USA

Started by Bainisteoir, May 05, 2009, 02:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bainisteoir

Heading To USA for the summer to work for a few months in San Diego and then travel around for the last month. Have brushed up on my knowledge on the California area and know the places I wanna go while there but don't really know where to head when travelling. Where do any of you guys recommend to visit while in the states based on previous experiences?

gawa316

Quote from: Bainisteoir on May 05, 2009, 02:06:41 PM
Heading To USA for the summer to work for a few months in San Diego and then travel around for the last month. Have brushed up on my knowledge on the California area and know the places I wanna go while there but don't really know where to head when travelling. Where do any of you guys recommend to visit while in the states based on previous experiences?

If you can afford it go across to Hawaii. It's about 5 hour flight depending on which island you go to. Easily the most stunning place I have ever been to. Also HWY 1 or at least San Fran down through Monteray, Santa Cruz, Carmel, Big Sur, Morro Bay and as far as Pismo beach. Beautiful drive

FL/MAYO

The Grand Canyon and its not that far from Calfornia.

longrunsthefox

If you can get to Yosmite Park... (pronounced Yo-semittee)  incredible...

offtheground

San Diego is a great city. Before you leave, get a wee rip over into Tijuana its a crazy spot and there's plenty to see and do there...  ;)as long as you keep your wits about you.  Take time to get a look at a local special 'The Burro Show'.....
If you keep to the 101 north out of S'Diego you'll hit some great spots on the way. I was out there for a a couple of summers during college, went up through LA, up to San Fran, then inland down to Las Vegas, mighty trip altogether.

thebigfella

Quote from: offtheground on May 05, 2009, 02:56:56 PM
San Diego is a great city. Before you leave, get a wee rip over into Tijuana its a crazy spot and there's plenty to see and do there...  ;)as long as you keep your wits about you.  Take time to get a look at a local special 'The Burro Show'.....
If you keep to the 101 north out of S'Diego you'll hit some great spots on the way. I was out there for a a couple of summers during college, went up through LA, up to San Fran, then inland down to Las Vegas, mighty trip altogether.

Aye get over to Tijuana and go to a place called Animal. Great spot on a friday night when all the under 21 college girls come across to get skull fcuked on booze. Like being in a girls gone wild video and the guy on the roof in a spiderman costume was a bonus too  :)

Mario

Dont be coming back with swine flu if you visit Tijuana

Karl Kennedy

Anyone any advice about the exchange rates? £1 will today get you $1.50 but it was $1.45 or thereabouts for a good while. I'm for US in a month or so and dunno when to change my money?? Will it go up much further do you think?

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Karl Kennedy on May 05, 2009, 03:39:55 PM
Anyone any advice about the exchange rates? £1 will today get you $1.50 but it was $1.45 or thereabouts for a good while. I'm for US in a month or so and dunno when to change my money?? Will it go up much further do you think?

You will find the U.S a lot cheaper than Ireland, I find Ireland a total rip off when I am back there.

Bainisteoir

Quote from: FL/MAYO on May 05, 2009, 04:23:18 PM

You will find the U.S a lot cheaper than Ireland, I find Ireland a total rip off when I am back there.

Yea good question, I dunno whether to buy them Now @ 1.50 or wait and hope they go up.. Is there any indication of a rise or fall from $1.50?

Also does anyone have any experience of internal flights? Cheap or expensive?

orangeman

Quote from: Bainisteoir on May 05, 2009, 05:38:28 PM

Yea good question, I dunno whether to buy them Now @ 1.50 or wait and hope they go up.. Is there any indication of a rise or fall from $1.50?Also does anyone have any experience of internal flights? Cheap or expensive?

A lot of people are asking that same question. Some say it might go level with sterling - others say that in the medium term it will rise to 1.70 - 1.75 mark and settle there.

But who knows ?.

tyronefan

route 1  from LA to San Fran   great drive and some great views up along the coast

Puckoon

Come to Reno, bring some tayto spring onion and ill put you up for the night.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Bainisteoir on May 05, 2009, 05:38:28 PM

Yea good question, I dunno whether to buy them Now @ 1.50 or wait and hope they go up.. Is there any indication of a rise or fall from $1.50?

Also does anyone have any experience of internal flights? Cheap or expensive?

Check out www.kayak.com for an idea on internal flight prices.

magickingdom

Quote from: longrunsthefox on May 05, 2009, 02:37:02 PM
If you can get to Yosmite Park... (pronounced Yo-semittee)  incredible...

dont miss it! 5 of the 10 highest waterfalls in the world, most beautiful valley on earth imo. if you check out the search here there was a good thread on things to do in california a while back. napa valley is another must and visit old faithful in calistoga while your there. you'll love california