Doire v Mhuineacháin 24/5/09

Started by Oakleafer93, April 27, 2009, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: AFS on May 24, 2009, 10:43:26 PM
Quote from: Schkite on May 24, 2009, 10:37:52 PM
Quote from: the green man on May 24, 2009, 10:32:08 PM

Quote from: Schkite on May 24, 2009, 10:27:13 PM
See the attempt at an eye-gouge by Doherty?

How do you know it was an attempt an that. Clerkin came in to try and out muscle Doc off the ball. Fergal took a dislike and the two choked each other to the ground.

I was just wondering how anyone else saw it. Heard from someone after that was sitting at that far side with a better view and they reckoned there was something in it. All I saw was when Dick was on the ground you could see Doherty's left hand come round to his face, but sure you couldn't see much after that. Think there's a photo on sportsfile that you can see it a bit better.

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/355249/5000/

That picture isn't good - but thankfully gouging is a rugby offence. No charges here.

oakleafgael

Quote from: sam03/05 on May 24, 2009, 10:43:10 PM
Quote from: oakleafgael on May 24, 2009, 10:40:31 PM
Quote from: sam03/05 on May 24, 2009, 10:38:49 PM
doherty should get a suspension for that kick
if that was mcmenamin they would be going mad on the sunday game
however they brushed it under the carpet cos hes big Anthonys mate

Are they showing a different version of the Sunday Game in the part of Tyrone your in? He tried to trip him, there wasnt a kick.

ack now come on
sue they are only after saying that he kicked him
it was a kick

Sam,

Im only calling it as I see it. If thats a kick then there would be a dozen of them in every game. He was a lucky boy to still be on the field at that stage as a fussier ref would have given him a second yellow for the ankle tap in the first half.

Schkite

How do you know it was an attempt an that. Clerkin came in to try and out muscle Doc off the ball. Fergal took a dislike and the two choked each other to the ground.

I was just wondering how anyone else saw it. Heard from someone after that was sitting at that far side with a better view and they reckoned there was something in it. All I saw was when Dick was on the ground you could see Doherty's left hand come round to his face, but sure you couldn't see much after that. Think there's a photo on sportsfile that you can see it a bit better.

Yeah that's the one. Not a great view of it but you can make out Doherty's hand over Clerkin's eyes, and that hand was totally missed by the TV cameras. Doubt he'll get pulled up on it.

orangeman

Jimmy White is an old style ref and the players took full advantage of Jimmy's let it go style.

the green man

Quote from: orangeman on May 24, 2009, 10:45:47 PM
That picture isn't good - but thankfully gouging is a rugby offence. No charges here.

Are we to conveniently  forget Clerkins knee into Dohertys ribs just prior to this incident, just because sportsfile didnt capture it? This is going to turn into whataboutery very shortly. I am aware that most of the Farney posters are happy to leave it here, yet others seem keen to highlight every misdemeanour that happened during the game. Its a championship game. Things happen. Far too much Sky Sports style analysis.

Edited for poor speling

mylestheslasher

Quote from: oakleafgael on May 24, 2009, 10:44:04 PM
Quote from: hardstation on May 24, 2009, 10:41:06 PM
Well, what did happen, in your eyes?

FFS, have a look at it.

I've no idea how you can defend him.

McManus pulled him down. Should have been a free to Derry, which is irrelevant. They both wrestled on the ground, Mullan was about to get up but before he did he drove his knee into the midrife of McManus. If seen by the officials it would have been a straight red card for striking.

Thats exactly what happened from where I was sitting.

tbrick18

Quote from: sam03/05 on May 24, 2009, 10:02:22 PM
Fergal Doherty and Mullan should both face suspensions for what they did.

Tommy freeman should for the headbutt....and mone should for the sneaky punch before the game started....

JMohan

The punch before will never count or be used

To be fair Dessie Moen has got away with alot over the years!

oakleafgael

Quote from: orangeman on May 24, 2009, 10:45:47 PM

Using still pictures can be very misleading. I remember Ricey getting slaughtered for supposedly spitting when in fact he was just "slabbering".

tbrick18

Quote from: JMohan on May 24, 2009, 10:11:02 PM
Quote from: Schkite on May 24, 2009, 10:01:21 PM
Is it as bad as a knee to the balls?

