Doire v Mhuineacháin 24/5/09

Started by Oakleafer93, April 27, 2009, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

What a wretched game of football. Pure shite.

I hope the supposed custodians of our game that voted against the new rules are well proud of themselves after watching that spectacle, and there's plenty more to come too.

Surely even a watered down version of the experimental rules would be better than this? I know not every game will be played in this spiteful manner but one or two is one or two too many IMHO.

Archie Mitchell

New rules or no new rules, at the end of the day its up to the players and the managers to make sure the game is played in the right spirit and not see any of the nonsense we seen today.

the green man

Quote from: Size.5.Hallion on May 24, 2009, 04:26:40 PM
the majority of those incidents were out of his control, particularly the knee by Mullin

He could of give a free for McManus hauling Mullan to the ground! No?

Size.5.Hallion

Quote from: the green man on May 24, 2009, 04:52:32 PM
Quote from: Size.5.Hallion on May 24, 2009, 04:26:40 PM
the majority of those incidents were out of his control, particularly the knee by Mullin

He could of give a free for McManus hauling Mullan to the ground! No?

Well, true, and i definitly agree it was a free but he can hardly be too blame for Mullins reaction.  As I mentioned before though, he was very keen to let the game flow throughout and probably thought that Mullin would have been unable to get the ball anyway, as another Monaghan man was coming on to it.  Realistically, it was a very difficult game to control and as mentioned by a number of analysts another referee would have ruined the game completely, but Jimmy White did a very commendable job in my opinion.

ziggysego

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on May 24, 2009, 03:37:44 PM
Brolly and Spillane is better viewing than the match.

Tell me about it. It was all it took for me not to switch over.

Watched a bit on the BBC and put it straight back to RTE. Did catch Martin McHugh say Dooher is a fantastic player ::)
Testing Accessibility

Hound

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on May 24, 2009, 04:41:24 PM
New rules or no new rules, at the end of the day its up to the players and the managers to make sure the game is played in the right spirit and not see any of the nonsense we seen today.
"right spirit" is absolutely nothing to do with players and managers. They go to win. And if there's no real punishment for cynical fouling and off the ball hitting, then teams will try and take advantage of it.

The new rules went a long way to getting rid of a lot of that nonsense. But if you look at the thread debating the new rules the majority of the fogies on here prefer the cynical fouling, because that means its a "man's game" and without the cynical fouling our game is no different than basketball. Hard to believe, but many clowns actually believe that - as can be seen from that thread.

INDIANA

Quote from: Hound on May 24, 2009, 05:36:40 PM
"right spirit" is absolutely nothing to do with players and managers. They go to win. And if there's no real punishment for cynical fouling and off the ball hitting, then teams will try and take advantage of it.

The new rules went a long way to getting rid of a lot of that nonsense. But if you look at the thread debating the new rules the majority of the fogies on here prefer the cynical fouling, because that means its a "man's game" and without the cynical fouling our game is no different than basketball. Hard to believe, but many clowns actually believe that - as can be seen from that thread.

spot on in my view.

ExiledGael

Just in from that wrestling match in Derry. Haven't heard any reaction but just confirmed my belief that Monaghan are the dirtiest team in the game. Few shocking incidents and they had Derry down to their level (Mullan should get a ban for that). Rory Woods another who deserves a mention for a sly kick just behind the referee. Maybe Doc deserved red for actions elsewhere but McQuaid was a joke lying down after the two of them shouldered, nothing manly about that. Things like that and Woods' kick dispel any notion that Monaghan are a tough team, it's dirt pure and simple. Definitely the most cynical game I've ever seen.
There's only so much the ref can do, and he was poor, that was near impossible to ref. Shite going on all over the field almost all of the time. As someone said earlier some teams go out to play in that spirit and the only times Monaghan looked like winning that game was when it descended into chaos. Brought a few non GAA fans to it and to be honest it was embarrassing.

Fuzzman

The Brolly v Spillane show is heating up & in fairness to O'Rourke he's making up his own mind and not choosing one side or the other. I loved it when they all laughed at Spillane for saying he doesnt wanna be always saying things were better in his day when they all laughed and O'Rourke said sure you were the best player ever.

It was a poor spectacle but Monaghan were always gonna make it that type of game & fair play to to Derry for hanging in there with their SYSTEM and came good in the end. I agree Monaghan are a very negative minded team & even though Derry were no angels in this game I think it was very much them standing up for themselves rather than Derry not wanting to beat them at football.

It will be interesting to see how much the CCCC do look into the incidents & as O'Rourke said they can't be blamed for highlighting the incidents as they can't just sweep them under the carpet.

Everyone says its a tough job to be the ref but when players see he wont implement the rules himself then they take the law into their own hands. How Ronaghan stayed on the field is beyond me. He seemed intent on getting a 2nd yellow at least.

I'd say we'll see a very different Derry performance the next day. Wonder who it will be against.

BTW just count how many times Brolly mentions Tyrone every Sunday. He sure loves to talk them up.

Agree with ye ExiledGael as I thought they were firece durty in the Ulster final in 2007

cameltohill

dont see what all the crying is about ya cowards. its championship football afterall, if yous dont like it go watch league football
good win today, cant see james conway staying on the panel any longer. if i was him id pack her in...

mountainboii

Quote from: Hound on May 24, 2009, 05:36:40 PM

While I'm beginning to see more merit in your way of thinking, I can't fully agree with that. There are clear punishments for this crap, striking off the ball, etc. Fergal Doherty and Brian Mullan should both have seen straight reds for their actions. A couple of the Derry backs and their goalie could've seen the line too for get boys in headlocks and digging at the Monaghan forwards. There already are punishments in the rule book for these types of misdemeanors, so we don't necessarily need new rules, rather refs (with more help from umpires, in particular) to enforce the existing ones.

Dubh driocht

If Monaghan fans were as fickle as our hurlers on the ditch in Down there would be a Mc Enaney must go thread already.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: hardstation on May 24, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
Is it still "out of character" for Doherty to act like a sc**bag?

Mullan will be suspended.

Chrissy McKaigue - Pathetic.

Did he do something doorty? Or was it just a poor performance?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 24, 2009, 06:09:08 PM
Quote from: hardstation on May 24, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
Is it still "out of character" for Doherty to act like a sc**bag?

Mullan will be suspended.

Chrissy McKaigue - Pathetic.

Did he do something doorty? Or was it just a poor performance?

He won a free near the end, then went down holding his face when there was minimal contact.

tyssam5

A lot of bad manners in that game alright. CCCC might suspend the one Derryman for ball kneeing, as attacks on the swingers seem to be the only offence punishable by video evidence. If they don't look at some of the other stuff it will be a cop out though, with the one player as the scapegoat.

That said, must the RTE commentators sound like they are a combination of 60 year-old spinster school-mistresses talking about naughty children and Kate Adie reporting from a Congolese convent where 20 nuns have just been slaughtered?