Team of the noughties

Started by blewuporstuffed, April 23, 2009, 03:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T O Hare

Quote from: Mickey Linden on April 23, 2009, 04:11:52 PM
Quote from: T O Hare on April 23, 2009, 04:07:55 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on April 23, 2009, 04:02:35 PM
Quote from: Mickey Linden on April 23, 2009, 03:50:02 PM
As soon as I seen this thread I was wondering how long it would take T O Hare to post to get his Benny agrument in :)

Any teams with any Down men on them should be immediately disregarded as preposterous.  :)

;D :o :o :o :o :o :D

Whats the betting T O hare launchs a new thread in a few minutes. Team of the sixties? Picking da and benny in dream teams...Just like Belfast all over again!
That would be a great thread!!!!! :L :L
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

eireogatron

Oisin McConville would HAVE to be in this!! He is the top scorer in Ulster history, has won everything there is to win and I would say 80-90% of his scores came in this decade.

Off the top of my head:

Diarmuid Murphy (Kerry)
Marc O'Se (Kerry)
Barry Owens (Fermanagh)
Ryan McMenamin (Tyrone)
Philip Jordan (Tyrone)
Kieran McGeeney (Armagh)
Tomas O'Se (Kerry)
Paul McGrane (Armagh)
Dara O'Se (Kerry)
Oisin McConville (Armagh)
Sean Cavanagh (Tyrone)
Brian Dooher (Tyrone)
Colm Cooper (Kerry)
Steven McDonnell (Armagh)
Peter Canavan (Tyrone)

BENCH:
Ronan Clarke (Armagh)
Dessie Dolan (Westmeath)
Eamon O'Hara (Sligo)
Stephen O'Neill (Tyrone)
Paidi Joyce (Galway)
Graham Canty (Cork)
Alan Brogan (Dublin)
Francois Bellew (Armagh)
Paddy Bradley (Derry)
Declan Meehan (Galway)
Aidan O'Mahony (Kerry)
Conor Gormley (Tyrone)

I'm happy enough here. Obviously Armagh, Tyrone and Kerry dominate but these 3 counties have dominated the decade. But for some tight encounters they could be on 3 All Irelands each and I think my picks reflect this.

blewuporstuffed

owens at full back......

really? :-\
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

eireogatron

yup!! 2 all stars playing for a middlin at best team (for the majority of the decade). Great under the high ball, confident in possession, great engine. What more do you need??

corn02

Quote from: eireogatron on April 23, 2009, 04:19:19 PM
Oisin McConville would HAVE to be in this!! He is the top scorer in Ulster history, has won everything there is to win and I would say 80-90% of his scores came in this decade.

Off the top of my head:

Diarmuid Murphy (Kerry)
Marc O'Se (Kerry)
Barry Owens (Fermanagh)
Ryan McMenamin (Tyrone)
Philip Jordan (Tyrone)
Kieran McGeeney (Armagh)
Tomas O'Se (Kerry)
Paul McGrane (Armagh)
Dara O'Se (Kerry)
Oisin McConville (Armagh)
Sean Cavanagh (Tyrone)
Brian Dooher (Tyrone)
Colm Cooper (Kerry)
Steven McDonnell (Armagh)
Peter Canavan (Tyrone)

BENCH:
Ronan Clarke (Armagh)
Dessie Dolan (Westmeath)
Eamon O'Hara (Sligo)
Stephen O'Neill (Tyrone)
Paidi Joyce (Galway)
Graham Canty (Cork)
Alan Brogan (Dublin)
Francois Bellew (Armagh)
Paddy Bradley (Derry)
Declan Meehan (Galway)
Aidan O'Mahony (Kerry)
Conor Gormley (Tyrone)

I'm happy enough here. Obviously Armagh, Tyrone and Kerry dominate but these 3 counties have dominated the decade. But for some tight encounters they could be on 3 All Irelands each and I think my picks reflect this.

Oisin would not be far away all right, but the majority were from frees which is why the others just sneak past him in my eyes.

Owens? Come on.

Dessie Dolan and Brogan on the bench?

eireogatron

This is my team. Get over it!! I am choosing 15 from the entire inter county roster for the last 9 years!! There will be differences in everyones teams.

Oisin may have scored frees, but he SCORED THEM!! I never subscribe to the notion that frees are not as important as scores from play. They are harder for the most part as you HAVE to score them you are the only man on the field that can do it and the whole county relies on you, the pressure handling and nerve required to do this at that level is remarkable. Also, contributed greatly to all of Cross and Armaghs success from general play. IMO no McConville = no Armagh titles. Thats how important he is.

