Martinoneillsandroykeanesrepublicofireland.

Started by The Real Laoislad, April 22, 2009, 09:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Quote from: hardstation on November 20, 2009, 09:07:04 PM
Quote from: Minder on November 20, 2009, 09:05:56 PM
If anyone other than Keane raised the exact same points as Keane would there be the same type of vitriol ? I have just watched it and didnt disagree with any of it but because who is delivering the message the valid points are lost.
x2.

Yip, a bitter has-been whose performance at Ipswich gives him little room to lecture anyone about soccer tactics.

ONeill

Quote from: stew on November 20, 2009, 08:55:40 PM
Keane played his heart out for his Country but he has lost support from a vast amount of people with the way he has conducted himself when the saipan thing went down and since for his disparaging remarks about players and personnel in the Irish set up.

In twenty or thirty years time he will be remembered more for saipan by many people than his excellence and drive on the football field and that is a shame because he was an incredible player at times, easily one of Irelands best ever, he is making his bed and judging by the reactions on here he is going to have to lie in it with his legacy forever tarnished. Shame that.

Nonsense Stew. Anyone with a love for soccer will always appreciate the player he was. They said the same about Maradona. Now, talk about the best player ever, Maradona's name will always be mentioned. Talk about the best player Ireland had, Keane will, for the forseeable future, be mentioned.

He was 100% in this interview. The initial reaction for people in this part of the world (a leftover from a colonised land) is that British trait of wanting to find a scapegoat for hurt or failure. It's feckin sport. Don't play or watch the game if you think you cannot deal with misfortune.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

The Real Laoislad

If anyone other than Keane raised the exact same points as Keane would there be the same type of vitriol ? Many of the same points raised by various posters on here between the gnashing of teeth and hand wringing. I have just watched it and didnt disagree with any of it but because who is delivering the message the valid points are lost.

Would anyone else have blamed Shay Given?
Is there anyone else with a bigger chip on his shoulder?

He was right what he said about the Georgia game etc but could he just not have left it at that?
No not Our Roy he had to get his bitter little digs in ::)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ONeill

Quote from: longrunsthefox on November 20, 2009, 09:11:08 PM
Quote from: hardstation on November 20, 2009, 09:07:04 PM
If anyone other than Keane raised the exact same points as Keane would there be the same type of vitriol ? I have just watched it and didnt disagree with any of it but because who is delivering the message the valid points are lost.
x2.

Yip, a bitter has-been whose performance at Ipswich gives him little room to lecture anyone about soccer tactics.

That's silly. He has every right to comment on it having been a world-class player in his day. He has every right to comment on it if he was a bum.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: ONeill on November 20, 2009, 09:11:18 PM
Keane played his heart out for his Country but he has lost support from a vast amount of people with the way he has conducted himself when the saipan thing went down and since for his disparaging remarks about players and personnel in the Irish set up.

In twenty or thirty years time he will be remembered more for saipan by many people than his excellence and drive on the football field and that is a shame because he was an incredible player at times, easily one of Irelands best ever, he is making his bed and judging by the reactions on here he is going to have to lie in it with his legacy forever tarnished. Shame that.

Nonsense Stew. Anyone with a love for soccer will always appreciate the player he was. They said the same about Maradona. Now, talk about the best player ever, Maradona's name will always be mentioned. Talk about the best player Ireland had, Keane will, for the forseeable future, be mentioned.

He was 100% in this interview. The initial reaction for people in this part of the world (a leftover from a colonised land) is that British trait of wanting to find a scapegoat for hurt or failure. It's feckin sport. Don't play or watch the game if you think you cannot deal with misfortune.

Jees! O'Neill are you playing the that card again tonight?  ::)

Main Street

If anyone other than Keane raised the exact same points as Keane would there be the same type of vitriol ? Many of the same points raised by various posters on here between the gnashing of teeth and hand wringing. I have just watched it and didnt disagree with any of it but because who is delivering the message the valid points are lost.

