Antrim lives up to its name as a sectarian cesspit

Started by Doogie Browser, April 29, 2009, 12:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katchit

Never understood why fully grown men wore football tops to pubs anyway.

ziggysego

Quote from: Katchit on April 30, 2009, 02:44:56 PM
Never understood why fully grown men wore football tops to pubs anyway.

I only wear it to the pub when my team is playing. Rest of the time, I don't bother.
Testing Accessibility

Main Street

Quote from: delboy on April 30, 2009, 02:00:03 PM
Thanks for the link, to use a sugarism what a load of old toot that article was.
So he was annoyed that people weren't tripping over themselves to speak to some poxy local sports journo and instead preferred to watch the action on the pitch.

Jerome wasn't annoyed, how could you possibly interpret annoyance.
He was just stating the obvious fact that if he was in Clones he would be doorstepped by GAA fans offering opinions.

As well, how could any idiot think he was trying to get a reaction with wearing his GAA shirt when by his own clear admission he hid it well.
What a level of idiocy exists with the recent recruits to the  OWC paranoia squad on duty these days

Roger

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 30, 2009, 02:34:15 PM
Quote from: Roger on April 30, 2009, 02:26:29 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 30, 2009, 02:12:39 PM
As for your point about GAA tops in Bars in Belshaft city centre, you'll find that most sports clothing is off limits in most pubs in the town,also GAA tops don't have the same baggage as six county soccer tops.
Around the time of the Jerome Quinn article there was a Camogie team (think it might have been QUB) players who sometimes drank in Hunters on the Lisburn Road which has always been a leading if not the main NI supporters meeting place.  They would be in their GAA gear on Wednesday late afternoons before games and the place was full of NI supporters.  Never saw any bother and no one had a problem either way.

Thanks for backing up that point. 
Kind of refutes that one and it appear you are right that on that particular occasion Camogie shirts didn't have the same baggage and were considered just a sports top ;)

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Roger on April 30, 2009, 03:13:55 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 30, 2009, 02:34:15 PM
As for your point about GAA tops in Bars in Belshaft city centre, you'll find that most sports clothing is off limits in most pubs in the town,also GAA tops don't have the same baggage as six county soccer tops.
Around the time of the Jerome Quinn article there was a Camogie team (think it might have been QUB) players who sometimes drank in Hunters on the Lisburn Road which has always been a leading if not the main NI supporters meeting place.  They would be in their GAA gear on Wednesday late afternoons before games and the place was full of NI supporters.  Never saw any bother and no one had a problem either way.

Thanks for backing up that point. 
Kind of refutes that one and it appear you are right that on that particular occasion Camogie shirts didn't have the same baggage and were considered just a sports top ;)

I didn't say all bars and I thought that we were talking about the city centre, which Hunters most definately isn't in.  ;) ;)
Tbc....

tyrone86

Quote from: Tonto on April 30, 2009, 01:28:03 PM
Quote from: tyrone86 on April 29, 2009, 11:54:27 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on April 29, 2009, 11:38:01 PM
Some valid points there, I would never wear a Tyrone jersey in places like Ballymena, Lisburn, Belfast City centre etc, but this was a 'bag packing' fundraiser. 

Let it not be forgotten about the hardship endured by 'Goals Will Come' after wearing a Tyrone jersey to a Northern Ireland game at Windsor  :-[
Do you mean Jerome Quinn?

What hardship?

I thought his main complaint was that no-one even ackowledged him?  It seems he wanted abuse but was treated just like everyone else.  Still, it's the spin that gets put on these things.

I may have imagine it, but wasn't he demoted within the pecking order of BBC sport at the expense of Steven Watson in close proximity to the writing of said article?

Minder

Some valid points there, I would never wear a Tyrone jersey in places like Ballymena, Lisburn, Belfast City centre etc, but this was a 'bag packing' fundraiser.

I have seen a fair few Gaa tops in Lisburn, and nobody was sporting a black eye.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Minder on April 30, 2009, 03:33:31 PM

I have seen a fair few Gaa tops in Lisburn, and nobody was sporting a black eye.
Body punches?

