GAA Hard men (all counties)

Started by Captain Scarlet, January 17, 2007, 03:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Scarlet

just seeing as this is on the non GAA board and the lads got a slatin for leavin it armagh only lets make it nationwide.
now these are the proper hardy hoors not sneaky dig merchants.

as a lilywhite in the early 90's we had the likes of davey datlon and sos who had little regard for their bodies when lining out for kildare. although still think big paddy o'donoghue was hard to beat. ive seen him turn lads literally upside down with a shoulder.

so nominate away lads
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Mayo4Sam

Rambo McHale, in the connaught club semi final in 89, marking junior mcmanus, the first thing mcmanus did was level him, rambo turned round and levelled him back, mcmanus said afterwards it was just a quietner and that he was the first lad that dared box him back
From what i can remember knockmore's hardest man
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

An Gaeilgoir

Peter Forde,Jimmy Browne and John Finn from Mayo were hardy men and before that my father reckons that the late John Morley( i hope i got his first name right) was as hard as he saw in forty years of Mayo football.

Timothy Leary

Paddy was the only hard man on that Johnstownbridge team......I got a belt of yer man Doran, the corner back, can't remember his name, the hoor nearly killed me, couldn't move for five minuted. The Rasher Farrell was no alter boy either.

Other hard men that I've seen, in Leinster:

Paddy McCormack Barry Coughlin.
Lyons Harnan McEntee Cassels.
Sean Doherty, Gay O'Driscoll, Mullins

Mayo4Sam

Mick Higgins was meant to be a hardy fcuker as well, size of him i'm not surprised
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

realredhandfan

Ill see your Mick Lyons and raise you a Peter Withnell.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Timothy Leary on January 17, 2007, 03:57:50 PM
Paddy was the only hard man on that Johnstownbridge team......I got a belt of yer man Doran, the corner back, can't remember his name, the hoor nearly killed me, couldn't move for five minuted. The Rasher Farrell was no alter boy either.

Other hard men that I've seen, in Leinster:

Paddy McCormack Barry Coughlin.
Lyons Harnan McEntee Cassels.
Sean Doherty, Gay O'Driscoll, Mullins

was that Dermot Doran?
or his older brother PJ (imo PJ was hardier)
Hardest of all the O'Donoghues was Paddy, but I would still think Phelim Farrell was tougher (Colm wasnt farr off it also).
I think davy Dalton put himself on the line alot - but was easy enough inj - which imo rules him out of being among the 'hardest'

Yer Man Pat Flynn from st. Kevins was a savage too (bernard flynns cousin - all the flynns were from clogherinkoe originally too I believe).
Cloghs Tom doodle Kelly was tough as nails.

Stories were that Ambrose oDonovan of Kerry was the hardiest amongst them in the Kerry golden years.

cavanmaniac

Cavan's nomination, of the current generation, would probably have to be Philip Smith of Crosserlough. He's about 40 now and may still be playing and is spoken of in reverential, if not somewhat fearful tones the length and breadth of the Breffni county.

Was as famous for his lack of skill (if he kicked a ball more than ten yeards it'd inevitably go somewhere ridiculous like over his head for example) as for his ability to ahem, busht up the play and throw himself about. Was called back into the county panel by Val Andrews a few years ago at the age of approx 35 to lend a bit of steel to that crop of niceguys. A reflection on the natural fitness Philip has always retained. He still has the natural physique of someone 15 years younger if not better. All muscle, hard as fook.

A damn fine amateur surgeon/dentist to boot, has removed many's a limb and tooth in the course of duty. This man is a tank.

Older Cavan folk speak fondly of Phil Gunner Brady being well able to handle himself, as were most of the guys on those teams of the 40s and 50, and 60s as well when we had equally good teams that matched the Down side of the era but never won the Sam.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: cavanmaniac on January 17, 2007, 04:38:55 PM
Cavan's nomination, of the current generation, would probably have to be Philip Smith of Crosserlough. He's about 40 now and may still be playing and is spoken of in reverential, if not somewhat fearful tones the length and breadth of the Breffni county.

Was as famous for his lack of skill (if he kicked a ball more than ten yeards it'd inevitably go somewhere ridiculous like over his head for example) as for his ability to ahem, busht up the play and throw himself about. Was called back into the county panel by Val Andrews a few years ago at the age of approx 35 to lend a bit of steel to that crop of niceguys. A reflection on the natural fitness Philip has always retained. He still has the natural physique of someone 15 years younger if not better. All muscle, hard as fook.

A damn fine amateur surgeon/dentist to boot, has removed many's a limb and tooth in the course of duty. This man is a tank.

Older Cavan folk speak fondly of Phil Gunner Brady being well able to handle himself, as were most of the guys on those teams of the 40s and 50, and 60s as well when we had equally good teams that matched the Down side of the era but never won the Sam.

..but the stories coming from Gowna way at least were the gunner was tough, but was more inclined to hit you a dirty slap than a manly face to face tussle

laughinpaddy

Brian mcGilligan of Derry or wee marty toye of the Maghery club in Armagh. another two maybe the Grimely twins Mark and john. And what about Brian Stynes and Brian Mullens(?) of Dublin and Tommy Dowd of Meath
I ain't gettin on no plane!

realredhandfan

Ill see your Grimleys and raise you a Harry mc Clure or Eugene Mc kenna - the very mention of either would make the Grimleys knees knock.

magpie seanie

I doubt if there is much or anythnig that would scare those Grimleys. I was working in a place they ate in one day and was afraid we'd run out of food and they'd eat me!

realredhandfan

I think it was Mark that hit Lynch at half time in the tunnel in 89.  Mc Kenna let him catch the ball at the start of the second half and ran through him,  He didnt want to know after.

lurganblue

QuoteTommy Dowd of Meath

this isnt the hard to look at thread is it?  :P

behind the wire

He who laughs last thinks the slowest