Lá na gClub

Started by screenexile, April 25, 2009, 04:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: thebandit on May 07, 2009, 09:53:37 PM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on May 07, 2009, 02:06:01 PM
My home club has the following organised (excert from club notes):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Killeevan / Cill Laobháin
Club Notes – 07/05/09

La na gClub
Keep this Sunday 10th may free in your diaries for our 125 celebrations.
Fun day lined up with activity for all the family. Congregating at the hall for parade to the field at 1.30. All kids to wear club colours and being their blue and white flags. Followed by ceremonial activity including unveiling of plaque, tree planting, turning of sod on new development. Then football blitzes for all ages followed by novelty races events for all the family.. Finally two exciting exhibition matches for both men and women. BBQ available throughout the day.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm takin part in the 'exhibition' game which should be eventful...

Will the women supporters take part in the game or will they just give out as usual.......

Both I'd say!  ;)

thebandit

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on May 08, 2009, 08:16:24 AM
Quote from: thebandit on May 07, 2009, 09:53:37 PM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on May 07, 2009, 02:06:01 PM
My home club has the following organised (excert from club notes):

Killeevan / Cill Laobháin
Club Notes – 07/05/09

La na gClub
Keep this Sunday 10th may free in your diaries for our 125 celebrations.
Fun day lined up with activity for all the family. Congregating at the hall for parade to the field at 1.30. All kids to wear club colours and being their blue and white flags. Followed by ceremonial activity including unveiling of plaque, tree planting, turning of sod on new development. Then football blitzes for all ages followed by novelty races events for all the family.. Finally two exciting exhibition matches for both men and women. BBQ available throughout the day.

I'm takin part in the 'exhibition' game which should be eventful...

Will the women supporters take part in the game or will they just give out as usual.......

Both I'd say!  ;)

I would pay good money to watch the women's game!!!

leenie

Quote from: bredaghgael on May 08, 2009, 12:00:57 AM
                                      Bredagh GAC Belfast 125 Events

Club Day (La na gClub)
Don't miss our weekend of activities to celebrate the 125th anniversary of the GAA.Saturday 9th May:Bredagh Celebration Mass in Good Shepherd Church at 6pm. Disco for Year 8, 9 & 10 pupils in Saint Bernadette's Hall from 8pm to 10pm. Admission £3.Folk Night in An Droichead Cultural Centre from 9pm to 12.30pm. Admission £5 BYO.Sunday 10th May:Fun Day in Cherryvale from 2pm to 5pm. Bouncy castles, face painting, rounders, magician and more! Admission Free. Bring your family and friends.Ceili Mor in Saint Bernadette's Hall from 8pm to 11.30pm. Admission £5.Children free if accompanied by an Adult

you're not meant to charge in or accept any money as it is a celebration and not a fundraiser

"On this day we would like every GAA club in the world to use their premises for the enjoyment of their members in a non-competitive and inclusive way, including free admission."
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

mournerambler

Quote from: leenie on May 09, 2009, 06:48:09 PM

Club Day (La na gClub)
Don't miss our weekend of activities to celebrate the 125th anniversary of the GAA.Saturday 9th May:Bredagh Celebration Mass in Good Shepherd Church at 6pm. Disco for Year 8, 9 & 10 pupils in Saint Bernadette's Hall from 8pm to 10pm. Admission £3.Folk Night in An Droichead Cultural Centre from 9pm to 12.30pm. Admission £5 BYO.Sunday 10th May:Fun Day in Cherryvale from 2pm to 5pm. Bouncy castles, face painting, rounders, magician and more! Admission Free. Bring your family and friends.Ceili Mor in Saint Bernadette's Hall from 8pm to 11.30pm. Admission £5.Children free if accompanied by an Adult

you're not meant to charge in or accept any money as it is a celebration and not a fundraiser

"On this day we would like every GAA club in the world to use their premises for the enjoyment of their members in a non-competitive and inclusive way, including free admission."
Maybe the powers that be should have thought about this before deciding to charge clubs (county down anyway) £100 for a flag!

Louth Exile

Quote from: mournerambler on May 09, 2009, 07:43:30 PM

Club Day (La na gClub)

Maybe the powers that be should have thought about this before deciding to charge clubs (county down anyway) £100 for a flag!