Owens - outstanding in bad team AT FULL BACK!winner of 2 all stars. I think he's the best about in his position.

Dessie Dolan - led, no - dragged,  Westmeath to their first ever championship and is a consistently high scorer

Alan Brogan - 5 Leinster titles or so, Dublins best player, scoring machine.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Any team without Declan Browne lacks credibility in my eyes. Don't think Oisin is that close to be honest. Superb free taker and arguably the best of the decade but in terms of footballing ability, creativity, scoring and general forward play, I'd have 3 Armagh men ahead of him this decade (Marsden, McDonnell and Clarke), never mind the rest of the country.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Hoopeddefender

P McConnell (Tyrone)

McMenamin(Tyrone)
McAnallenn(Tyrone)
Joe McMahon(Tyrone)

Cavlan (Tyrone)
Gormley (Tyrone)
Jordan (Tyrone)

Cavanagh (Tyrone)
McGinley (Tyrone)

Dooher (Tyrone)
Brian McGuigan (Tyrone)
Mellan (Tyrone)

Mulligan (Tyrone)
Canavan (Tyrone)
O'Neill (Tyrone)

'I don't want an apology, I want a locked back door.'

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: eireogatron on April 23, 2009, 04:36:17 PM
This is my team. Get over it!! I am choosing 15 from the entire inter county roster for the last 9 years!! There will be differences in everyones teams.

Oisin may have scored frees, but he SCORED THEM!! I never subscribe to the notion that frees are not as important as scores from play. They are harder for the most part as you HAVE to score them you are the only man on the field that can do it and the whole county relies on you, the pressure handling and nerve required to do this at that level is remarkable. Also, contributed greatly to all of Cross and Armaghs success from general play. IMO no McConville = no Armagh titles. Thats how important he is.

Owens - outstanding in bad team AT FULL BACK!winner of 2 all stars. I think he's the best about in his position.

Dessie Dolan - led, no - dragged,  Westmeath to their first ever championship and is a consistently high scorer

as you say there will be differences!!
and all of the above are worthy of a mention ,but wouldnt have any of them in my team, particularly not oisin at the expense of S.O'N
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

eireogatron

to be fair, i have brogan and dolan picking splinters out of their holes, not on the pitch.

SON soooooooo close but injuries and couple of lean years benched him in my opinion. Undoubtedly the best footballer I've ever seen live though (when flying fit) and scored the 2 best points I've ever seen live in the 05 Ulster Final replay at Croke.

Oisin has outscored every player in Ireland in the 00's and won every accolade both personal and team, club and county. He was indispensable for Armagh from 1997 - 2007 "the glory years". That in mind I dont see who can say that he doesn't merit a place. IMO of course.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Hoopeddefender on April 23, 2009, 04:41:10 PM
P McConnell (Tyrone)

McMenamin(Tyrone)
McAnallenn(Tyrone)
Joe McMahon(Tyrone)

Cavlan (Tyrone)
Gormley (Tyrone)
Jordan (Tyrone)

Cavanagh (Tyrone)
McGinley (Tyrone)

Dooher (Tyrone)
Brian McGuigan (Tyrone)
Mellan (Tyrone)

Mulligan (Tyrone)
Canavan (Tyrone)
O'Neill (Tyrone)

Cavlan at right half back  :P

eireogatron

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on April 23, 2009, 04:36:59 PM
Any team without Declan Browne lacks credibility in my eyes. Don't think Oisin is that close to be honest. Superb free taker and arguably the best of the decade but in terms of footballing ability, creativity, scoring and general forward play, I'd have 3 Armagh men ahead of him this decade (Marsden, McDonnell and Clarke), never mind the rest of the country.

totally disagree I'm afraid.

corn02

Quote from: eireogatron on April 23, 2009, 04:36:17 PM

Whole point of a discussion board is to discuss, not too tell people to "get over it".

Browne is a certainty. You can not talk about Dolan dragging teams through and then ignore Browne...IMO of course.

Hoopeddefender

Cavlan is in there to win the breaking ball and pluck some from the air. Not Cavanagh or McGinley's strong points I fell.
'I don't want an apology, I want a locked back door.'

SidelineKick

Quote from: Hoopeddefender on April 23, 2009, 05:01:50 PM
Cavlan is in there to win the breaking ball and pluck some from the air. Not Cavanagh or McGinley's strong points I fell.

Did you hurt yourself?
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.