GAA Hard men (all counties)

Started by Captain Scarlet, January 17, 2007, 03:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: 5iveTimes on January 18, 2007, 11:41:11 PM
Coulter is not relevant to this thread as it is about so called hard men, and not about the more skilfull footballers ever to have played, like Benny and plenty of other Down and Armagh players as well, but as you brought it up, Down won an All-Ireland minor title in 1999, inspired by Benny Coulter, something Armagh never achieved at any level while the Grimleys were playing.
Just because my opinion on this matters differs to yours doesnt mean that I am wrong. This is a discussion forum. We are all entitled to our own opinions.

:D :D

Then why did you choose to denigrate the Grimleys' football ability on a thread about hard men!!  ::)

Benny Coulter was introduced by myself as a parallel to highlight how ludicrous some of your statements are, i.e. Armagh's lack of success in the Grimleys' era is somehow proof of their footballing ability!! Jesus wept!!

And by the way Boss - 'discussion' entitles me to comment on your opinion!  ;)

the green man

Is it true that the harps are so pre occupied with the Ogs, that they could'nt give a toss what else goes on?

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: the green man on January 18, 2007, 11:50:21 PM
Is it true that the harps are so pre occupied with the Ogs, that they could'nt give a toss what else goes on?

Yes.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: 5iveTimes on January 18, 2007, 11:53:39 PM
Sorry would you prefer if i`d lied and said the Grimleys were fantastic footballers who won numerous awards while playing with Armagh, Ulster and Ireland.

In a thread about hard men?!?! Why would you do that?  ???

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: 5iveTimes on January 19, 2007, 12:05:27 AM
As I stated earlier in the thread, I thought they were dirty players, not hard. There is a difference. The only thing hard about most people from Armagh (city) is that they are very hard to listen to.  ;)

I hear you!  ;D

I'm away to my bed!

screenmachine

Heard a few stories about a man that goes by of Barney Og from Moortown in Tyrone.

Apparently in Barney's Twilight years he was playing a Reserve Championship match for moortown against their fierce local rivals Ardboe.  The changing rooms was an old mobile separated by a stud wll down the centre.  Barney apparently got so psyched up before the match he proceeded to punch a hole in the stud wall, then stick his head through the hole and roar, "I'm gonna eat you's Ardboe b******s!"  :D :D

Another tale of Barney's antics was in his hayday, playing for Moortown, somebody boxed him off the ball and broke his jaw, but Barney being the man he is stayed on for five minutes, and apparently rearranged the man that hit him the next ball.  Barney then went down on one knee and signalled to the bench and went off to hospital a merry man.

I'll see if I can dig out any more stories from my sources.
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

SlimShady

screenmachine- Paul Hasson from your own club is a real hard man....

hard to fuckin listen to!!

screenmachine

now slim, no need to drag it through the gutter.  I was only spinnin a few yarns of yesteryear and you have to bring it to a whole new level, dissapointing. :P
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

wicklaman

"Red" Pat O'Byrne from Wicklow a pure beast went toe to toe with the Big Dipper in the compromise rules in the eighties and won!! a farmer with unbeleivable strenght would not have liked to run in to him!

ugliragman

OdoSkimodo

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: screenmachine on January 19, 2007, 10:52:03 AM
Heard a few stories about a man that goes by of Barney Og from Moortown in Tyrone.

Apparently in Barney's Twilight years he was playing a Reserve Championship match for moortown against their fierce local rivals Ardboe. The changing rooms was an old mobile separated by a stud wll down the centre. Barney apparently got so psyched up before the match he proceeded to punch a hole in the stud wall, then stick his head through the hole and roar, "I'm gonna eat you's Ardboe b******s!" :D :D

Another tale of Barney's antics was in his hayday, playing for Moortown, somebody boxed him off the ball and broke his jaw, but Barney being the man he is stayed on for five minutes, and apparently rearranged the man that hit him the next ball. Barney then went down on one knee and signalled to the bench and went off to hospital a merry man.

I'll see if I can dig out any more stories from my sources.

:D :D this sounds like the man ok! Seen him climb over the wire in Carrickmore one evening to get at a man in the crowd!! :o

Meath1

Quote from: cavanmaniac on January 17, 2007, 05:36:26 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 17, 2007, 04:41:40 PM

Another Cavan player of that generation told me too that possibly the filthiest footballer, in the sneaky sense, that he ever encountered on the pitch was a guy called Red Collier of Meath. Never heard much about this guy but some of the Meath lads might be able to fill us in...although I'd say the history in Meath might be told in a different light to that in Cavan! ;)

Red Collier was a St.Pat's man from Stamullen, a legend in his time....never though a meath man would be filthy, such accusations....... ;)

cavanmaniac

billy the kid

There was a fella from Ballinascreen by the name of Adrian McCoy ( although an import from Co.Down ) who was as hard a man as about.... i.e he would eat glass!
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!