Best Club Championship

Started by Oakleafer93, April 28, 2009, 11:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katchit

Quote from: INDIANA on April 29, 2009, 11:16:50 AM
If derry is so good then why is that reflected at county level?

The fact that it's so competitive is a detriment to the county team which has already been emphasised previously.

And Derry are one considered in the top dozen county teams in the country, not that I really associate a stong club league with that of the county team.

loughshore lad

Quote from: INDIANA on April 29, 2009, 11:16:50 AM
If derry is so good then why is that reflected at county level? From what I've seen lads its good but its not that good. Balinderry are still a fair bit ahead of the rest year on year. The armagh county championship is not great- bar cross maybe dromintee or harps aren't bad. Forget the rest. Tyrone's is good - good even standard across 8-9 teams. kerry's is terrific -god even standard across 10 clubs- forget about divsionals.

Very good summary there IMO.  Perception of the Derry club scene by a lot of Derry folk mirrors that of the County team, its not as good as they think it is.

Katchit

I know it's 'only' the Ulster League and it's not a completely fair reflection but still useful in knowing that Derry teams won half the groups and came second in half the groups.

Group A
1st Ballinascreen
2nd Newbridge (Division 2)

Group B
1st Ballinderry
3rd Kilrea

Group C
2nd Bellaghy

Group E
1st Lavey (Division 2)
Glenuillin

Group F
2nd Loup
6th Greenlough (Division 3)

orangeman

Quote from: Katchit on April 29, 2009, 11:49:13 AM
I know it's 'only' the Ulster League and it's not a completely fair reflection but still useful in knowing that Derry teams won half the groups and came second in half the groups.

Group A
1st Ballinascreen

Group B
1st Ballinderry
3rd Kilrea

Group C
2nd Bellaghy

Group E
1st Lavey (Division 2)
Glenuillin

Group F
2nd Loup

You're right - it's only the Ulster league.

full back

I dont know why people are talking about county teams
A good club championship doesnt mean anything when it comes to the county team

Katchit

Quote from: orangeman on April 29, 2009, 12:19:26 PM
Quote from: Katchit on April 29, 2009, 11:49:13 AM

Group A
1st Ballinascreen

Group B
1st Ballinderry
3rd Kilrea

Group C
2nd Bellaghy

Group E
1st Lavey (Division 2)
Glenuillin

Group F
2nd Loup

You're right - it's only the Ulster league.

I know I'm right I don't need confirmation of it, thanks for your enlightening input.

seamusthebard

Quote from: SidelineKick on April 29, 2009, 09:48:21 AM
I think the variation in winners in the Derry championship makes it interesting.  In my opinion Ballinderry have the best team year in year out but the pattern over the past number of years is as follows:

2002 - Ballinderry
2003 - Loup
2004 - Slaughtneil
2005 - Bellaghy
2006 - Ballinderry
2007 - Glenullin
2008 - Ballinderry

I like the fact that there are a few teams that can win it even though on paper Ballinderry should be walking it!

Why startwith2002 Sideline
2000Bellaghy
2002 Ballinderry
2003 Loup
2004 Slaughtneil
2005 Bellaghy
2006Ballinderry
2007 Glenullin
2008 Ballinderry
can't see ballinderry winning it in 2009. Too many long termn injuries to key playewrs and they aren't allowed to win it two years in a riow!

cornerback

Quote from: seamusthebard on April 29, 2009, 01:14:44 PM
I think the variation in winners in the Derry championship makes it interesting.  In my opinion Ballinderry have the best team year in year out but the pattern over the past number of years is as follows:

2002 - Ballinderry
2003 - Loup
2004 - Slaughtneil
2005 - Bellaghy
2006 - Ballinderry
2007 - Glenullin
2008 - Ballinderry

I like the fact that there are a few teams that can win it even though on paper Ballinderry should be walking it!

