Quote from: thebandit on May 20, 2009, 05:52:28 PM
Monaghan team (my prediction)

Butsy

Dessie               Vinny          Strimmer

Damien             McQuaid       D Hughes

Dick               Spindley

Jinxy                 Jap              Manzie

Tommy             Rory             Downey

I dont think JP will start, so Vinny to full back.

thebandit should be banned. I have reported this muck.

Anyhow, my Derry sources, including a high profile lurker (I shall post his PM anon) indicate that Derry are shoe-ins for this tie. I have been told to put my mortgage on Cass and the boys; there is apparently no way that Derry will lose three years in a row to the uncouth Farney men.

I fear, however, the arrogance of the London boys will come back to bite them on their bottoms.

Much as it pains me to say so (I am a purist after all and hate the common thuggery that permeates each Monaghan performance), Monaghan by two.

Are you joking me?

No, I'm not. This is supposed to be a serious thread that people with a genuine interest in the Championship should feel comfortable in. I have no idea who Butsy, Strimmer, Spindley, Jinxy, Jap or Manzie are. Hence the thread is ruined for those of us who don't know who you are talking about.

There are only two reasons why you might have posted the team the way you did.

1) to impress us all with your knowledge of Monaghan players' nicknames - I can't see an appearance on Mastermind with that. I'm not impressed, it reminds me of the time Brian Whelehan retired and some clampit on this board used his nickname (Sid, by the way) 32 times in his eulogy.

2) to deliberate confound any Derry men who may be reading this so that they can't tell Cass.

Neither reason is sufficient to justify how you named your team. It was repetitive and boring when ONeill did it with Tyrone teams. It's still the same when you do it.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Our Nail Loney

You ever have a look at the Harps thread?? The nicknames there are ridiculous, you can only make out about three out of fifteen players its a joke.

I am in agreement can people post the players ACTUAL NAMES, but I admit you are cool for knowing their nicknames...

thebandit

Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 21, 2009, 12:36:05 PM
Quote from: thebandit on May 21, 2009, 09:42:59 AM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 20, 2009, 11:50:19 PM
Quote from: the green man on May 20, 2009, 08:39:25 PM
Don't you just love GAA nicknames

No, this team is just embarassing.

Butsy

Anyhow, my Derry sources, including a high profile lurker (I shall post his PM anon) indicate that Derry are shoe-ins for this tie. I have been told to put my mortgage on Cass and the boys; there is apparently no way that Derry will lose three years in a row to the uncouth Farney men.

I fear, however, the arrogance of the London boys will come back to bite them on their bottoms.

Much as it pains me to say so (I am a purist after all and hate the common thuggery that permeates each Monaghan performance), Monaghan by two.

Are you joking me?

No, I'm not. This is supposed to be a serious thread that people with a genuine interest in the Championship should feel comfortable in. I have no idea who Butsy, Strimmer, Spindley, Jinxy, Jap or Manzie are. Hence the thread is ruined for those of us who don't know who you are talking about.

1) to impress us all with your knowledge of Monaghan players' nicknames - I can't see an appearance on Mastermind with that. I'm not impressed, it reminds me of the time Brian Whelehan retired and some clampit on this board used his nickname (Sid, by the way) 32 times in his eulogy.

2) to deliberate confound any Derry men who may be reading this so that they can't tell Cass.

Neither reason is sufficient to justify how you named your team. It was repetitive and boring when ONeill did it with Tyrone teams. It's still the same when you do it.

Who is Cass?

The GAA

Maximus Marillius

Butsy

Are you joking me?

:D :D :D now your on pet name terms with him :D :D...after all the mud slinging that you have given him on here, you have some nerve on ye. Bold as brass!!! :o :o

Maguire01

Some people are easily wound up!

Saffron Sam, under what rule did you report this one?

thebandit

Is Cass a nickname?  :o

I'm sure your sources would know the Monaghan team

Maguire01

The idea that this 'Cass' is relying on the GAABoard for his preparations, and that thebandit is scuppering his plans... priceless!

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 21, 2009, 01:31:12 PM
The idea that this 'Cass' is relying on the GAABoard for his preparations, and that thebandit is scuppering his plans... priceless!

Another glaring example of subversive/cynical/dirty/"insert exaggerated comment here" by the Monaghan men..

lynchbhoy

Quote from: thebandit on May 21, 2009, 11:44:15 AM
I dont know if Vinny has any cousins. We aren't as close to our cousins as Derry people are.
think in recent years stories have emerged to show up that yer on VERY shaky (if not ironic) ground there !

its great to see that on the odd occasion some people usually concerned with upholding the rights of orange order marching bands etc can finally jump into GAA related threads and at least pretend they are interested in football, even if they know very little or nothing about it  !   ;) :D

Rav67

Do people not realise SS2 is one of the biggest WUMs on the board, he'll be loving how some folk are taking him seriously!

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on May 21, 2009, 01:06:32 PM

Butsy

Are you joking me?

:D :D :D now your on pet name terms with him :D :D...after all the mud slinging that you have given him on here, you have some nerve on ye. Bold as brass!!! :o :o

SS2 , nothing to say...highly irregular :D

Main Street

Quote from: Rav67 on May 21, 2009, 01:42:34 PM
Do people not realise SS2 is one of the biggest WUMs on the board, he'll be loving how some folk are taking him seriously!
Exactly, if he wasn't a WUM then we would have to consider the other possibility which is just too scary to contemplate.

Quote from: The GAA on May 21, 2009, 11:29:39 AM
Does "downey" make quilts?
Is vinny someone's cousin?

Obviously, if Viny was someone's cousin, he would be 5ft nothing :)

thebandit

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 21, 2009, 01:31:12 PM

I have half a notion to report him for calling Damien Cassidy 'Cass'

I had this vision of Tony Cascarino picking the Derry team :D

Main Street

Derry are still steady medium hot favourites to win this gig.

4/7 Derry  as opposed to Monaghan's outside chance of 2/1.
I suspect Derry would have been even hotter favourites but for the lack of belief from memory scarred Derry fans who punt.

I  am very calm about this fixture, in the knowledge that behind any confidence displayed here by Derry fans, many bricks have been shat.
Also in the knowledge that Banty wants the triple crown so bad he has been charging up the Monaghan batteries to bubbling point,  it's  Play or Die time.