points that will mean for the Glens.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

slow corner back

Quote from: T Fearon on May 06, 2009, 11:11:15 AM
Indeed it does. As the average attendance of both clubs is about 200 each, I am guessing that those loyal fans all turned out last night. But in terms of attracting the fairweather fans and neutrals, it was a brainwave to fix this game to coincide with a Champions League semi final.

I used to work with a couple of Coleraine fans, last year at the Irish cup semi final DC only brought about 250-300 fans. Very poor support a decent club hurling team would have more

MW

Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 07, 2009, 10:20:27 AM
Quote from: MW on May 06, 2009, 11:39:42 PM

You're only thinking of the handy six points that will mean for the Glens.

Nine points ;) Actually DC took points off us last season and knocked us out of the Irish Cup so I wouldn't be too confident!

ONeill

Dgn won 1-0 and stayed up on the the away goals rule.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tyroneboi

Quote from: ONeill on May 08, 2009, 09:56:07 PM
Dgn won 1-0 and stayed up on the the away goals rule.

Great result for the local side.

Speaking of clubs being hard done by, I see the Swifts are being messed about by Derry City over payments owed for Niall McGinn. Could get nasty as it looks to be heading for the High Court.

milltown row

Crues should win this one also. there will be some wives getting punched tonight and on the peace lines there will be blood

fred the red

Quote from: hardstation on May 09, 2009, 02:27:04 PM
I Hope both Donegal Celtic (Friday night) and Glasgow Celtic(Saturday lunch time) and indeed Cliftonville (Saturday afternoon) make it a wonderful 24 hours this weekend.
Time to lump on the Crues I suppose.....

You really are a scudding b**tard, Fearon.

Does TF own/run a bookies?

ONeill

Quote from: hardstation on May 09, 2009, 02:27:04 PM
I Hope both Donegal Celtic (Friday night) and Glasgow Celtic(Saturday lunch time) and indeed Cliftonville (Saturday afternoon) make it a wonderful 24 hours this weekend.
Time to lump on the Crues I suppose.....

You really are a scudding b**tard, Fearon.

Clifts to lose. Spurs to lose. Credit Union goes bust. Fiona runs off with a Hill man.

Deadly.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

milltown row