As I say, I don't think it was a clear tackle as you say it is. McManus goes up to catch the ball, Mullen comes from behind and breaks it away, and leaves the arm around McManus's head. McManus wraps his arms around him and their legs get tangled and they go down. I can see how it can be seen as a rugby tackle, but McManus isn't a player who usually would be fit to do that and wouldn't try! Even if he did, you're seriously saying he deserved a knee to the balls for his efforts?! Alot of pulling and dragging goes on in alot of games, but as I said earlier you don't see a knee to the balls after every such incident.

You see this is my problem

Everyone is now rushing to call Mullan a sc**bag and throw the book at him when the guy who started it and committed the first offense walks and the ref hasn't the balls to blow the whistle.
So the sum total is .... we encourage guys to pull players down and don't penalise them - but when the tackled retalitates we throw the book at him?

Something wrong with that.

Knee to the balls aside....in that incident Mullan got booked and McManus didnt.
What did he get booked for? There seems to be a fairly common concensus McManus rugby tackled Mullan. Now if the ref saw a knee it should have been a red.  So it cant have been for the knee, so what was it for?
He must have got the call wrong and should have booked McManus if thats the case?
Or maybe he did see the knee and thought a yellow was enough?
I dont know but either way it looks like the ref got it wrong.

A knee is a dirty act and should be punishised. But if the ref gave him a yellow for it then that will prob be the end of it.

Maguire01

I think the big difference in the discussions on here is that no one from Monaghan is trying to defend any dirty play - hands up where it's due. But there are one or two Derry fans on here who are so blinkered it's ridiculous. Yes, Clerkin was rough today and yes, Tommy did attempt a headbutt. None of this is pretty and if they are punished so be it. But this idea of JMohan's that McManus should be sanctioned if Mullan is... quite franky ridiculous.

ONeill

That's a big result for Derry. They didn't play overly well but in those last 10 mins showed that Cassidy has added that wee bit of discipline and steel needed to win games like this.

Kielt's a great prospect and you can see why he starting at that age - some talent. I don't think Derry are going to be the prettiest side to watch under Cassidy but they're there to be taken seriously.

It says a lot about the age we're in when most of the talk is about a wee bit of messing. No blood was drawn, no one was unable to continue playing. It was your typical Ulster game between two of the top sides.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

The Gs Man

Joe Brolly was some craic in his post-match analysis!!!  I "lol'd" a few times.
Keep 'er lit

oakleafgael

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrSsRUTWswk

Large chunks of the game up on Youtube for you all to argue about all you like. The supposed gougind incident is around the 3 min mark, much ado about nothing. Whats done is done and there is no point in trying to defend the undefensible in many cases. It wasnt pretty to look out and there was plenty of unpleasant incidents throughout. No doubt there will be further action taken on a few of them but so be it. If they have transgressed then they will have to face the consequences.

While it is unpalatable to some, if Derry hadnt given back as good as they got they wouldnt have won. I wont be a hyprocrite and say I want them to go out and play classy football. They did what it took to win. Monaghan would have beat them out the gate if it was the Derry team of the last few years.

Derry still have a long way to go before they are a match for Tyrone. A performance like that wouldnt be good enough for either them or Armagh but it was always going to be that type of game.

tbrick18

I dont think there'll be any more of that from Derry/Tyrone/Armagh...but you can be sure Fermanagh will be hard to watch.
I still maintain that if Monaghan had come to play football, Derry would have also played football.
Monaghan came to bully their way through under instruction from their manager....what else were Derry supposed to do? Roll over and take it? They did what they had to.
A knee, a kick, a punch, and a headbut all warrant suspensions....so from that point of view you should see Tommy Freeman, Mone, Clerkin, Ronaghan, Mullan, Doherty all suspended.
At most I would say it will be Mullan and Freeman.

Looking forward to a proper match between Derry and Tyrone/Armagh.