Stevie Mc Donnell has a go at Armagh supporters

Started by rrhf, April 28, 2009, 11:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

In the Irish news today Stevie mac staunchly fights his corner claiming that its going to take a good team to beat Armagh this year and defends his manager and team herociacally against the naymen and sooth sayers.  Its a fair move by Mc Donnell and in general is probably needed, having read many of the Armagh commenteers on here that the sky is falling in and the camp is fragmenting.  Does it reassure the Armagh fans on here or is it simply corrective PR.   

orangeman

Quote from: rrhf on April 28, 2009, 11:05:00 AM
In the Irish news today Stevie mac staunchly fights his corner claiming that its going to take a good team to beat Armagh this year and defends his manager and team herociacally against the naymen and sooth sayers.  Its a fair move by Mc Donnell and in general is probably needed, having read many of the Armagh commenteers on here that the sky is falling in and the camp is fragmenting.  Does it reassure the Armagh fans on here or is it simply corrective PR.   

The fact that he needed to so clearly address the "issues" are prbably a good enough indicator that all isn't going brilliantly. Did supporters not have a go at Mc Donnell last year when he suffered a wee dip in his otherwise good form ?

thebandit

Quote from: orangeman on April 28, 2009, 11:11:56 AM
Quote from: rrhf on April 28, 2009, 11:05:00 AM

The fact that he needed to so clearly address the "issues" are prbably a good enough indicator that all isn't going brilliantly. Did supporters not have a go at Mc Donnell last year when he suffered a wee dip in his otherwise good form ?

I think Stevie came out and backed him then as well.

Hank Everlast

naka

didn`t see his comments a s an attack on the supporters, I saw it more as a rallying call
what we need to see is the panel and who is in it as i wouldnt really fret over any of the guys who have left for reasons beyond retirement 

armaghniac

QuoteThe fact that he needed to so clearly address the "issues" are prbably a good enough indicator that all isn't going brilliantly.

More likely he heard of shíte circulating in pubs which has nothing to do with the actual state of affairs. If the team feel that they have something to prove then well and good.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

Funny, I read this this morning and didn't feel anyone was having a go at me. Read as if an expereinced player was simply trying to reassure all and sundry that his team has a lot to offer still and that he wouldn't be involved if he thought otherwise

under the bar

It could be interpreted as thinly-veiled threat to point at the number on the back of his jersey again when he scores....

The Iceman

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

full back

Minder

Quote from: The Iceman on April 28, 2009, 01:43:40 PM
can anyone post the article?

STEVIE McDonnell has rejected the notion that Armagh are a declining force – and insisted the Orchardmen have all the ingredients to be a success in 2009.

Paul McGrane, Francie Bellew and Paddy McKeever announced their inter-county retirements recently, while several fringe players opted out of the Armagh squad last week.

However, the 2002 All-Ireland winner and former Allstar was emphatic in his belief that the raw materials still exist in Peter McDonnell's squad for another successful summer, despite a disappointing NFL campaign.

"We have lost a few experienced players, but we've also a lot of guys at the age of 25 which is a good age for county football," said the 29-year-old ace.

"I wouldn't be disheartened at all. I honestly believe it will take a top team to beat us this year, but we have to peak for every match and not dip after a good performance."

McDonnell (below) added: "Put it this way: if I didn't feel that Armagh were capable of being successful this year I would not be there. If we got to an All-Ireland final and I thought we were going to lose, I wouldn't be there.

"I'm not into wasting a year of my life just to make up the numbers in the Championship. Now, we've a lot of work to do over the next few weeks, but I'd be confident about the year ahead."

Fringe players JP Donnelly, Michael O'Rourke, Neil O'Rourke, Conor Clarke and Eugene McDonnell recently opted out of the Armagh panel, but the team's vice-captain explained: "People have this perception that there are fall-outs in Armagh because a few boys have opted out of the panel.

"With club football starting up in Armagh again, those boys want to get some competitive football under their belts and build their confidence. It's that simple. The door is closed on none of those players – and I'm sure Peter [McDonnell] would back me up on that.

"Peter Donnelly, who would get on most teams in the country, can't get in the Tyrone team at the minute and is considering leaving. These things happen in squads, but it doesn't mean there have been fall-outs or that things are going badly.

"At the end of the day, people can think whatever they want. There are always going to be rumours. It's not the first time and it won't be the last, but I'd urge people not to believe everything they hear."

In the last decade, Armagh have been written off almost on an annual basis, but it's not something the Killeavy clubman is concerned about.

The Ulster champions are rated at 25/1 to win this year's All-Ireland crown, while Derry, Cork, Dublin, Mayo and Galway are just some of the counties ranked above them in the betting stakes.

The Orchard county open the defence of their provincial crown against All-Ireland champions Tyrone at Clones on May 31.

"We've always been written off, even in 2002 when we won the All-Ireland," smiled McDonnell.

"Even some of my mates are doubting Armagh's credentials, but people are entitled to their opinion. The most important people are the 30 to 35 players and management team and what goes on inside the group."

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

rrhf

The only guys who are doubting Armaghs ability and prowess are Armagh supporters in the tyrone armagh thread.   Stevie is talking to these type of  guys I believe, "having a go" could be one interpretation of this, rallying cry could be another.  I personally think it shows great leadership. 

pintsofguinness

Quote from: full back on April 28, 2009, 02:00:24 PM
Tyrone supporters in sh1t talking shocker :o

you mean rrhf in shit talking shocker   ::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

paddypastit

Total outsider here but I don't see anybody having a go at anybody here. It reads very straightforwardly as an attempt by McDonnell to convince himself and those 'important people' that he refers to at the end of the atrticle and that is a legitimate and reasonable thing to do. in six weeks time it will either be seen as a 'desperate attempt' or an 'inspired rallying call'  The key thing is that he himself has put himself out front and has to deliver...
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

mountainboii

Like others I didn't see it as much of an attack on anyone. Personally, I was quite heartened by how bullish he was about our chances this year. It may well come to pass that he was overly optimistic, but its good to know that there are still members of the panel that believe we are capable of going places.