Doire v Mhuineacháin 24/5/09

Started by Oakleafer93, April 27, 2009, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schkite

Oakleafer, on this occassion Doherty was worse than Dick, why can't you accept that? Of course Dick's no angel by a long shot but he simply wound up Doherty and he took the bait several times!

Oakleafer93

Quote from: full back on May 26, 2009, 01:29:20 PM
Quote from: Oakleafer93 on May 26, 2009, 01:25:52 PM
Fergal is deservedly getting a lot of flack on here for the way he carried on on Sunday, few are talking about the way Dick Clerkin performed always in his ear, getting the sly slaps in as well and he kneed Fergal in the ribs at one stage as well. If Fergal is going to be tarred as dirty and all the rest Clerkin shouldn't be getting away with the way he carried on either. Also is Fergals wee tap to Dick Clerkins ankle i what people are calling a suspension for they need to catch themselves ion, especially as Rory 'always involved in what has nothing to do with me' Woods was at the same craic.

What is 'Fergals' take on Sundays events?

He was disappointed in himself for getting sent off actually.

Oakleafer93

Quote from: Schkite on May 26, 2009, 01:30:45 PM
Oakleafer, on this occassion Doherty was worse than Dick, why can't you accept that? Of course Dick's no angel by a long shot but he simply wound up Doherty and he took the bait several times!

Yes Fergal snapped I do admit that, but Dick played a major part in the incident, what about Dick's knee sunk into Fergals ribs.

INDIANA

Quote from: Bensars on May 26, 2009, 01:18:36 PM
Didnt take long for the wagons to circle.

Irrespective of where Indiana is from the behaviour of Derry on sunday was unsavory to say the least. Even the staunchest  of derry supporters could not excuse it. But then again its a case of turn a blind eye when its affecting yer own.

Precisely and the 1983 win was never celebrated in the vogue of the 70's because of the incidents- the game was completely forgotten about. No-one ever talks about Dublin winning that game just the fact there were 4 sent off- thats a pretty argument Max.
It didn't take long for the wagons to circle here. There are some Northern posters here who believe that a different interpretation of the rules is acceptable because they think the game is more physical up there. there was no physicality last sunday, absolutely none. I've been to some great contests up there even down and tyrone last year was a brilliant game that I was at.  Just look at good Tyrone are when they escape Ulster. even Armagh's best performances have all been in Croke Park.

Just cheap shots and rank cowardice was evident last sunday.

Schkite

That type of thing is out of order, but it's hardly in Mullen territory. Even still, Doherty was more guilty on the day. He's an awful hot-head and will need to keep his temper in check if Derry are to challenge for honours this year. Dick has shown everyone else how easy Doherty is to wind up and you can bet other teams will try to take advantage.

Maximus Marillius

You have just ignored 83, the famous fighting match in Omagh and your headbutting incident with Monaghan. Just how far is your head up your own ass when its comes to hyprocisy. Is it this far?

screenexile

Quote from: Schkite on May 26, 2009, 01:36:30 PM
That type of thing is out of order, but it's hardly in Mullen territory. Even still, Doherty was more guilty on the day. He's an awful hot-head and will need to keep his temper in check if Derry are to challenge for honours this year. Dick has shown everyone else how easy Doherty is to wind up and you can bet other teams will try to take advantage.

And your basis for this is what? Yes on Sunday he was out of order but you're making it sound like he does this every week when really this is an isolated occurence. How many times have you seen Doherty lose the head? I've played with and against Doherty since I was 12 and I can tell you off the top of my head I can only remember him getting the line for Derry once and for Bellaghy once. Hardly constituting a 'hot-head'. In normal circumstances Doc is an honest hard player but if you push someone constantly it is only a matter of time before they snap... no matter who they are!!! Yes he lost the run of himself on Sunday but it was nothing major only a wee kick to the calf muscle, hardly thuggery! If he does get a suspension I would be deeply concerned as to how the powers that be handle themselves.

Doherty is without doubt one of the best midfielders in the Country and I have no doubt that he will prove it again this year!

Oakleafer93

Quote from: screenexile on May 26, 2009, 01:46:30 PM

And your basis for this is what? Yes on Sunday he was out of order but you're making it sound like he does this every week when really this is an isolated occurence. How many times have you seen Doherty lose the head? I've played with and against Doherty since I was 12 and I can tell you off the top of my head I can only remember him getting the line for Derry once and for Bellaghy once. Hardly constituting a 'hot-head'. In normal circumstances Doc is an honest hard player but if you push someone constantly it is only a matter of time before they snap... no matter who they are!!! Yes he lost the run of himself on Sunday but it was nothing major only a wee kick to the calf muscle, hardly thuggery! If he does get a suspension I would be deeply concerned as to how the powers that be handle themselves.

