RTE Championship Coverage

Started by fred the red, April 29, 2009, 06:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred the red

RTÉ unveils live Championship coverage

RTÉ Television have announced a comprehensive package of up to 40 live games to be broadcast during this summer's Championships.

The national broadcasters coverage will begin on Sunday, 17 May when 'The Sunday Game Live' will show the Ulster SFC clash between Fermanagh and Down.

RTÉ will also show all the quarter-final, semi-final and final action from both the All-Ireland football and hurling Championships.

The showpiece Munster SHC and Ulster SFC will also be covered, as well as the eagerly-awaited clash between old rivals Dublin and Meath in the Leinster SFC.

Along with the live action, 'The Sunday Game' highlights show will return. The show's former presenter Pat Spillane will return to his old football pundit position, with Des Cahill taking the helm from 17 May.

Ger Loughnane will also be on hand to offer his analysis on the hurling action, after his two-year stint as Galway manager.

The country's obsession with Gaelic games was evidenced by the audiences of 709,000 and 703,000 that tuned in to watch last year's All-Ireland SHC and SFC finals respectively.

RTÉ will announce details of its radio and online coverage of the Championships on Friday, 8 May.

RTÉ SPORT LIVE GAA CHAMPIONSHIP FOOTBALL & HURLING FIXTURES 2009 ([H] for hurling)

17 May Fermanagh v Down, 3.30pm

24 May Derry v Monaghan, 2pm
Kildare v Offaly, 4pm

30 May Offaly v Wexford, 7pm [H]

31 May Tyrone v Armagh, 2pm
Tipperary v Cork, 4pm [H]

6 June Cavan v Fermanagh/Down, 7pm

7 June Meath v Dublin, 4pm

13 June Kildare/Offaly v Wexford, 7pm

14 June Longford/Wicklow v Westmeath, 2pm
Limerick v Waterford, 4pm [H]

20 June New York/Mayo v Leitrim/Roscommon, 5pm
Leinster SHC semi-final, 7pm

21 June Tyrone/Armagh v Derry/Monaghan, 2pm

27 June Donegal/Antrim v Cavan/Fermanagh/Down, 7pm

28 June Sligo v London/Galway, 2pm

4 July All-Ireland Qualifiers

11 July All-Ireland Qualifiers

12 July Munster SHC final, 4pm

18 July All-Ireland Qualifiers

19 July Ulster SHC, 2pm

25/26 July All-Ireland Qualifiers
All-Ireland SHC quarter-finals

1/2/3 August All-Ireland SFC quarter-finals

9 Aug All-Ireland SHC & MHC semi-finals

16 AugAll-Ireland SHC & MHC semi-finals

23 Aug All-Ireland SFC & MFC semi-finals

30 Aug All-Ireland SFC & MFC semi-finals

6 Sept All-Ireland SHC & MHC finals

20 Sept All-Ireland SFC & MFC finals

KIDDO 4

Farrandeelin

Yeah Kiddo, I thought the Connacht SFC final was on that day. ???
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 29, 2009, 06:41:09 PM
Yeah Kiddo, I thought the Connacht SFC final was on that day. ???
It'll be on TV3 I imagine. THatr's why there is a few sundatys with one game, such as our semi v Galway.

Why is the Mayo-Leitrim semi-final being played on Saturday,, do you know?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Thought that Setanta had the rights to the Saturday evening fixtures?
Tbc....

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 29, 2009, 06:57:00 PM
League. They got nada in the Championship deal. And given that like myself many people can't access it, that's proper order.

Rossfan

Quote from: Owenmoresider on April 29, 2009, 06:54:50 PM

Why is the Mayo-Leitrim semi-final being played on Saturday,, do you know?

Fcuk off ya WUM  :P
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Owenmoresider on April 29, 2009, 07:00:09 PM
League. They got nada in the Championship deal. And given that like myself many people can't access it, that's proper order.

Aye cannot get Setanta Ireland in the pub here in Belfast (Ireland) either.  :(
Tbc....

Archie Mitchell

You cant watch soccer matches on Setanta Ireland. They usually show a match on a saturday at 3pm which can't be viewed in the North, but can in the South. It's usually fine for the GAA games as nothing is blocked out. Think its something to do with the rights to show the Premiership as different deals done with the UK and Ireland and as we can view both, they block it out for us.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: hardstation on April 29, 2009, 10:26:27 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 29, 2009, 07:02:18 PM

I think, and don't quote me on this, that you cannot get Setanta Ireland for soccer games but the GAA games are alright. I have certainly watched GAA matches on it. I just turned over to Setanta Ireland and I am able to watch UFC.
There is something about soccer matches being shown at certain times. As far as I know, this isn't an issue with GAA matches.

Think it's more to do with Pubs not being able to subscribe to Setanta Ireland here in the wee six.
Tbc....

corn02

Plenty of Ulster fixtures in there!

mountainboii

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 30, 2009, 09:22:56 AM
Quote from: hardstation on April 29, 2009, 10:26:27 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 29, 2009, 07:02:18 PM

I think, and don't quote me on this, that you cannot get Setanta Ireland for soccer games but the GAA games are alright. I have certainly watched GAA matches on it. I just turned over to Setanta Ireland and I am able to watch UFC.
There is something about soccer matches being shown at certain times. As far as I know, this isn't an issue with GAA matches.

Think it's more to do with Pubs not being able to subscribe to Setanta Ireland here in the wee six.

You sure about that? I've seen Saturday night league games on Setanta Ireland in at least a couple of different bars up here.

Main Street

"audiences of 709,000 and 703,000 that tuned in to watch last year's All-Ireland SHC and SFC finals respectively".

Interesting that the Hurling final attracted more viewers than the very media friendly, well anticipated, Football Final.

armaghniac

QuoteInteresting that the Hurling final attracted more viewers than the very media friendly, well anticipated, Football Final.

Was the football also on BBC?

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tyrone Dreamer

Yeah pretty sure it was and I'm sure BBC got decent viewing figures for it in the North.