Doire v Mhuineacháin 24/5/09

Started by Oakleafer93, April 27, 2009, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oakleafer93

The diference is Derry are quite familiar with the Monaghan team but Monaghan wouldn't quite as familiar this Derry team had had an overhaul with 2/3 of the team from the last day not playing.

Schkite

Quote from: Oakleafer93 on May 21, 2009, 02:51:08 PM
The diference is Derry are quite familiar with the Monaghan team but this Derry team had had an overhaul with 2/3 of the team from the last day not playing.

So.... that would mean only a third of the Derry players on Sunday are familar with the Monaghan team, and it's the management first meeting with them. They can have it drilled into them every training about Monaghan but at the end of the day it's up to the players and Derry have 4 championship debutants there, can they match the intensity of their markers, and will they stand up and be counted if/when the shit hits the fan?

illdecide

Quote from: Main Street on May 21, 2009, 12:45:48 AM
A loud mouthed snitch from Armagh preaching about purity,  what next? ;D

Who was that Main Street???
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Main Street

Maguire01

Quote from: Schkite on May 21, 2009, 02:58:56 PM
The diference is Derry are quite familiar with the Monaghan team but this Derry team had had an overhaul with 2/3 of the team from the last day not playing.

So.... that would mean only a third of the Derry players on Sunday are familar with the Monaghan team, and it's the management first meeting with them.
:D
That's just blown Oakleafer's observation out of the water!

Oakleafer93

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 21, 2009, 04:19:25 PM

So.... that would mean only a third of the Derry players on Sunday are familar with the Monaghan team, and it's the management first meeting with them.

Not really, because they know the tactics that Monaghan are likely to employ on the Bradleys etc but the don't know how Kielt and the Mc Goldricks will perform.

Maguire01

Quote from: Oakleafer93 on May 21, 2009, 05:17:06 PM

Not really, because they know the tactics that Monaghan are likely to employ on the Bradleys etc but the don't know how Kielt and the Mc Goldricks will perform.
But Monaghan may well employ totally different tactics on the Bradleys.... and we've all seen Kielt etc in operation during the league, so maybe we could have an insight into Derry's tactics in that respect...

Basically i don't think one team has any distinct advantage over the other in relation to knowledge of the opposition.

Schkite

How do they know how Monaghan will deal with Eoin Bradley? I'd say they don't have a clue as it will be someone marking him that hasn't before. The real question is how will Derry deal with Finlay, that will be a new experience for them.

Maguire's right though, all this talk means nothing and I'm sure both management teams are at a level footing in terms of knowing the other team's play.

Logan

They better do better than last year on him

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 21, 2009, 05:32:03 PM

But Monaghan may well employ totally different tactics on the Bradleys.... and we've all seen Kielt etc in operation during the league, so maybe we could have an insight into Derry's tactics in that respect...

Basically i don't think one team has any distinct advantage over the other in relation to knowledge of the opposition.

In fairness to OL93 I can see Derry having a bit more potential to spring a surprise, in terms of tactics/system whatever you want to call it. Its not much of a factor but still could make a difference, especially as Cassidy's bench has seen plenty of action in the league. We might just be a bit more flexible. Monaghan are a seasoned team and their style is well known on the other hand. The new Derry panel will at least be familiar with the Monaghan players from seeing them in action over the past few years, even I am fairly familiar with most of them whereas even a lot of Derry people arent too familiar with our HB and HF lines for instance. Exploiting this knowledge is a different matter though, hope Cass can a see a way to get at Monaghan and get it through to the players. Easier said than done.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Maguire01

Quote from: whiskeysteve on May 21, 2009, 07:28:36 PM

In fairness to OL93 I can see Derry having a bit more potential to spring a surprise, in terms of tactics/system whatever you want to call it. Its not much of a factor but still could make a difference, especially as Cassidy's bench has seen plenty of action in the league. We might just be a bit more flexible. Monaghan are a seasoned team and their style is well known on the other hand. The new Derry panel will at least be familiar with the Monaghan players from seeing them in action over the past few years, even I am fairly familiar with most of them whereas even a lot of Derry people arent too familiar with our HB and HF lines for instance. Exploiting this knowledge is a different matter though, hope Cass can a see a way to get at Monaghan and get it through to the players. Easier said than done.
Here, you're just asking to be reported!

ONeill

Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 21, 2009, 12:36:05 PM

2) to deliberate confound any Derry men who may be reading this so that they can't tell Cass.

I put this into babelfish but still no luck. Can anyone translate it?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on May 21, 2009, 12:46:12 PM
You ever have a look at the Harps thread?? The nicknames there are ridiculous, you can only make out about three out of fifteen players its a joke.