2000Bellaghy
2002 Ballinderry
2003 Loup
2004 Slaughtneil
2005 Bellaghy
2006Ballinderry
2007 Glenullin
2008 Ballinderry
can't see ballinderry winning it in 2009. Too many long termn injuries to key playewrs and they aren't allowed to win it two years in a riow!

i'm actually surprised he didn't just start at 2003!  Is the omission of 2001 just to prove your two in a row theory?

SidelineKick

2002 - Ballinderry
2003 - Loup
2004 - Slaughtneil
2005 - Bellaghy
2006 - Ballinderry
2007 - Glenullin
2008 - Ballinderry

2000Bellaghy
2002 Ballinderry
2003 Loup
2004 Slaughtneil
2005 Bellaghy
2006Ballinderry
2007 Glenullin
2008 Ballinderry

Why start with 2000? And skip 2001 ??? I just took it from the top of my head.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

SidelineKick

Quote from: cornerback on April 29, 2009, 01:47:48 PM

2002 - Ballinderry
2003 - Loup
2004 - Slaughtneil
2005 - Bellaghy
2006 - Ballinderry
2007 - Glenullin
2008 - Ballinderry

2000Bellaghy
2002 Ballinderry
2003 Loup
2004 Slaughtneil
2005 Bellaghy
2006Ballinderry
2007 Glenullin
2008 Ballinderry

i'm actually surprised he didn't just start at 2003!   Is the omission of 2001 just to prove your two in a row theory?

Well we couldnt start the whole way back at 1973 could we?  ;)
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Bogball XV

In the Ulster club, ove the past 20 years there have been 5 different winners from Derry (a total of 7 titles), 2 different clubs from Armagh (8 titles) and Monaghan (2 titles) and one winner each from Tyrone (2 titles) and Antrim.
Thus Derry would appear to have the most competitive championship in Ulster.

When it comes to the strongest overall, Mayo, Dublin and Galway would be worthy contenders, but the one I would most like to see being played off is the Kerry county championship - from all I hear about it, a Kerry SFC medal is second only to an All Ireland SFC medal (and after they've won a few of them, probably more precious).

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Bogball XV on April 29, 2009, 02:51:18 PM
In the Ulster club, ove the past 20 years there have been 5 different winners from Derry (a total of 7 titles), 2 different clubs from Armagh (8 titles) and Monaghan (2 titles) and one winner each from Tyrone (2 titles) and Antrim.

When it comes to the strongest overall, Mayo, Dublin and Galway would be worthy contenders, but the one I would most like to see being played off is the Kerry county championship - from all I hear about it, a Kerry SFC medal is second only to an All Ireland SFC medal (and after they've won a few of them, probably more precious).

The mayo championship is fairly competetive as Abbeysider said you would have Ballina, Ballaghadreen , Knockmore , Charlestown , Crossmolina and some up and coming teams like Breaffy for e.g.  In our championship this year in our Group there is Knockmore, Ballina and Crossmolina between them these teams have competed in 5 Ai club finals since 1999 and all clubs are within 7 miles of each other.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

cornerback

Quote from: SidelineKick on April 29, 2009, 02:38:16 PM
Well we couldnt start the whole way back at 1973 could we?  ;)

touché  :D

GalwayBayBoy

In Connacht both Galway and Mayo have pretty strong club championships as witnessed by the fact that 5 different clubs have won the club All-Ireland since 1998. Corofin, Caltra and Salthill from Galway along with Ballina and Crossmolina from Mayo.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: the Deel Rover on April 29, 2009, 03:04:47 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on April 29, 2009, 02:51:18 PM

The mayo championship is fairly competetive as Abbeysider said you would have Ballina, Ballaghadreen , Knockmore , Charlestown , Crossmolina and some up and coming teams like Breaffy for e.g.  In our championship this year in our Group there is Knockmore, Ballina and Crossmolina between them these teams have competed in 5 Ai club finals since 1999 and all clubs are within 7 miles of each other.

You declined to mention Knockmore's fall from grace. Knockmore also 'contested' an AI club final in 1997.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.