Doire v Mhuineacháin 24/5/09

Started by Oakleafer93, April 27, 2009, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

I think this proved that some inter county teams would sell out their own mothers to further their cause. Mullan's ban reduction is beyond belief. That is one of the worst incidents I've seen in a Gaa pitch. There is no honour among Gaa teams anymore. Good message for all the young players who watch our games.

Will Hunting

Quote from: Bensars on June 11, 2009, 10:47:32 AM
Quote from: Will Hunting on June 03, 2009, 03:38:50 PM
Quote from: tyronefan on June 03, 2009, 03:11:48 PM
Quote from: screenexile on June 03, 2009, 02:37:39 PM
Sunday game showed a clear head butt to Kevin McGuckin and in fairness McGuckin didn't go down like some players have but there was clear as day. Clerkin deserves a ban for his knee also. I'm glad Derry are accepting Mullan's punishment and only seeking to get Doherty's ban reduced. Unlike some Counties who will appeal anything and everything no matter what the player has done wrong!

McGuckin didn't go down because he wasn't touched.

Are you Derry wans not fed up yet pleading the innocent victims because everybody else is fed up listening to ye

Stay out of the Derry v Monaghan thread then.

Have to agree with screenexile on this one - good to see that Derry aren't taking this to the DRA, High Courts etc. Other county's have totally exhausted this process at every turn around instead of accepting their medicine.

I'm still not quite sure how Mullan got eight weeks when a similar incident earlier in the year only warranted a four week ban. Which was appealed of course, in keeping with the form expected from that particular county. :D :D :D :D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, like I said, Derry have accepted their medicine... they are just ensuring that they have been administered the correct dosage. Fair play to them.

Unlike Monaghan who actually wanted Freeman's ban totally quashed (or Tyrone who wanted McGuigan's 4-week ban quashed).

Keyser soze

Glad to see this, a fair sentence. Some of the reaction here [even from some Derry posters i might add] is obviously more a result of the hyperbole on TV rather than what actually happened.  GNevin's  'for God's sake would somebody please think of the children' shows just how far some people have lost the run of themselves.

If this is the worst thing thing, or one of the worst things, you've ever seen on a football pitch you obviously haven't played or indeed watched much football.

On the other hand, it IS one of the worst things I've ever saw on the Sunday Game!

bingobus

Mullans ban halved is without doubt the biggest joke the GAA has managed in a long long time.

If thats discipline, its no wonder players/managers carry on without any respect to the rules.

After seeing the GAA at work this week its very easy to lose interest or respect for it.

Keyser soze

Sorry GNevin.

That should've been Indiana i misquoted in my previous post. :D

tbrick18

Quote from: tyronefan on June 11, 2009, 11:02:02 AM
Monaghan is going to be pissed off as Tommy Freeman's 8 weeks was upheld and these 2 are reduced

I can only assume that the ban for headbutting is greater than that for kicking or kneeing. IMO a headbut it more dangerous than a kick or a knee, but I dont know what the rules state about it.
I can see why both Docs and Mullans ban were reduced, particularly docs as the kick would never have caused any damage....4 weeks and missing a game seems fair. Mullan prob got his reduced due to the similar incidents earlier this year where a 4 week ban was given...so while I wouldnt go as far as saying it is fair, it is understandable.

tbrick18

Quote from: bingobus on June 11, 2009, 11:38:09 AM
Mullans ban halved is without doubt the biggest joke the GAA has managed in a long long time.

If thats discipline, its no wonder players/managers carry on without any respect to the rules.

After seeing the GAA at work this week its very easy to lose interest or respect for it.

Afraid you are wrong here....the biggest joke is that Dick Clerkin didnt get any kind of reprimand for his bahaviour that day.

Bensars

The most famous inbred of the lot of you would find difficulty defending this reversal.

SidelineKick

Quote from: bingobus on June 11, 2009, 11:38:09 AM

Or is it giving Tommy McGuigan 4 weeks in the first place??

One of these is wrong I certainly agree, I would probably say that Tommy should have got 8 weeks, and so should Mullan.

But if Tommy only got 4 weeks for the same action (regardless of force) then why should Mullan accept a longer ban?
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

SidelineKick

Quote from: Bensars on June 11, 2009, 11:49:44 AM
The most famous inbred of the lot of you would find difficulty defending this reversal.

What do Tyrone and Peter Canavan have to do with it  ???
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Will Hunting

Quote from: Bensars on June 11, 2009, 11:49:44 AM

What reversal are you talking about????

I may have missed it, but was one of the bans rescinded??

Main Street

Quote from: JMohan on June 11, 2009, 05:29:55 AM
So now it's Saint Tommy is it? You pair mustn't have ever seen him play club football - he's far from an angel and if you saw any club football in Monaghan you'd know better than to start that ... as for Connolly spouting off he should also have known better.

The flexible survival methods and retributions taken on the savage killing fields of Monaghan club competition have nowt to do with this system.
Tomás has no previous form in relation to red cards and disciplinary punishments on the County level.
In the GAA's disciplinary guidelines that makes this (virtual) headbutt his first offense.

As I recall,  2 months is the correct punishment for a first offender found guilty of headbutting.
Connolly was accurate with Tommy's record but displayed a lack of awareness of the punishment system.

By applying consistancy,  Fergal should have got 12 weeks and Mullans unchanged.

I have to admit, when faced with the incompetents that adjudicate such matters in the GAA, the sureal Brolly defense finds a welcome.

Maguire01

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 11, 2009, 11:42:41 AM
[I can only assume that the ban for headbutting is greater than that for kicking or kneeing. IMO a headbut it more dangerous than a kick or a knee, but I dont know what the rules state about it.
Now before I start, i'll just clarify that i'm not defending Tommy's actions.
His incident had intent, yes, but it was hardly a savage attack - it barely connected. I don't see how that can be more dangerous that Mullan's knee to the balls, which clearly did connect.

Personally i think all attempts to strike/knee a man in the groin should be met with a standard six-month suspension - it's one thing that needs to be removed altogether from the game and it should be relatively simple to do so.

orangeman

Conway suspended over Kielt clash 

James Conway is suspended pending an investigation
James Conway has been suspended from the Derry panel while an investigation is held into an incident which left James Kielt with a broken jaw.

Kielt was playing for his club Kilrea against Conway's Ballinderry on 7 June when an off-the-ball clash occurred.

As the referee did see the incident, Ballinderry were ordered to identify which of their players was involved.

The injury rules Kielt out of Derry's Ulster semi-final clash against Tyrone on 21 June.

The forward is also doubtful for Derry's following game, either the Ulster final on 19 July or an All-Ireland qualifier eight days earlier.

INDIANA

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 11, 2009, 11:28:59 AM
Glad to see this, a fair sentence. Some of the reaction here [even from some Derry posters i might add] is obviously more a result of the hyperbole on TV rather than what actually happened.  GNevin's  'for God's sake would somebody please think of the children' shows just how far some people have lost the run of themselves.

If this is the worst thing thing, or one of the worst things, you've ever seen on a football pitch you obviously haven't played or indeed watched much football.

On the other hand, it IS one of the worst things I've ever saw on the Sunday Game!

How would you know what level of football I've played at?   and that was a disgraceful incident. It was the absolute intent that struck me with the incident. He even had a look around before he did it. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves in Derry.