Started by Oakleafer93, April 27, 2009, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cameltohill

Quote from: thebandit on May 13, 2009, 10:15:52 PM
Quote from: Main Street on May 13, 2009, 10:01:16 PM
From infighting to apathy.

£20  ;D

And we have to pay more...

Looking forward to this, btw what are Derry minors like?

dont think they are the best from what i have hearded, i know the league results mean nout but they havent been good.what way are your boys looking?

tbrick18

This thread has went very quiet given its only a week to the game!
Really looking forward to the match, think its about time we gave them Monaghan men a good tankin  ;D

Someone has to bite  :D

Maguire01

It'll pick up now that it's the next game up.

Main Street

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 17, 2009, 11:33:45 AM
This thread has went very quiet given its only a week to the game!
Really looking forward to the match, think its about time we gave them Monaghan men a good tankin  ;D

Someone has to bite  :D
Always ready to oblige  ;D

Main Street

Looks like home advantage will be bigger this year than any before in recent times.

Oakleafer1993

lads do you think the game will pull the crowds? --- the brewster Park was only half full today.
The pitch in celtic park is in some shape - perfect condition.

Rav67

I'd have though it will pull circa 20,000.  Was just thinking today about Derry's record at Celtic Park - when was the last time we were beaten there?  I know there hasn;t been games there this year but I can't recall a defeat there in the League in the past few seasons.

Oakleafer93

Rav W/Meath 07 I think, but the championship record that I can recall is pretty intact

Oakleafer1993

Estimator

I don't think that Derry have played many Ulster Championship matches in Celtic Park over the last 20years.  So home advantage probably won't mean too much.

Ulster League Champions 2009

donelli

This is going to be a tough one for monaghan.
beating derry is tough enough. beating them in celtic park is gonna be tougher.
and to beat them 3 years on the trot would be a huge feat for this monagahn team.

Not exactly confident, but i will throw money on monaghan anyway (always do, win and the winnings always pays for the ticket for the next round, lose and its sod it, all back to club football!!).

Need Lennon to regain form. The 2 keepers done well in the league but for command of high balls in the square and better range of kickouts i'd go for mcbennet.
Hope mcmanus finds his form too. he was poor in the last few games.

Logan

This is a big game for both.

For Cassidy he has put all his eggs in one basket - the championship.
For Monaghan they have to do something big in Bantys last roll of the dice.

I think Derry are in transition, they are moving to a more mobile game, last year it was a more physical approach, but this year he's using smaller men.
Monaghan look not to be as overtrained going into this season as before and should be fresher than they were first day out against Fermanagh.

Lennon is supposedly going through a poor patch, Dick is still Dick
Derry are missing Patsy Bradley and both Enda Muldoon and Diver struggle to get through a full 70 each, Fergal will not be as fit as he was last year, but will still be a force.
I think they'll both break even here.

Up front Monaghan still rely on Freeman and if Derry stop him Monaghan will struggle. I think Cassidy will have enough men and a decent enough plan to snuff him out.
Derry have more options up front with Eoin Bradley the danger man this year. Paddy will also be a threat with one or two scores from others such as Muldoon.

I think Derry aren't as strong as last year, but better mentally prepared for this year.

On paper Derry are struggling with injury concerns over Lochart, Muldoon, McGoldrick, Lynch and O'Kane. It really depends on how many of these are fit or ready for the game.
If they are fit and heads are right, being at home etc, then it's a Derry win.
Otherwise, Monaghan to beat them.

It will also be a good test to see how things go when the going gets tight for Derry. In previous years we saw Paddy Bradley shouting at the bench against Fermanagh and coming off against Kerry after a knock - will he do the same against Monaghan if things get tough?

On another note - it's certainly a bigger game for Monaghan as Derry can't do the back door, no matter what people think, Monaghan generally improve in the backdoor.

Logan

Now Muldoon is definitely out for it.
Pressures on Joe Diver now.
With no Conway for back up.

Maguire01

Quote from: Logan on May 18, 2009, 11:09:23 AM
So what, did he throw the league final? Both Monaghan and Derry got to their respective league finals. Disregard what Cassidy said about the league - all managers say the same. No difference here.

Dick has been one of the best players on the team so far this year. Long may it continue. But yes, we do need Lennon to find his form again. This would be a nice time for it to happen!

Up front Monaghan still rely on Freeman and if Derry stop him Monaghan will struggle. I think Cassidy will have enough men and a decent enough plan to snuff him out.
Ah, that old Tommy Freeman myth that those outside of Monaghan have. Take a look at the spread of scoring over this year's league. We have the likes of Downey, McManus, Finlay, Woods, Ronaghan... Tommy's a star forward, but we're not as reliant on his as we were a couple of years ago. But if Derry want to keep all of their backs concentrating on Tommy, that'll suit us fine. I'd imagine Cassidy has a handle on the reality however.

On another note - it's certainly a bigger game for Monaghan as Derry can't do the back door, no matter what people think, Monaghan generally improve in the backdoor.
Surely that means it's a bigger game for Derry?

Logan

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 18, 2009, 11:53:20 AM
So what, did he throw the league final? Both Monaghan and Derry got to their respective league finals. Disregard what Cassidy said about the league - all managers say the same. No difference here.

Usually they do. But Cassidy moreso this year. He was dismissive of the league.

Dick has been one of the best players on the team so far this year. Long may it continue. But yes, we do need Lennon to find his form again. This would be a nice time for it to happen!

Ah, that old Tommy Freeman myth that those outside of Monaghan have. Take a look at the spread of scoring over this year's league. We have the likes of Downey, McManus, Finlay, Woods, Ronaghan... Tommy's a star forward, but we're not as reliant on his as we were a couple of years ago. But if Derry want to keep all of their backs concentrating on Tommy, that'll suit us fine. I'd imagine Cassidy has a handle on the reality however.

Sure - look at the scores. Freeman and Jap. Finaly mostly from frees on Freeman.
As for Ronaghan or Woods scoring! Come on! Downey may be a help though.

I think there was a stat last year that 60% of the scores for Monagahan come from Finlay and Freeman - snuff that out and your chances go up.

Surely that means it's a bigger game for Derry?

Correct