Minder

Quote from: Doogie Browser on April 30, 2009, 03:35:49 PM
Quote from: Minder on April 30, 2009, 03:33:31 PM

Body punches?

Mmm possibly, i will look closer the next time
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

stibhan

As for your point about GAA tops in Bars in Belshaft city centre, you'll find that most sports clothing is off limits in most pubs in the town, also GAA tops don't have the same baggage as six county soccer tops.

Excuse yourself. I have first hand experience of having death threats being made for wearing a GAA top on the Lisburn Road, and I can assure you that there aren't many people who would be willing to walk down Tate's Avenue with a Football top on short of them being offered a sizeable amount of money. Generally, wearing a GAA top on the Lisburn Road is likely to result in serious injury at particular times--the resident's mindset is that it's the sporting wing of the IRA.

Roger

Quote from: tyrone86 on April 30, 2009, 03:25:55 PM
Quote from: Tonto on April 30, 2009, 01:28:03 PM
Quote from: tyrone86 on April 29, 2009, 11:54:27 PM

Let it not be forgotten about the hardship endured by 'Goals Will Come' after wearing a Tyrone jersey to a Northern Ireland game at Windsor  :-[
Do you mean Jerome Quinn?

What hardship?

I thought his main complaint was that no-one even ackowledged him?  It seems he wanted abuse but was treated just like everyone else.  Still, it's the spin that gets put on these things.

I may have imagine it, but wasn't he demoted within the pecking order of BBC sport at the expense of Steven Watson in close proximity to the writing of said article?
His online column was definitely dropped.

DennistheMenace

Quote from: stibhan on April 30, 2009, 03:47:30 PM
As for your point about GAA tops in Bars in Belshaft city centre, you'll find that most sports clothing is off limits in most pubs in the town, also GAA tops don't have the same baggage as six county soccer tops.

Excuse yourself. I have first hand experience of having death threats being made for wearing a GAA top on the Lisburn Road, and I can assure you that there aren't many people who would be willing to walk down Tate's Avenue with a Football top on short of them being offered a sizeable amount of money. Generally, wearing a GAA top on the Lisburn Road is likely to result in serious injury at particular times--the resident's mindset is that it's the sporting wing of the IRA.

Slightly OTT there, considering I've walked up and down the Lisburn Road numerous times wearing a GAA jersey without any shred of intimidation or fear.

Tates avenue might be different but just last week I saw a few guys with hurls walking towards boucher road.

Roger

Well I can only say what I witnessed on more than one occasion.  Always seemed to be a Wednesday around tea time so college sports must have been just over as there were a load of kit bags all piled up around the window area.  No one said anything to them and the conversation about them had nothing to do with their association with Gaelic stuff.

The Lisburn Road would be fine imo, as you head down over the Tates bridge GAA tops wouldn't be advisable but then a Rangers top isn't really advisable in republican areas either.

stibhan

Quote from: Roger on April 30, 2009, 03:57:54 PM

Well I can only say what I witnessed on more than one occasion.  Always seemed to be a Wednesday around tea time so college sports must have been just over as there were a load of kit bags all piled up around the window area.  No one said anything to them and the conversation about them had nothing to do with their association with Gaelic stuff.

The Lisburn Road would be fine imo, as you head down over the Tates bridge GAA tops wouldn't be advisable but then a Rangers top isn't really advisable in republican areas either.

I think comparing Glasgow Rangers, who implemented a policy of no taigs for an obscene amount of time, with the GAA, is ludicrous. It may be your opinion that the Lisburn Road would be fine, and certainly some sections of it are. But it isn't all a safe place for Catholics to go to.

Roger

Quote from: stibhan on April 30, 2009, 04:07:24 PM
Quote from: Roger on April 30, 2009, 03:57:54 PM

I think comparing Glasgow Rangers, who implemented a policy of no taigs for an obscene amount of time, with the GAA, is ludicrous. It may be your opinion that the Lisburn Road would be fine, and certainly some sections of it are. But it isn't all a safe place for Catholics to go to.
It isn't just safe for them to go to the Lisburn Road, there's a whole pile of them actually live there.