Lets see what Keane's points were that you agree with

"People seem to forget what was going on in that World Cup (in 2002), and that man (FAI chief executive John Delaney) is on about honesty. I was one of the players and he didn't have the courtesy to ring me".

Saipan  ;D 
Wasn't Delaney the FAI treasurer then? why would Roy want a phone call from the treasurer?

"There was one match against Georgia where Ireland got a penalty and it was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen which changed the whole course of the game. I don't remember the FAI after the game saying we should give them a replay."
Worst decision?  ;D
The ball hit the shoulder of a Georgian player in full view of the ref who gave a penalty. No Irish player cheated.

"I'd focus on why they didn't clear it (the free-kick). I'd be more annoyed with my defenders and my goalkeeper than Thierry Henry. How can you let the ball bounce in your six-yard box? How can you let Thierry Henry get goal-side of you? If the ball goes into the six-yard box, where the hell is my goalkeeper?"

So is Roy the only bright spark to allude to McShane's  culpability?
But I'd say he certainly is the only one to mention Given

"Ireland had their chances in the two games (against France), and they never took them," Keane added. "But it's the usual FAI reaction - 'We've been robbed', 'The honesty of the game...'

Ireland had their chances and should have buried the tie in a magnificent performance in Paris which should have been the biggest shock result in international football for many a year.
We were robbed by an act of cheating.
The FAI got carried away on a fools errand ...... big fxcking deal. 

longrunsthefox

Is all Roy's personal baggage. He needs to sort Ipswich out and stop making  a tit of himself... again  :P 

Denn Forever

I'd be more annoyed with my defenders and my goalkeeper than Thierry Henry.

Bitter rant?

Jesus, 7 years on and he still devdes people :-\
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Main Street

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 20, 2009, 09:35:20 PM

Bitter rant?

I wouldn't consider a langer who idolises Roy as having an opinion worth valueing.
That leaves the divide at about 95 out of 100 who think Roy is just using the opportunity to vent his old bitter grudge against the FAI.

stew

Quote from: ONeill on November 20, 2009, 09:11:18 PM

If you mean 100% wrong then I agree with you. Maradonna loves his country, never walked out on his country and never divided his Country the way Keane did, people have picked sides on this one for the most part, read the pages on this thread for proof of that. I will always think of his actions in Saipan before I think of his great performances on the field because the stakes were as high as they had ever been and he let a lot of people who swore by him down, if not his Country depending on your point of view.

O'Neill it would appear that Roy holds Shay Given, another Irish legend as a scapegoat, the same goes for the entire defensive unit, who by the way held the french to a single flukey goal in 193 minutes of football, oh yeah, and the FAI were to blame as well, go talk to Roy about your theory on post colonial bollocks.

I dont need a scapegoat but it is interesting that you have yet to say a word about Henry's cheating (ex Arsenal player) and that you agree with Keane, you then by your own definition seem to agree that the keeper and defense are to blame, hence maiking them the scapegoats.

Finally I am an Armagh fan, I have dealt with more misfortune that you ever will.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

muppet

Quote from: Main Street on November 20, 2009, 09:46:28 PM

Bitter rant?

I wouldn't consider a langer who idolises Roy as having an opinion worth valueing.
That leaves the divide at about 95 out of 100 who think Roy is just using the opportunity to vent his old bitter grudge against the FAI.

Does the opposite also apply?
MWWSI 2017

Main Street

Quote from: muppet on November 20, 2009, 09:49:13 PM

Bitter rant?

Whats the opposite to a langer ?

stew

Quote from: Main Street on November 20, 2009, 09:54:51 PM

Bitter rant?

A clanger?  ;)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Minder

If Terry Henry logs on he will be glad of this thread.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

muppet

Quote from: Main Street on November 20, 2009, 09:54:51 PM

Bitter rant?

I'll make it easy for you.

Would you agree with this statement?

I wouldn't consider a langer who hates Roy as having an opinion worth valueing (sic).
MWWSI 2017