Two wrongs and all that, every club in the country was hit with that charge for a flag, just don't pay it. There should be no charge in for an events, the only accpetable exception to this would be if you were collecting for a charity and people could give a voluntary contribution if they wanted to but were not obliged to, much like a church gate collection
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

OnTheLine

Club Day (La na gClub)
Dont miss our weekend of activities to celebrate the 125th anniversary of the GAA.Saturday 9th May:Bredagh Celebration Mass in Good Shepherd Church at 6pm. Disco for Year 8, 9 & 10 pupils in Saint Bernadettes Hall from 8pm to 10pm. Admission £3.Folk Night in An Droichead Cultural Centre from 9pm to 12.30pm. Admission £5 BYO.Sunday 10th May:Fun Day in Cherryvale from 2pm to 5pm. Bouncy castles, face painting, rounders, magician and more! Admission Free. Bring your family and friends.Ceili Mor in Saint Bernadettes Hall from 8pm to 11.30pm. Admission £5.Children free if accompanied by an Adult

The view must be good from that high horse of yours... Either that or you've forgotten how to read. The sunday afternoon event is free at cherryvale - the folk night and the ceili are in other premises (as clearly stated) which incur hiring fees etc. Do you expect the club to provide all this free of charge and at a cost to the club?

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

DownFanatic

An unreal day in Dundrum yesterday for La na gClub.

We got good coverage in the Irish News today with a couple of articles on our pitch being dedicated to Jack Kielty.

There was a massive turnout for such a small club and its days like these which make you proud to be a member of the GAA.

magpie seanie

Quote from: DownFanatic on May 11, 2009, 02:31:36 PM
An unreal day in Dundrum yesterday for La na gClub.

We got good coverage in the Irish News today with a couple of articles on our pitch being dedicated to Jack Kielty.

There was a massive turnout for such a small club and its days like these which make you proud to be a member of the GAA.

I agree entirely. We had an absolutely fantastic day. Everything went almost perfectly to plan - we even kept on our time schedule which was amazing. Our big highlight was honouring the team that won the Intermediate Football Championship 20 years ago. It was a reminder of how different things were for our club back then and brilliant to see some faces that hadn't been about the club in a while. Some of them even togged out for a 10 a side game. Great stuff. The Nickey Rackard Cup was proudly perched on our trophy table too. I could write an essay on the day.

It just shows again that the real strength of the GAA is not big days in Croke Park - its the clubs. The leadership of the organisation have somewhat lost sight of that or only pay lip service to it. Too many of them are too interested in themselves and their own advancement. If they were serious about Lá na gClub would it have been a big job to provide every club with a 125 Flag for free? The only advice on the day was tucked away on their website and went up fairly late in the day as well. Still - as usual - the clubs came through and will have generated huge goodwill, publicity and records. Brilliant.

Louth Exile

There don't seem to be have too many clubs who broke the mould. It was your good old fashioned GAA sports with the blitz for the kids, the bbq, the exhibition game etc. Another thing that was bringing back memories of the eighties, but these were good memories  :)

I don't think that our day could have went any better, the organisation was crucial, but so was the weather. Seven hours down in your club cultivating the "la na gclub red tan". Couldn't beat it with a big stick.

St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

armagh leg-end

so the man above is a gaa fan!!lol

great weather and got the tan and all!!lol
Ard Mhacha Abu

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: armagh leg-end on May 11, 2009, 10:14:15 PM
so the man above is a gaa fan!!lol

great weather and got the tan and all!!lol

Aye. We discussed yesterday that God must be a GAA fan when you consider yesterday's weather. However I pointed out that it's ALWAYS lovely on the 12th July too. So we worked out that God is a prod that likes Gaelic, which means he's from Fermanagh.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

armaghniac

QuoteSo we worked out that God is a prod that likes Gaelic, which means he's from Fermanagh.

I am pretty sure that He is not from Antrim anyway, for a number of reasons!!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Louth Exile

I gathered up the photos from the day last night, at present we have over 500!!!! Going to put together a small WMV slideshow of the day and was thinking about the music that would go with it.

U2- Beautiful Day
Pogues - Fiesta

By any chance does anyone know if i can get my hands on the soundtrack from the fireworks display after the Dublin Tyrone game???
Anyone any other suggestions?? A soundtrack to go with the days photos?

mournerambler

Did many clubs celebrate Lá na gclub yesterday? It seems to have been a very low key affair compared to the 125 year celebrations of last year.