Doherty is without doubt one of the best midfielders in the Country and I have no doubt that he will prove it again this year!

If Fergal is suspended over that tap on Clerkin's ankle its a sad state of affairs, as it was a minor incident compared to some of the crap that was on the field for boys like Woods, Freeman and Mullen. Re-watched the game last nigh Chrissy Mc Kaigue made an awful fool of himself near the end re Damien Freeman and by the rules he could be suspended for feigning injury to get a player sent off.

INDIANA

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on May 26, 2009, 01:42:35 PM
You have just ignored 83, the famous fighting match in Omagh and your headbutting incident with Monaghan. Just how far is your head up your own ass when its comes to hyprocisy. Is it this far?

I'm not going to respond to juveniles max. I've outlawed the 1983 game and the headbutt by our alleged video expert as being completely unacceptable.  I'm not going to lower myself to your base level with juvenile and infantile images. I forgot the schools finished up last Friday. I'll let you continue in Never Never Land where common assault on a Gaa pitch is acceptable behaviour.

Oakleafer93

Does anyone know why Brian Mullen got  a yellow? We all know he kneed Mc Manus in the balls but surely by the letter of the law this is a straight red? So what did the linesman actually see? Both men wrestled one another to the ground prior to the incident so if this was what the linesmen saw why did just Mullen get a yellow? Severe inconsistency in giving information to the ref- Mullen should have got a straight red, i don't think the linesman had a clue what he saw.

Schkite

No I agree, Doherty is one of the best midfielders about alright, but wasn't at his best on Sunday as he got too caught up in the nonsense. I'm not saying he's generally a dirty player, and obviously you've seen him alot more than me, but it seems to be he got easily riled up. I know Dick can be a cnut to play against, but sure he went out to stop Doherty playing and he effectively did that. If any teams feel they can do the same they'll surely try. But at the same time I suppose Doherty won't be making the same mistake again.

Rav67

It would be a travesty if Doherty gt suspended IMO.  It was just a tiny flick, it was stupid and deserved a yellow but nothing more.

Great article by Heaney, summed up everything perfectly.

Maximus Marillius

Indiana do what you want to, but take the mote out of your own eye first before you come on hear and point the finger at everyone else. Thats my point.Did Mickey Ned ever get to lift that cup. No body has argued that the game wasn't ugly in the worst sense, but seem to think you are on a crusade to the save the GAA from these games.

whiskeysteve

Doherty has no track record of behaviour like Sunday. It was completely out of character as Screenexile said. The more obvious conclusion is that Dick has shown how effective he is at being a hateful hoor.

Indiana, saying there was 'no physicality' on Sunday, just 'rank cowardice' is plainly a gross exaggeration. You are only seeing what you want to see. At least the Derry posters on here have criticised Mullen and Doc (and rightly so, though judging by your last line to Max you are only listening to what you want to hear).

And this 'circling the wagons' business, sure if you come on to a Derry - Monaghan thread to criticise and register disgust with our players and identify it as an Ulster wide problem, it must surely be understandable if folks look at your own county  ??? Apparently not.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Zulu

QuoteYou can be sure that if punch ups went more unpunished as of old there would be more of your preferred retribution from those halcyon days.

Incidentally, folks like yourself should just a leaf out of Mick Lyons book and just get on with it, instead of rolling around the ground making a meal out of these incidents

Clearly I'm not making myself clear, I don't think that punch ups are acceptable on a football field but I'd rather see 2 lads go toe to toe and then get on with the football than what we got last Sunday which was neither manly or legal, only cowardly and niggly. So to make clear I don't want to see either, I want to see good hard football, if I want to see a punch up I'll go to a boxing match and if I want to see a repeat of last Sunday I'll go to the WWF.

As for your comment about Mick Lyons, it's all too typical of some around here, - 'move along, nothing to see here folks'. I don't care who won last Sunday and I don't really care who wins the AI, because ultimately that is only the short term, 'small' picture. I'm more interested in the growth, development and promotion of the game and it's only when fellas start looking at the bigger picture that the game can become all it's capable of becoming. I'm not having a go at the players because we have seen this stuff before and in fact, I've done much of it myself, so I'm not coming at this from the high moral ground, I simply want the GAA to address it because it isn't good for the game. And the fellas who are trying to deflect the flak by pointing to the antics of other counties are all that is wrong with this issue. Monaghan and Derry haven't dragged football to a new low, we've all been down there on occasion but the point is we get away with it so we'll continue to sink that low every now and again. And as far as I can see we are the only sport in the world which allows players to get away with it.