Discrimination against the GAA in the north - action request

Started by Donagh, April 29, 2009, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Jinxy on April 30, 2009, 08:57:02 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 30, 2009, 08:45:25 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on April 30, 2009, 01:10:21 PM
Racism? Were these GAA youngsters of a different race?

Lads its blatant discrimination. Racism? Maybe not if taking a literal definition but then doing that is just being pedantic. I won't set foot in tescos again, north or south, I can promise you that. The sad thing now is that there is no "out". If Tescos allow the kids back there will be a mob of loyalist scum outside beating their chests and god knows what they will do (we all know what they are capable of doing, even to kids). Will parents allow their kids to be subjected to this to make a point, to right a wrong? I doubt they would.

A black man walks into a bar and is refused a drink -thats racism. A catholic walks into a bar and is refused a drink - thats discrimination. The same crime has been committed and the same law has been broken. Arguing about whether its racism or not is irrelevant and pedantic. I'll say no more about it as we'll only end up moving away from the core issue.

It most certainly is not being pedantic.
They were treated differently to everyone else because they were wearing GAA regalia, not because of their race/ethnic background.
There's no need to muddy the waters here.
The incident is bad enough as it is without trying to manufacture a racism angle.

Jinxy

They weren't discriminated against because they were catholic.
They were discriminated against because they were wearing GAA apparel and Tesco breached their own rules by telling them to change.
You are aware that they were allowed back when they changed out of the club gear aren't you?
Your analogy of the black/catholic man being refused service in a bar because of his race/religion is a different issue altogether.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mournerambler

I contacted Croke Park today as the Ulster council offices were closed for staff training, Croke Park communications office said that they were unaware of the incident.
In fairness to the lad I spoke to in Croke Park he seemed totally genuine in his disgust at what happened & said that he would pass on a message to Ulster council, who I will be contacting again tomorrow.
Another point is that Down county board have a fairly valuable piece of land in Newcastle which will be going on the market in the very near future & Tesco are rumored to be one of the front runners for this land, I would hope that unless Tesco come out with a full public apology regarding what happened in Antrim, they should be told by Down county board to go & get stuffed.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: mournerambler on April 30, 2009, 10:31:26 PM
I contacted Croke Park today as the Ulster council offices were closed for staff training, Croke Park communications office said that they were unaware of the incident.
In fairness to the lad I spoke to in Croke Park he seemed totally genuine in his disgust at what happened & said that he would pass on a message to Ulster council, who I will be contacting again tomorrow.
Another point is that Down county board have a fairly valuable piece of land in Newcastle which will be going on the market in the very near future & Tesco are rumored to be one of the front runners for this land, I would hope that unless Tesco come out with a full public apology regarding what happened in Antrim, they should be told by Down county board to go & get stuffed.
You must live in a bubble.

mournerambler

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 30, 2009, 10:54:20 PM
Quote from: mournerambler on April 30, 2009, 10:31:26 PM
You must live in a bubble.
Would be better than living in Antrim town ;)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on April 30, 2009, 11:13:58 PM
The Centre of Excellence is fucked.
It isn't half. I don't even think it has been granted full planning permission yet. Even if it did get built it would need security like the White House.

T Fearon

According to lead story in to-days Gaelic Life Tesco are very contrite, said that their Duy Manager made a mistake, but it seems like the company will ban the wearing of all sports jersies in future (including soccer and rugby) "as it appears that regardless of the nature or allegiance of the club, it is possible that someone will take offence"

PRO of St Comghalls said that they had raised £2000 on the day in Tesco prior to the "complaints" and suggests that this proves that there was widespread support or "non offence"

Incidentally re the legal debate, surely in terms of any discriminatory case, the complainant(s) merely have to show that you they simply treated "less favourably" due to their perceived religious affiliation, nationality/race, disability, colour, sexual orientation, not that you were actually banned from collecting etc etc?

cornafean

Quote from: T Fearon on May 01, 2009, 09:48:51 AM
According to lead story in to-days Gaelic Life Tesco are very contrite, said that their Duy Manager made a mistake, but it seems like the company will ban the wearing of all sports jersies in future (including soccer and rugby) "as it appears that regardless of the nature or allegiance of the club, it is possible that someone will take offence"

I haven't contributed to this debate yet, preferring instead to let the matter take its course, but if Tesco's response is to institutionalise a ban on GAA jerseys in their store, then I'm afraid they have crossed a line that is far more serious than the previously isolated incident in Antrim, and one that the GAA, and its membership, simply cannot ignore.

How dare they label GAA clubs (and indeed soccer and rugby clubs) as undesirable and potentially offensive.

If this story is true, then I, for one, am finished with Tesco, north and south.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

DennistheMenace

I'm presuming they mean the banning of all sporting tops whilst collecting money for charity, not your normal weekly shop.

cornafean

Does that really make a difference? 

They are still labelling GAA, soccer and rugby clubs as undesirable and potentially offensive.

Will the ban operate north & south? If not, why?

DennistheMenace

Quote from: cornafean on May 01, 2009, 10:03:56 AM
Does that really make a difference? 

They are still labelling GAA, soccer and rugby clubs as undesirable and potentially offensive.

Will the ban operate north & south? If not, why?

Probably just in North I would think.

It's an obvious policy to take from Tesco's in the wake of this scenario, personally If you aren't allowed to wear one sporting top then you shouldn't be allowed to wear any so I've no issue with this at all.

T Fearon

I have a little sympathy for the Company here. In the six counties, even the most innocuous event, symbol, emblem can cause "offence". The Tesco Duty Manager was caught between a rock and a hard place. If customers (who are always right, in retail doctrine) are "complaining", then the manager has to take cognisance and address their "complaints". I really don't see any alternative for Tesco under the circumstances but to ban anything and everything that is liable to cause offence, even though it seems very petty.

Its just the way things are in this shithole up here.

I hope however that Tesco will also  ban poppy sellers this November, who are normally granted seats and a table at store entrances

full back

Quote from: cornafean on May 01, 2009, 10:03:56 AM

It is crystal clear that some people do find them offensive
Tesco had no other choice but to take this action, such is the mindset of the neanderthals up here ::)

cornafean

Quote from: T Fearon on May 01, 2009, 10:13:41 AM
If customers (who are always right, in retail doctrine) are "complaining", then the manager has to take cognisance and address their "complaints".

But customers are not always right. If someone walks into Tesco Customer Service and says that they object to ethnic minorities/foreign nationals/homosexuals/women/men manning the tills, I presume they will be told (politely) to take a running jump. Ditto, if they object to till assistants or bagpackers wearing jeans or tshirts. Why should this same principle not apply here?

There is an obvious alternative for Tesco - to declare that they have no problem accommodating events, symbols, emblems and jerseys of all voluntary sporting organisations. Live and let live.

DennistheMenace

Quote from: cornafean on May 01, 2009, 10:30:04 AM
There is an obvious alternative for Tesco - to declare that they have no problem accommodating events, symbols, emblems and jerseys of all voluntary sporting organisations. Live and let live.

And risk losing and upsetting a sizeable section of their regular customers ? Not the smartest strategy, they have imo took the correct decision.