I am in agreement can people post the players ACTUAL NAMES, but I admit you are cool for knowing their nicknames...

Harps match reports are awful for nicknames. I tried to read about the exploits of Nippy, Ebby et al. but it just got too much.

Quote from: The GAA on May 21, 2009, 01:05:27 PM

agreed - nicknames is stoopid

Thank you.

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 21, 2009, 01:20:24 PM
Some people are easily wound up!

Saffron Sam, under what rule did you report this one?

I didn't know there were rules. Deserved to be reported for wasting the time of neutrals who happened upon this thread.

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on May 21, 2009, 02:10:05 PM
Quote from: Maximus Marillius on May 21, 2009, 01:06:32 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 21, 2009, 12:36:05 PM
Quote from: thebandit on May 21, 2009, 09:42:59 AM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 20, 2009, 11:50:19 PM
Quote from: the green man on May 20, 2009, 08:39:25 PM
Don't you just love GAA nicknames

No, this team is just embarassing.

Quote from: thebandit on May 20, 2009, 05:52:28 PM
Monaghan team (my prediction)

Butsy

Dessie               Vinny          Strimmer

Damien             McQuaid       D Hughes

Dick               Spindley

Jinxy                 Jap              Manzie

Tommy             Rory             Downey

I dont think JP will start, so Vinny to full back.

thebandit should be banned. I have reported this muck.

Anyhow, my Derry sources, including a high profile lurker (I shall post his PM anon) indicate that Derry are shoe-ins for this tie. I have been told to put my mortgage on Cass and the boys; there is apparently no way that Derry will lose three years in a row to the uncouth Farney men.

I fear, however, the arrogance of the London boys will come back to bite them on their bottoms.

Much as it pains me to say so (I am a purist after all and hate the common thuggery that permeates each Monaghan performance), Monaghan by two.

Are you joking me?

No, I'm not. This is supposed to be a serious thread that people with a genuine interest in the Championship should feel comfortable in. I have no idea who Butsy, Strimmer, Spindley, Jinxy, Jap or Manzie are. Hence the thread is ruined for those of us who don't know who you are talking about.

There are only two reasons why you might have posted the team the way you did.

1) to impress us all with your knowledge of Monaghan players' nicknames - I can't see an appearance on Mastermind with that. I'm not impressed, it reminds me of the time Brian Whelehan retired and some clampit on this board used his nickname (Sid, by the way) 32 times in his eulogy.

2) to deliberate confound any Derry men who may be reading this so that they can't tell Cass.

Neither reason is sufficient to justify how you named your team. It was repetitive and boring when ONeill did it with Tyrone teams. It's still the same when you do it.

:D :D :D now your on pet name terms with him :D :D...after all the mud slinging that you have given him on here, you have some nerve on ye. Bold as brass!!! :o :o

SS2 , nothing to say...highly irregular :D

I recently met the former Sarsfield's player and he mentioned that I could call him Cass. No real mystery. You will, like others have spotted the use of a nickname in a post where I was giving off about nicknames. Well done. No flies on any of you.

Quote from: Main Street on May 21, 2009, 04:18:32 PM
It's beneath my sense of purity to name the culprit.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=12088.msg549652#msg549652

This bit has me well confused. Any chance of making it a bit clearer. Are you suggesting I am an Armagh man? If so, well done - you win a prize. Twit of the week.

Anyhow, back to the game. Still Monaghan by 2.

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on May 21, 2009, 12:46:12 PM
You ever have a look at the Harps thread?? The nicknames there are ridiculous, you can only make out about three out of fifteen players its a joke.

Eh yeh well...........the Gaelic Life liked it!   :-\

Logan

Quote from: whiskeysteve on May 21, 2009, 07:28:36 PM

I don't see much sense in that post.

Cassidys bench has seen plenty of action? - You're using that as a reason to be optimistic? Not that the bench isn't important - I'd be more worried about the guys missing from the starting 15.
Flexible? I'm not sure you can say that as though it was planned either, men getting injured etc.
Also - I'm yet to be convinced by Cassidy yet. All his huff and puff about Championship has yet to be proven. He's not unearthed any great talent that wasn't there in 08 - apart from Kielt who I think was drafted in last year at the end if I remember correctly?

The two things I will give him credit for though are introducing Barry McGoldrick to centre back which might work well and getting more out of Eoin Bradley.
If Derry win I expect those two to have a major say in the game.

His test comes on Sunday.

As for Monaghan I think this will be a completely different test to before. They aren't going in with the same intensity as last years game and I think if Derry bring the very intense 'in your face game' Monaghan might struggle to reach the levels of intensity they reached before.