Doire v Mhuineacháin 24/5/09

Started by Oakleafer93, April 27, 2009, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schkite

Quote from: Oakleafer1993 on May 24, 2009, 07:19:27 PM

"I don't think Fergal should have been sent-off. Someone was holding the ball and he put the shoulder in him and that's part of the game."  Damien Cassidy

Just on this point, McQuaid wasn't holding the ball, he was running across it when Doherty went over to get it. Being a bit of a nuisanse yes, but Doherty was awful stupid to shoulder him over right in front of the ref and him on a yellow, after a good few warnings too.

Oakleafer1993

have to agree with you Doherty was out of control at that stage he was hitting all around him - he totally losed it. Referee had no choice to send him off. But fair play to derry they didn't drop the heads they battled on. It was ironic that big joe hit the ball over the bar when everyone in the ground was shouting "lay it it off Joe !" - big Joe proved us all wrong!

Chuck Lidl

I think Derry deserved the victory today.  Don't think there's anyone outside of Monaghan that would disagree that they make every match a very dirty affair.  The Derry boys tried to match that but Fergal Doherty's useless at it - just gets angry and stupid - and i didn't think he performed anywhere near his standards today because of it.  Diver on the other hand seemed a lot more mature and focused than usual

I'm sure Mullan will get a suspension for that knee to the balls, although it may be slightly harsh. it's infuriating when someone starts that crap against you and i know that whenever someone starts itp against me, i always want to make sure i get the last dig in. it's possible he didn't aim to strike him in the balls, i'm sure he'll argue something like that anyway

I doubt Derry have any chance against either Tyrone or Armagh

Maximus Marillius

Big win for us today we met fire with fire. Derry played Managhan at their own game and won. Should have won by more. Eoin Bradley should have had a few easy scores at the end. Paddy missed and easy free, he was then hauled to ground on the 21 going by his man, no free given :o. Should have won by 5 at full time. Derry can play football when they have too. Very differnet game in the semi final and football will be needed to win it, but as we have seen derry through the league they will play when they need to play. Today they showed they can play it anyway for the first time in along time.

ExiledGael

Quote from: Oakleafer93 on May 24, 2009, 07:25:58 PM
Schkite, Monaghan v Kildare in the league, should have been men suspended for it. Ask most people and they'll agree.

Thats what really annoys me about this rules crap.
There were a number of clearly dangerous fouls/kicks/near decapitations in that Kildare game, all on tv and not a thing done about it. The rules are there to deal with this crap both during a game and after it by the CCCC. Guaranteed all week people will be rolled out in the media crying for the new rules to be brought back. Players get away with it and ofcourse they're going to keep doing it.
Woods did today exactly what he did that day, a childish little poke kick, when the refs back was turned.
If, as should have happened, he was given a month ban for that in the league, he surely wouldn't have been at it again today.
It's the GAA incompetence as much to blame here as any manager or team. Youi can certainly call a number of Monaghan men cynical but we don't need any new rules to deal with that.
(Just using Woods as a clear example as the evidence is there and well known, he was nowhere near the worst out there today)

Oakleafer1993

Quote from: Chuck Lidl on May 24, 2009, 07:32:00 PM

I think you are wrong there mate!

Oakleafer1993

Did anyone see the Monaghan Full back - i think it was Mone - letting on to kick Paddy Bradley in the head while paddy was down injuried ?

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: Oakleafer1993 on May 24, 2009, 07:36:08 PM
Quote from: Chuck Lidl on May 24, 2009, 07:32:00 PM

I think you are wrong there mate!

a fully fit mark lynch, who played well when he came on today, Lockhart, presumably Cartin (what happened him?) Patsy Bradley and hopefullu Mc Cusker at some point. The next game will be entirely different. Don't forget Monaghan nearly beat Kerry playing that way.

BobKelso

There was a key difference between the teams today. Monaghan went out on the field today with no intention to play football. Derry went out on the field to play ball, but if occasion required it had no bother leaving an oul shoulder in there to let Monaghan know we're not to bad at the dirt ourselves.

We would of lost under previous management. Well done lads.

Any forget about Mark lynch lads, he adds nothing to a championship team.

ExiledGael

Quote from: BobKelso on May 24, 2009, 07:40:48 PM
Any forget about Mark lynch lads, he adds nothing to a championship team.

Balls.

Schkite

Missing JP Mone who is a huge miss for us, we don't the same resources as Derry to cope with injuries lest you forget. Paul McGuigan came on but not fit, he'd be a starter if he was at all fit this last while. And Lennon, well he might as well not been there in midfield, non-existant and the bad form clearly continuing.

Anyway, well done Derry and all the best. But it's awful hard to say that considering some of the shite you Derry ones are coming out with.

Yes I Would

From a neutral perspective, bit of a damp squib really, with quality of play from both sides pretty poor.

No good cop, bad cop here. Both sides were equally guilty in the skull thuggery stakes.  Derry seemed happy to show that they werent gonna be bullied again by Monaghan and were only too willing to get invloved in handbags and the like.
Monaghan were Monaghan, aggressive and confrontational, and really had they concentrated more on the basic skills of the game, rather than become invloved they could have taken this one.

Doherty deserved to go for second yellow, altho deserved straight red for drawing the boot on Clerkin.
Mullans act of cowardice should land him a month or so on the sidelines.  

Schkite

Quote from: Oakleafer93 on May 24, 2009, 07:42:10 PM
Now Whiskey Steve etc, you opinions on Chrissy Mc Kaigue after today please...would have preferred Brian og Mc Alary on. After his point he did very little.

Seems like a bit of a mouthpiece to me, bit of playacting late on too when he claimed Damien Freeman struck him, made a show of himself.

Oakleafer93

Also well done to Monaghan's Minors  who kicked over some excellent points in the closing minutes, Derry were just holding out for a goal that was never going to come.

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

What was the craic with the numbers on the monagahan jerseys??