Anybody good at maths??

Started by downgirl, April 27, 2009, 05:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downgirl

Where would we be without O'Neill!!  :D

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: downgirl on April 27, 2009, 05:21:08 PM
Ok it is chemistry based but it is analytical so I'm hoping someone who is good at maths can help me out...I have a sample answer for it but I don't know where the figures are coming from...

This is the question:
1g of a sample of iron ore was dissolved in H2SO4 in a titration vessel yielding Fe2+. This solution was titrated using 0.1M KMnO4.

The analysis was repeated five times with the following titration volumes:
5.0, 4.8, 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3ml.

Calculate the average iron ore content in the ore as a mass percentage.

Aw(Fe) = 55.84 gmol-1

Then basically it works out as
MnO4- : Fe2+
1:5

then it has written down
5n (MnO4-) = n Fe2+

Ans x(%)Fe = 2.794 ml V  KMnO4

How do you work out the 2.794 part?????

DG,

the 2.794 ml is the volume part of the answer, do you have all the right data?

Try www.mychemistrytutor.com
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

gerrykeegan

Shane there is at least two school boy errors there. I am not going to waste my time pointing them out to you.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Puckoon

Where did you get the above information from?

downgirl

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on April 27, 2009, 08:15:50 PM
Quote from: downgirl on April 27, 2009, 05:21:08 PM
Ok it is chemistry based but it is analytical so I'm hoping someone who is good at maths can help me out...I have a sample answer for it but I don't know where the figures are coming from...

This is the question:
1g of a sample of iron ore was dissolved in H2SO4 in a titration vessel yielding Fe2+. This solution was titrated using 0.1M KMnO4.

The analysis was repeated five times with the following titration volumes:
5.0, 4.8, 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3ml.

Calculate the average iron ore content in the ore as a mass percentage.

Aw(Fe) = 55.84 gmol-1

then it has written down
5n (MnO4-) = n Fe2+

Ans x(%)Fe = 2.794 ml V  KMnO4

How do you work out the 2.794 part?????

DG,

the 2.794 ml is the volume part of the answer, do you have all the right data?

Try www.mychemistrytutor.com

Thanks for the link DH gonna give it a try now...the question is exactly as I have put it up, I don't think I have enough info to answer it as I don't have the molarity of the iron solution...

Tony is hopefully gonna get me sorted out...I could kiss him!!

downgirl

Quote from: Puckoon on April 27, 2009, 08:49:16 PM

Where did you get the above information from?

equation for the rxn

MnO4-  +  5Fe2+  +  8H+  -->  Mn2+  +  5Fe3+  + 4H20

1       :     5

Minus15

surely tony wouldn't be that brave

illdecide

f**k off illdecide how is it showing off when I can't do the bloody thing
[/quote]

No need to be rude now i was only busting your chaps
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

cville

The problem stated is simple and has nothing inherent that can be perceived as difficult. The fact is that H2SO4 is sulphuric acid thus it will react as determined by the equation. However, what should be borne in mind is that anyone who sat on their pc and tried to determine the answer to this really has only two options at stake - Chemistry and Masturbation. So. if you have been engrossed by the equation - you really need to get a girlfriend. To put it in terms of Physics - you have a tendency to indulge in rapid friction accumulation that will result in an emission over the digits! Horses for Courses! :P

muppet

Quote from: cville on April 27, 2009, 11:15:31 PM
The problem stated is simple and has nothing inherent that can be perceived as difficult. The fact is that H2SO4 is sulphuric acid thus it will react as determined by the equation. However, what should be borne in mind is that anyone who sat on their pc and tried to determine the answer to this really has only two options at stake - Chemistry and Masturbation. So. if you have been engrossed by the equation - you really need to get a girlfriend. To put it in terms of Physics - you have a tendency to indulge in rapid friction accumulation that will result in an emission over the digits! Horses for Courses! :P

Wonderful analytical powers there cville. Did you notice the 'girl' part of the name Downgirl?
MWWSI 2017