Best Club Championship

Started by Oakleafer93, April 28, 2009, 11:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: The GAA on April 30, 2009, 01:40:30 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 30, 2009, 01:37:52 PM
This is silly talk, you cannot compare the Armagh championship to the other ones in Ulster.  Until one of the teams actually make the breakthrough then no one can say for definite that they are as good as teams coming out of Derry, Tyrone or any of the other counties.  It may be competitive to an extent, but lets face it we cruised the league last year with a shadow team who were training once a week till August.  The games in Armagh will always be tight as teams always raise their game and never mind the obvious ability we have the biggest compliment I can pay to our boys is that mentally they can still do it.  

Of the other championship Derry is very strong, Mayo and Galway, Dublin and despite Nemo dominating the winning of it the Cork Championship is of a very high level.  There would be 5-6 teams in Cork would give most championships a serious run.

Don't contradict yourself there..

The difference is that Nemo havce been beaten in the championship down here over the last 13 years, an have won at least once through the back door.  I am not saying that Armagh is not strong, but I can do a direct comparison and can categorically state that the Cork championship is of a higher standard.

Hearty broke his ankle the week before we played Burren and Jarlath took over in nets and kept his place for the rest of the season.  Hearty had played the Armagh championship before that.

eireogatron

Quote from: The GAA on April 30, 2009, 01:27:15 PM

I wasn't addressing you

i'm in total agreement with you then lol!

INDIANA

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 30, 2009, 01:45:49 PM
This is silly talk, you cannot compare the Armagh championship to the other ones in Ulster.  Until one of the teams actually make the breakthrough then no one can say for definite that they are as good as teams coming out of Derry, Tyrone or any of the other counties.  It may be competitive to an extent, but lets face it we cruised the league last year with a shadow team who were training once a week till August.  The games in Armagh will always be tight as teams always raise their game and never mind the obvious ability we have the biggest compliment I can pay to our boys is that mentally they can still do it.  

Of the other championship Derry is very strong, Mayo and Galway, Dublin and despite Nemo dominating the winning of it the Cork Championship is of a very high level.  There would be 5-6 teams in Cork would give most championships a serious run.

The difference is that Nemo havce been beaten in the championship down here over the last 13 years, an have won at least once through the back door.  I am not saying that Armagh is not strong, but I can do a direct comparison and can categorically state that the Cork championship is of a higher standard.

Hearty broke his ankle the week before we played Burren and Jarlath took over in nets and kept his place for the rest of the season.  Hearty had played the Armagh championship before that.

Wouldn't be so sure. Had the misfortune of living in Cork for 5 years. The Cork SFC is very mediocre. Wouldn't even be as good as Dublin. And Dublin's is only average when you strip out the mercenaries. Clubs like Clonakilty, Castlehaven etc have all gone downhill. Junior and intermediate is very strong though. Would be miles stronger than Armagh at those levels.
Daniel Goulding comes from a backwater junior club and so do a number of the cork u21 teams of late. Cross have the Armagh championship ruined- but thats not their fault-its up to the others to raise their game a bit. But its difficult when one club are miles tronger than the rest.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: INDIANA on April 30, 2009, 03:22:49 PM

Wouldn't be so sure. Had the misfortune of living in Cork for 5 years. The Cork SFC is very mediocre. Wouldn't even be as good as Dublin. And Dublin's is only average when you strip out the mercenaries. Clubs like Clonakilty, Castlehaven etc have all gone downhill. Junior and intermediate is very strong though. Would be miles stronger than Armagh at those levels.
Daniel Goulding comes from a backwater junior club and so do a number of the cork u21 teams of late. Cross have the Armagh championship ruined- but thats not their fault-its up to the others to raise their game a bit. But its difficult when one club are miles tronger than the rest.

I have lived here for nearly 4 years now.  While some clubs are on the way back, the like of Clon and Bantry, other clubs are rising.  The Haven will be hard to beat over the next few years as will Douglas, Ilen and Ballincollig.  If the Barrs got their act together they could be a force again.  The junior and Intermediate clubs are very strong, similar to Kerry in that respect.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 30, 2009, 03:54:38 PM

I have lived here for nearly 4 years now.  While some clubs are on the way back, the like of Clon and Bantry, other clubs are rising.  The Haven will be hard to beat over the next few years as will Douglas, Ilen and Ballincollig.  If the Barrs got their act together they could be a force again.  The junior and Intermediate clubs are very strong, similar to Kerry in that respect.
surely the piarsigh's with three huge o'hailpins would be decent too ?
Setanta will surely be home soon also !

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 30, 2009, 03:59:27 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 30, 2009, 03:54:38 PM

surely the piarsigh's with three huge o'hailpins would be decent too ?
Setanta will surely be home soon also !

And John Gardiner!  On their day they would beat anyone of the top teams but they are a hurling team playing football.  They have no real drive to make any big push.  If you add in the divisonal teams like Duhallow and Carbery and to a lesser extent Muskerry, Imokilly, Carrigdoun and the Universities then there is serious competition.

INDIANA

Can't agree mate. We'll have to agree to disagree but there's Nemo and then the rest from what I saw. I thought a lot of the divisionals were shocking poor for the pick they had. Corks new found strength is from the intermediate and junior segments. They don't seem to put the same effort into the divisional teams like Kerry do.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: INDIANA on April 30, 2009, 09:53:13 PM
Can't agree mate. We'll have to agree to disagree but there's Nemo and then the rest from what I saw. I thought a lot of the divisionals were shocking poor for the pick they had. Corks new found strength is from the intermediate and junior segments. They don't seem to put the same effort into the divisional teams like Kerry do.

I agree that Nemo are a step above but there is a new found emphasis on the football and the quality from the successful under 21's is starting to filter through.  The divisonal teams are also getting better, with Duhallow and Carbery as strong as any club team.  Duhallow in particular would give the best of them a good run and Crabery are actually favoured to win the whole lot this year.  bantry have dropped from senior and have brought a lot of quality to the set up.  The strength in the Intermediate level is also very high, with the likes of Glanmire and Carrigaline being major forces there.   When I first came down I thought the level was poor but it has increased dramatically as there is less confidence that the hurlers will bring success, and Counihan is highly respected.  John Cleary also has done great work at u 21 and the clubs are benefitting.

Bogball XV

Just a word on competitiveness in the derry championship, the reigning champions Ballinderry, and last year's finalists Slaughtneil have been beaten in their first round games by Lavey and Swatragh respectively (both lower division teams), how's that for competitive?
(Don't be expecting to see Oakleafer93 around for a while ;)

INDIANA

Kilmacud were beaten by Lucan on friday night in the first round. Beat that ;D

Bogball XV

Quote from: INDIANA on May 03, 2009, 09:23:12 PM
Kilmacud were beaten by Lucan on friday night in the first round. Beat that ;D
that's impressive alright, with all these shocks about, next thing we'll be hearing is that Cross have lost a league game in Armagh :D

Oakleafer93

Quote from: Bogball XV on May 03, 2009, 09:15:26 PM
Just a word on competitiveness in the derry championship, the reigning champions Ballinderry, and last year's finalists Slaughtneil have been beaten in their first round games by Lavey and Swatragh respectively (both lower division teams), how's that for competitive?
(Don't be expecting to see Oakleafer93 around for a while ;)

Working tonight so won't get to join in the festivities.. could this be the start of a whole new Lavey back to where we belong?! I HOPE SO!!

Also, oh can't wait for the backdoor draws.

nrico2006

So are Ballinderry and Slaughtneil out?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

orangeman

nrico2006

Hardly supports the 'competitive' argument then. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'