The Last Waltz

Started by The Gs Man, May 02, 2009, 01:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Gs Man

This was in May!

QuoteThis is the chance to re-imagine one of the greatest rock films ever. The Last Waltz, was a farewell concert from The Band, recorded on Thanksgiving Day, 1976. The event was a checklist of roots, rock and Americana, including Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Van Morrison, Emmylou Harris, Muddy Waters, Ringo Starr, Ronnie Wood and Dr John.

It marked the demise of the original Band line-up, an emotional goodbye after 16 years on the road. Songs like The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, The Weight, and It Makes No Difference, still resonate across popular music.

The artists for this event will include: Captain Kennedy, Jackson Cage, Katie Richardson, Ten Gallon Hat, John Shelley and the Creatures, The BBCs Gerry Anderson and more names TBA.

For updates on the acts involved and the selected tracks, check www.ohyeahbelfast.com

Tickets Also Available From Belfast Welcome Centre on 028 9024 6609

Keep 'er lit

J70

Anyone going to impersonate Neil Young's performance with the chunk of cocaine hanging out of his nose? ;D
(Scorcese edited it out of the final film!)

If you're ever over stateside, Levon is still going strong up in Woodstock.

Shamrock Shore

Van the Man's kung fu kick still haunts me

muppet

Quote from: J70 on May 02, 2009, 04:52:00 AM
Anyone going to impersonate Neil Young's performance with the chunk of cocaine hanging out of his nose? ;D
(Scorcese edited it out of the final film!)

I've seen the nostril and the damage done.....
MWWSI 2017

The Gs Man

:D

We're doing Down South In New Orleans, Ophelia and Don't Do It.  Should be fun!
Keep 'er lit

J70

Quote from: The Gs Man on May 02, 2009, 02:23:46 PM
:D

We're doing Down South In New Orleans, Ophelia and Don't Do It.  Should be fun!

You have a horn section?!! :o

The Gs Man

:)  Nah, I wish. 

It's not an exact re-creation.  Its our own interpretation of the song.  Guest vocalists on "Don't Do It" as well.

They have sold so many tickets for this gig they are putting it on twice.......2pm at The Black Box, 8pm at The Oh Yeah Centre.
Keep 'er lit

The Gs Man

Didn't know Gerry Anderson played with Ronnie Hawkins!!   :o

QuotePress release

From: The Cathedral Quarter Arts Festival and The Oh Yeah Music Centre

By popular demand, there will be a second live performance of

'The Last Waltz Revisited' on Saturday 9th May

Tickets for the afternoon performance at 2pm have almost sold out.

A second performance will take place at the Oh Yeah Music Centre, Gordon St, 8pm.  Admission is £10.

Tickets/Booking Info: 90 246609 or online from www.cqaf.com

This gig will feature some outstanding performances. Radio Ulster's Gerry Anderson will be singing live, a track that was performed on 'The Last Waltz' film by his old bandleader, Ronnie Hawkins.

Gerry explains: "I played bass with Ronnie Hawkins and the Hawks for two years in the Seventies. I was known as the 'Irish Kid'. It was the best and most exciting band I ever played in. 'Who Do You Love' was one of the first songs I rehearsed with the Hawk who is still alive and well and disappointing women."

An earlier version of The Hawks, became Bob Dylan's backing group in 1965. The changed their name to The Band and recorded classics such as 'The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down', 'The Weight' and 'It Makes No Difference'. They made 'The Last Waltz' as a farewell concert on Thanksgiving Day, 1976. The event featured Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Van Morrison, Emmylou Harris, Ronnie Wood and Dr John.

The artists for this Belfast event will include: Captain Kennedy, Jackson Cage, Katie Richardson, Ten Gallon Hat, John Shelley And The Creatures, Cara Cowan, The Good Fight and Gerry Anderson.

For updates on the acts involved and the selected tracks, check www.ohyeahbelfast.com.
Keep 'er lit

gallsman

Main Street

That's a very good sound, well done.
The violin and the cleavage will do instead of the horn section.
It's the beards I miss, Those wimpy stubbles just don't meet the standard.

Good luck with the gig.

The Gs Man

Quote from: gallsman on August 31, 2009, 07:36:26 PM
Quote from: The Gs Man on August 31, 2009, 07:08:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWIN2qdSAmE

Some of the outcome!

Which one are you? Please don't say the "t**t in the hat"!

not the t**t in the hat.  he's a former Antrim Minor footballer......

Im the d**k with the guitar..  :-*

Oh, and Main Street, thats my sister you bollix.  >:(
Keep 'er lit

Main Street

;D
I went into the kitchen and just had a thought, I hope she's not his sister, she can't be his sister.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Main Street on August 31, 2009, 08:49:07 PM
;D
I went into the kitchen and just had a thought, I hope she's not his sister, she can't be his sister.
Watch the hits go thru the roof now. The best publicity he could ask for!