Bad news for soccer scam

Started by longrunsthefox, April 24, 2009, 11:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

Quote from: longrunsthefox on April 25, 2009, 08:59:06 PM
Hate to rain on anyone's anti-soccer parade and while Norn Iron is a rubbish league, in Tyrone club football a lot of games are thrown at the end of the season. Not for betting purposes but old favours and such. Was highlighed last year with a county board man going public about it. We all knew the results of games before they were played. So we really can't get on our high horse about this one.     

good point but is it just tyrone? the dogs in the street even knew the outcome of a lot of games in tyrone towards the end of last season? does this happen in other counties too?

longrunsthefox

Quote from: under the bar on April 25, 2009, 09:37:15 PM
QuoteHate to rain on anyone's anti-soccer parade and while Norn Iron is a rubbish league, in Tyrone club football a lot of games are thrown at the end of the season. Not for betting purposes but old favours and such. Was highlighed last year with a county board man going public about it. We all knew the results of games before they were played. So we really can't get on our high horse about this one.     

I agree in a small part but I doubt if Tyrone league games are rigged with scamming the bookies in mind.  I doubt if you'd even get a price on a Tyrone club league game in most bona-fide bookies. 

Professional sportsmen setting out to commit gambling fraud is somewhat different.

Why? players throwing games are players throwing games whatever the reason. whether it is a bookies scam or not is no consolation to lad who trained all year and goes into next division knowing team across the county threw a game to let his side take the fall. To me it is worse because it is us in GAA and we should expect much better from our teams and clubs. If local soccer does it..so what? I couldn't care less but do care our boys sink to that level.        

mountainboii

Quote from: longrunsthefox on April 26, 2009, 01:00:30 AM
QuoteHate to rain on anyone's anti-soccer parade and while Norn Iron is a rubbish league, in Tyrone club football a lot of games are thrown at the end of the season. Not for betting purposes but old favours and such. Was highlighed last year with a county board man going public about it. We all knew the results of games before they were played. So we really can't get on our high horse about this one.     

I agree in a small part but I doubt if Tyrone league games are rigged with scamming the bookies in mind.  I doubt if you'd even get a price on a Tyrone club league game in most bona-fide bookies. 

Professional sportsmen setting out to commit gambling fraud is somewhat different.

Why? players throwing games are players throwing games whatever the reason. whether it is a bookies scam or not is no consolation to lad who trained all year and goes into next division knowing team across the county threw a game to let his side take the fall. To me it is worse because it is us in GAA and we should expect much better from our teams and clubs. If local soccer does it..so what? I couldn't care less but do care our boys sink to that level.        

Ethically there mightn't be much difference but only one is crime.

Surely the bookies will be putting pressure on the cops to look into this  :-\

Minder

Dont be thinking it isnt happening in the good old honest Gaa, i know of an Antrim hurler that had £200 on Derry to beat them in an Ulster Final, Derry won.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: longrunsthefox on April 26, 2009, 01:00:30 AM

Good post. Good point.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone