Helmets

Started by Hoopeddefender, April 21, 2009, 01:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoopeddefender

Do they make you braver and therefore better? I don't use one but recently have been thinking I should because i am not afraid to admit I still get the fear from time to time - we all do apart from the local idiot (you know the type, long curly hair, runny nose, squinty eye and scares) - and think i possibly pull out of some things.
'I don't want an apology, I want a locked back door.'

whiskeysteve

get the full whack:

helmet, gloves on both hands, shinguards, chest armour...
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

dowling

Is it time to co-ordinate helmets with county colours instead of the mish mash that teams go out in?

theskull1

Jesus no dowling....its the only way to distinguish between players at times.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

dowling

Know where you're coming from Skull but how must it look to outsiders and surely if there's a need for uniformity of socks, partly for distinction, then why not the headgear?

whiskeysteve

Quote from: dowling on April 21, 2009, 02:53:44 PM
Know where you're coming from Skull but how must it look to outsiders and surely if there's a need for uniformity of socks, partly for distinction, then why not the headgear?

Jeez lad if it aint broke dont fix it. What next, same colour boots for footballers?
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

theskull1

The increased wearing of helmets has seriously reduced the number of recognisable hurlers. For teams to wear the same helmet would strip whatever individualism they have available to them. I would hate the idea of it myself

the colonel

sure from next yr everyone has to wear a helmet anyway

lots of players choose their club colours for a helmet- e.g. eoin larken has a branded james stephens one.

lots of hurlers seem to stick to one colour throughout their career if not the same helmet the whole time
the difference between success and failure is energy

dowling

Understand the recognition point but will there not have to be a natural progression to uniformity of helmets? I can't think of another team sport where there isn't uniformity where proper helmets are used.

cornafean

If they designed helmets with players faces painted onto them, we'd have no problem knowing who's who :)

Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

slow corner back

Its only a matter of time until the cork hurlers have adverts on their helmets,lol :D

highking

Quote from: whiskeysteve on April 21, 2009, 01:48:31 PM
get the full whack:

helmet, gloves on both hands, shinguards, chest armour...

Dont forget the sports cup either - incase you get one in the you know wheres. Also, a gumshield incase anything comes through the faceguard...

Seriously, I wouldnt like to see uniformity in helmets. It would take away the individualism. Lads would have to have different helmets for club, county and college/school then and that just wont happen..

johnneycool

Ronan Curran & company are designing a new helmet for Cork where they can rehydrate with Club energise at any time during the game hence improving revenue for said players as well as improving their performance.

It will be based on this current model.

Lecale2

There's no face guard on that helmet JC. It doesn't meet the Croke Pk specification.

theskull1

Quote from: Lecale2 on April 22, 2009, 09:20:03 AM
There's no face guard on that helmet JC. It doesn't meet the Croke Pk specification.

Mightn't protect them from the hurl, but at least they'll be able to hide the 08 brigades shame if they have any.